GDT: Wrestlemania 40

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I feel like Seth has a lot of potential big matches/feuds lined up and none of them are good for him lol.

Seth vs. Drew rematch? Drew should go over.
Seth vs. Cody? Cody's going over.
Seth vs. Rock? Rock probably ain't putting Seth over if Rock is inevitably putting Cody and Roman over.
Seth vs. Punk? Punk probably going over.
Seth vs. Roman? Considering Roman has put over Seth every time... Roman probably going over.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don’t think we’ll see Seth vs. Cody any time soon.

Seth doesn’t need to beat Dwayne I don’t think.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Side note: I feel like LA Knight didn't belong in the ring at all last night.

Like, in and out of character... Everybody in the ring was either smiley white-meat babyface or had heavy ties into Cody or the Bloodline.

Knight isn't a smiley white-meat babyface, I don't know that he's had any on screen interaction with Cody at all, and his Bloodline ties were just as another challenger that went down to a screwy finish.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I feel like Seth has a lot of potential big matches/feuds lined up and none of them are good for him lol.

Seth vs. Drew rematch? Drew should go over.
Seth vs. Cody? Cody's going over.
Seth vs. Rock? Rock probably ain't putting Seth over if Rock is inevitably putting Cody and Roman over.
Seth vs. Punk? Punk probably going over.
Seth vs. Roman? Considering Roman has put over Seth every time... Roman probably going over.
Weird. I was thinking the same. Seth is pretty lost right now. He looked totally defeated last night though, after both his match and the main event. Dudes just banged up and worn out. I wouldn’t hate him taking a long break here. Six months or more. He can cut the promo this week about how he’s injured, his respect for Drew, his well wishes for Damien and the title, some shots at Punk, and a tip of the cap (with a wink to Cody) to Roman for the poetic chair shot to his back.

Then he can just go and do the family thing for the rest of the year. The company is absolutely humming along right now. They don’t need Seth to keep the momentum going and he’s earned the break.

Same goes for Roman.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Another nice tidbit is (while never actually teased on TV or dirt sheets or anything) alot of chatter on internet was about Seth possibly turning on Cody. Seth kind of had that stain of the sheild turn on him, could he ever be trusted again, but at Mania he sacrificed everything he had for Cody to finish the story. Seth redemption arc right there.

Helping take down the monster he crested.

There's so many damn good layers to this.

Reactions: SnS

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I went to bed prior to the shitshow, knowing cody was going to win and it would be overbooked...may go back and watch later...

Overall WM was good...sami/Gunther was match of the weekend for me

Lots of "why is this on WM" for me...such as the street profits 6 man, the 6 woman, et al

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
DM Hung is goated LOL!

1712591654756.png

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Drew has nobody to blame for losing his title but himself. His own hubris cost it, and it was absolute f***ing cinema.
The irony that the whole time he was telling seth to focus on him and not the bloodline, and it was his own focus on someone else that cost him.

Weird. I was thinking the same. Seth is pretty lost right now. He looked totally defeated last night though, after both his match and the main event. Dudes just banged up and worn out. I wouldn’t hate him taking a long break here. Six months or more. He can cut the promo this week about how he’s injured, his respect for Drew, his well wishes for Damien and the title, some shots at Punk, and a tip of the cap (with a wink to Cody) to Roman for the poetic chair shot to his back.

Then he can just go and do the family thing for the rest of the year. The company is absolutely humming along right now. They don’t need Seth to keep the momentum going and he’s earned the break.

Same goes for Roman.
The way HHH gushed about both in the presser and the work they put in, it’s almost a foregone conclusion they’re both taking some time off.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I went to bed prior to the shitshow, knowing cody was going to win and it would be overbooked...may go back and watch later...

Lots of "why is this on WM" for me...such as the street profits 6 man, the 6 woman, et al
The men’s I don’t get. The women’s was to get the biggest talents on the card.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

The Street Profits match was completely unnecessary, but ended up being a fun watch. Just an excuse to get a few guys on the show I guess.

Reactions: Fro

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Thought night 2 was ok. First match was pretty good, Second match wasn't and thought Knight/Styles was meh. Triple threat was probably the best match wrestling wise but I can't stand Paul or Orton so was hoping KO won. Bayley/Sky was really good. The main event was pretty cringe to me all around. Overbooked, mediocre wrestling at best and very cringey post match celebration. I'm very happy to see the belt off Reigns though.

As for Priest winning the title, I only watch WWE sporadically but he sure doesn't seem like a world champion to me. Going from losing in a 5 team tag match where two teams won to winning the World title the next night seems weird.

Last edited:

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I loved all the run ins on the final match. Reminded me of the attitude era.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I couldn't watch tonight live because of beer league hockey. Thankfully avoided spoilers before watching the replay. Probably have to go back and watch a few of the matches though since I had to fast forward to get to sleep at a reasonable hour.

Would have made no sense, but I would have enjoyed it if Maven had shown up for no reason to eliminate Undertaker.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Thought night 2 was ok. First match was pretty good, Second match wasn't and thought Knight/Styles was meh. Triple threat was probably the best match wrestling wise but I can't stand Paul or Orton so was hoping KO won. Bayley/Sky was really good. The main event was pretty cringe to me all around. Overbooked, mediocre wrestling at best and very cringey post match celebration. I'm very happy to see the belt off Reigns though.

As for Priest winning the title, I only watch WWE sporadically but he sure doesn't seem like a world champion to me. Going from losing in a 5 team tag match where two teams won to winning the World title the next night seems weird.
That’s a little bit history in the event though. We’ve seen Bret Hart and Seth Rollins lose clean at Wrestlemania and end the night as the champion.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm a big Priest fan. I think he has a great look and is a great talker. I wish he was a few inches taller because his moveset - especially his finisher - is tailor made for an Undertaker style character.

I think this leads to a feud between Priest and Balor once Balor gets jealous. I hope they keep Priest as sort of an anti-hero rather than white meat babyface. Unless they turn Balor face.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I see a lot of praise for the ending, as more of a casusl viewer these days, I thought it was a mess, and not in a good way.

Stage was set for Austin to come out....and boy, he sure didn't. I absolutely love Taker but him coming out was about as blatant as a desperate plan B as you'll see. It made zero sense to have Taker come out and decide the world title match, absolutely zero.

"We couldn't get Austin? Oh well, just send Taker out there instead for the dumb f***s"

And sure enough, the clapping seals ate it up.

Maybe I'm just too old for this shit, but god forbid your biggest show of the years main event makes an iota of sense.

I do think overall though it was a step up over the last couple, though that's a low bar.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I see a lot of praise for the ending, as more of a casusl viewer these days, I thought it was a mess, and not in a good way.

Stage was set for Austin to come out....and boy, he sure didn't. I absolutely love Taker but him coming out was about as blatant as a desperate plan B as you'll see. It made zero sense to have Taker come out and decide the world title match, absolutely zero.

"We couldn't get Austin? Oh well, just send Taker out there instead for the dumb f***s"

And sure enough, the clapping seals ate it up.

Maybe I'm just too old for this shit, but god forbid your biggest show of the years main event makes an iota of sense.
Austin coming out made zero sense. His history is way too far back with Rock.

Undertaker has recent history with losing to Roman at Wrestlemania. It also makes sense that Taker was portrayed as a "final boss" of sorts and Rock started calling himself that.

Austin would have gotten a huge pop but made zero contextual sense.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad