Wrestling Draft Round 2: Cor vs Dr Pepper

Which card do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I can't imagine caring about how well a card would draw in any specific place or time.

One can argue that not having titles on the line is a mark against it, but the viability and draw power of the card is an illegitimate argument, in my honest opinion.

And even regarding the titles. I’d prefer letting the card speak for itself. I don’t need a 12 match card with 10 different titles on the line to give a sense of “prestige” to try and make average matches seem better than they are

What exactly is suspended over the ring in the ladder match?

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I mean, that’s an impossible question to ask in terms of selling out a specific venue. However I firmly believe this is a card that would sell out a large venue in Japan.

Okada, Angle, Kobashi, Shibata, Almas, White

I think people forget that Almas, then La Sombre has a history in Japan. He teamed with Naito. The Japanese crowd 100% knows who he is, and would see the value that Okada vs Almas is, and go see a first time ever match there.

Angle is an international star, and this is essentially the attraction match.

Kobashi vs Shibata is a dream match.

Jay White is a star over there, and he and Buddy would tear the roof off the place.

One can argue that not having titles on the line is a mark against it, but the viability and draw power of the card is an illegitimate argument, in my honest opinion.
ehh agree to disagree.
it's obv a workrate card and it has that in spades, but it is the weakest card remaining in regards to pairing big names for big time matches IMO.

As La Sombra, he wasn't that big of a deal in NJPW. Not discounting him because he's a great wrestler and I'm not implying he was a nobody when he did those tours, but his star power in reality vs. what you think he could be are 2 completely different things.

There is some value in Japan to an Okada/Almas match, but the reality is that value is to maybe be the headline for a C-level show. Just don't see how its a big match that is worthy of main eventing a fantasy dream card.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
its a weird situation because when Okada and Naito go to mexico it doesnt even draw. theyre not in the mainevent and people go see their Lucha Libre. not Japan.
like Naito's all gimmick with his eye thing is because mexicans were being racist and kept yelling "to open his eyes"
of course youll find the big fans wearing NJPW shirts and stuff.

but anyways. its also a weird ass argument asking where the card is.
it shouldnt matter at all. in my head is these two shows are on the same night. which one do i throw my money at.... the answer is Cor. because im gonna enjoy that show much more. both cards are good. but Cor has what i like outt of the two.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
ehh agree to disagree.
it's obv a workrate card and it has that in spades, but it is the weakest card remaining in regards to pairing big names for big time matches IMO.

As La Sombra, he wasn't that big of a deal in NJPW. Not discounting him because he's a great wrestler and I'm not implying he was a nobody when he did those tours, but his star power in reality vs. what you think he could be are 2 completely different things.

There is some value in Japan to an Okada/Almas match, but the reality is that value is to maybe be the headline for a C-level show. Just don't see how its a big match that is worthy of main eventing a fantasy dream card.
Cor needs Mr. America on his card :naughty:

Reactions: Emperoreddy

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I can't imagine caring about how well a card would draw in any specific place or time.

What exactly is suspended over the ring in the ladder match?

Is what is hanging a difference maker at the end of the day?

Could be a briefcase full of money
Could be a a map to buried treasure and a new pirate gimmick.

If I was a consistent promotion, it could be a title, or a contract for a future title shot.

Could be a surprise for the wrestlers and the winner actually loses and gets fired.

Just know that Jeff Hardy, Darby Allin, Jordan Devlin, & Sydal are going to kill themselves with different spots.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017

If I was a consistent promotion, it could be a title, or a contract for a future title shot.

Could be a surprise for the wrestlers and the winner actually loses and gets fired.

Just know that Jeff Hardy, Darby Allin, Jordan Devlin, & Sydal are going to kill themselves with different spots.
So it's literally a collection of guys doing spots for the sake of spots?

No prize really gives an air of lack of effort IMO.

I may be the minority but it'd be hard to sell me on any show that's just a list of matches. I'd try to research a show as to what to expect if the poster was just a collection of match headlines.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
i prefer not knowing what theyre fighting over, than putting titles on the line in every match, like some other cards.
i guess he coulda pick TLC instead and go with a pin/submission ending instead of forcing him to have something hanging.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Aha, I take this to mean that you didn't bother thinking about it. So you have no answer as to what the people in the ladder match, that you decided to book, are actually trying to win?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
ehh agree to disagree.

Okada is arguably (though, not that much of an argument against it) the best wrestler in the world today. He’s a draw in Japan all by himself.

Adding in Shibata vs Kobashi, which again, is a dream match, especially in Japan, and a guy like Angle in a match, and a Jay White match in the undercard, would do insanely well in Japan.

But, I don’t see the importance of whether it’s large, medium, or small venues, or in someone’s backyard. It’s about the card and which one you want to see.

If @Dr Pepper card, is the one you would buy a ticket too, over mine, and I totally see the appeal of DP’s card, then vote for DP. If you’d rather buy a ticket to mine, then vote for mine.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
theyre trying to win a match and this argument is f***ing useless.
imagine a booker put this ladder match and you go... "But what are they fighting for?? this is dumb. im leavin to see IRS vs Rocky Johnson across the street"

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
theyre trying to win a match and this argument is ****ing useless.
imagine a booker put this ladder match and you go... "But what are they fighting for?? this is dumb. im leavin to see IRS vs Rocky Johnson across the street"
Someone's touchy.

Yes I will often ask why people are fighting. Almost always. Part of wrestling. Your attempt to mock people having different tastes is f***ing useless.

As said I did vote for Cor. Are people not allowed to ask questions? Cor should win in a landslide I guess, and that's the bottom line cause Disclose said so.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Aha, I take this to mean that you didn't bother thinking about it. So you have no answer as to what the people in the ladder match, that you decided to book, are actually trying to win?

I mean, they are trying to win the match. What is actually hanging above the ring, is irrelevant in a one off show.

As I said before, I let the wrestlers on the card prove the worth, more than irrelevant titles. I don't care about titles and prizes just for the sake of having titles and prizes.

The Cor Heavyweight Championship, or Cor in the Bank, means nothing regardless, and I don't see the point in taking titles from the WWE or NXT, or NJPW, or ROH, or TNA, and having them randomly on the line. Where realistically, they aren't going to change hands in another promotion, so it makes things predictable.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Someone's touchy.

Yes I will often ask why people are fighting. Almost always. Part of wrestling. Your attempt to mock people having different tastes is ****ing useless.

As said I did vote for Cor. Are people not allowed to ask questions? Cor should win in a landslide I guess, and that's the bottom line cause Disclose said so.
- voters are asked to judge cards people drafted
- get heat for passing judgment on said cards
very interesting

Reactions: HandsomeHollywood

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So it's literally a collection of guys doing spots for the sake of spots?

No prize really gives an air of lack of effort IMO.

I may be the minority but it'd be hard to sell me on any show that's just a list of matches. I'd try to research a show as to what to expect if the poster was just a collection of match headlines.

Multi-Man Ladder Matches are always spot fests, so yes, it is a multi-man ladder match lmao

And I'll refer to my previous post for the rest.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Someone's touchy.

Yes I will often ask why people are fighting. Almost always. Part of wrestling. Your attempt to mock people having different tastes is ****ing useless.

- voters are asked to judge cards people drafted
- get heat for passing judgment on said cards
very interesting

I have no issues with the questions btw.

I got asked nothing in round 1, so it's nice to be able to discuss the card and viewpoints.

Reactions: HandsomeHollywood

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
Someone's touchy.

i havent even vote for Cor once . youre the one crying lol.
i just think its dumb questioning whats hanging and "not wanting" to see this over a missing briefcase/belt

in a match where you'll see crazy spots and that was his answer. he booked this knowing it was gonna be a spot fest and thats enough to want to see this particular match.

Elvis P

Night Gallery
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Mr. America v Juan Cena in Poseidon Adventure Death Match onboard the USS Intrepid = BUYS
mr-america.0.0.0.jpg

HandsomeHollywood

Mar 20, 2017
i havent even vote for Cor once . youre the one crying lol.
i just think its dumb questioning whats hanging and "not wanting" to see this over a missing briefcase/belt

in a match where you'll see crazy spots and that was his answer. he booked this knowing it was gonna be a spot fest and thats enough to want to see this particular match.
Unless the fact that there'll be crazy spots and the wrestlers involved aren't enough for me to want to see match. The questioning was maybe to get some more to entice me. I also questioned Eddy over the exact same decision in round 1.

Different people have different tastes, I'm not going to swear at people and mock another's card over it though.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
theyre trying to win a match and this argument is ****ing useless.

Hey, if that's the match that brings you to BMO Field, I'm more than happy to have you. :laugh:

I mean, there are better matches on the card, that one was just the "middle" part of the "three-generation" finale. Felt it was a nice touch, and fitting given what I was going for.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I mean, they are trying to win the match. What is actually hanging above the ring, is irrelevant in a one off show.

As I said before, I let the wrestlers on the card prove the worth, more than irrelevant titles. I don't care about titles and prizes just for the sake of having titles and prizes.

The Cor Heavyweight Championship, or Cor in the Bank, means nothing regardless, and I don't see the point in taking titles from the WWE or NXT, or NJPW, or ROH, or TNA, and having them randomly on the line. Where realistically, they aren't going to change hands in another promotion, so it makes things predictable.

I assume that they are trying to win the match. Before you stated that there weren't titles on the line I was content to assume that they were competing for some title and that was fine. I certainly don't care which title it is. It isn't going to be a make or break, as some overly defensive posts have tried to paint it, but it's a very strange decision to refuse to state the prize of a match where the point is the prize as opposed to pinning or submitting the opponent. If it was pretty much any other match type it wouldn't be noteworthy, but this is a ladder match.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
My imagination tells me that there are three HFBoards wrestling draft votes above the ladder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad