Post-Game Talk: Wrapup : Game 4 CHI @ DET

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
12806843-standard.jpg

CC sure knows how to whipe out with style. We need to get the goalie cam footage and make a gif of it!

Our new Demolition Man!

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The Hawks have ripped off everything they do from the glory period pre-cap Red Wings including all of these shenanigans. They haven't mastered it in the same way and been taught by the best at it. The Wings play up to that line. By the way the biggest blown call of the night was the decision to let the Hawks avoid a 5 on 3 on a blatant cross check.

The Wings don't make a lot of obvious penalty calls, they just don't. The Hawks are getting wrung up and actually getting off on what I consider to be some pretty blatant ones, like boarding and cross checking. A high stick is a high stick, you can whine about it but it is one of the easiest calls in sports and it has to be called every time. Toews has to keep his stick down he knows this and his reactions to them are befuddling and it is rubbing off on his teammates imo.
Exactly. It was very stupid of him to complain about that call. High stick is an Automatic call. A very bad sign for the Hawks they captain losing it.
We love it.
I remember when some posters were wanting to play the all the rookies and give up on the season... not even try to make the playoffs because we'd just get swept in the first round anyway and it was more important to get the youngsters some ice time.

Just get to the playoffs and anything can happen.
Getting hot at the right time.

Howard
Special teaams (they won us the game)
team defence

Other than Howard I do not know if we can single out one player for a star.

Iowa Wingsfan

Jan 9, 2012
My expectations for this series were very low. Being this surprised at how well the Wings are playing is a new feeling for me, and it is kind of cool. This is the best 3 game stretch they have played in a long time, perfect timing. Blackhawk tears taste delicious.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
This is awesome. Everything is literally gravy. Regardless if we win or lose this series, the fact remains. The beat writer who said the Hawks were the hammer and we were the hammer was sorely mistaken. Now with that being said, let's show the Hawks the door as we say our good byes to our divisional rival of many years laughing the last laugh.

Plowevelski

wuts this SCF thing?
Nov 19, 2010
BASED PETE DaBoAR
You guys are kicking serious ass. Very impressive. If my Sharks don't win the next 2 games I'll be hoping the Wings go all the way for sure :yo:

I hope they do win the next 2 games so we could have one last match up before the Wings head east and this time it would be to decide who goes to the big dance :yo: Also **** NBC and the NHL :laugh:

Finish them!

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
it's funny seeing zetterberg look so nonplussed when toews tries to react and confront him

This is really a key to what's happening. Nancy boy Toews is swatting at Henk all the time and Henk just ignores him like he's not even there. Sign of maturity by Henk and makes Toews look like an azzclown

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
This is really a key to what's happening. Nancy boy Toews is swatting at Henk all the time and Henk just ignores him like he's not even there. Sign of maturity by Henk and makes Toews look like an azzclown

That's why I think you should let a veteran get the C even if he's not the best player, maturity, control over emotions and leadership is something you gain with experience.

Not that Toews is a kid anymore, his young compared to Z but do have a lot of experience already, so I guess that contradict my thought a bit, but still...

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Everyone is playing well right now.

But to be fair, this game was not ALL red wings, and NO blackhawks.

If anything, Chicago out played us this game.
Howard beat that.

The Blackhawks have hit alot of posts.

Lets be honest about a few things. We have been getting some "puck luck", "good breaks". However you want to call it.

That being said... everyone is working hard out there.

Did anyone else notice Brunner back checking??? (horrible defensive during the year, skating harder to backcheck than to score!)

Nyquist... what can i say, he looks like mini datsyuk. For a regular player its amazing. If it was datsyuk himself, we would say he was snake bitten. Darren Helm earned his Detroit red wings spurs in the playoffs. I think Nyquist just won his spot on the roster for next year. He did amazingly well. (again!)

I am watching abdelkader and cleary out there. They are working hard, I am not seeing anyone fall down. They are throwing hits, going to the net. They are doing there job. They can't be Datsyuk, but the point is they are not trying to be datsyuk (not everyone can be). But we need their play to win. Without cleary screen, kindl doesnt score. These are big plays.

How about Smith and KQ playing well defensively. I mean how about Kronwall playing well defensively.

Bottom line though, Howard makes our team look better.

I don't ever want to see people complain about him again.
$5 million goalie... yes... is he playing better than Lundquist right now..ya
is he playing better than Quick right now?....
Lets hope we find out!!!

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Pretty sure it was Abby screening on the Kindl goal.

Cleary still ain't worth his contract.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I remember when some posters were wanting to play the all the rookies and give up on the season... not even try to make the playoffs because we'd just get swept in the first round anyway and it was more important to get the youngsters some ice time.

Just get to the playoffs and anything can happen.

Isn't it the young guys making the difference right now though? On defense and that third line.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
We definitely had some luck with Chicago hitting the posts a few times. One thing I did notice is the Wings had a lot of point blank chances but couldn't place the shot. By point blank I mean between the dots and the net with no screen, just the goalie to beat. I think Cleary, Smith and Brunner had chances but either hit Crawford on the pads or hit the side of the net. A little right or left or lift of the puck and they could've scored more.

I think the theme for this playoffs is "weathering the storm". The Wings have been able to dominate for certain periods of the game, but when they are under pressure, they are able to relieve it by pure determination. Which is great to see.

Then there is Jimmy who is probably our MVP right now. He's had some luck, but he's giving confidence to the team with his performances and he was rewarded with a shutout. Remember when people said we wouldn't win a series with Jimmy in net? And Ericsson was overpaid? And Abdelkader was a scrub (to be fair I was one of them)? They are making us eat our words.

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
That's why I think you should let a veteran get the C even if he's not the best player, maturity, control over emotions and leadership is something you gain with experience.

Not that Toews is a kid anymore, his young compared to Z but do have a lot of experience already, so I guess that contradict my thought a bit, but still...

I think somebody else mentioned the same type of thing, but both teams seem to really be taking after their captains right now. In the first or second after Crawford made a save somebody pushed/hacked Nyquist trying to get him to react but he just did a fly by after the whistle and completly ignored that he was even touched. Z is leading like Stevie used to and it's having a trickle down effect. Just like the Duck series, your leaders start to lose it and down goes the whole team.

Who would've thought the Wings, especially Zetterberg, would be the guy causing the other team to lose their minds? He's really being a super pest without doing anything.

crashman

It's funny how the 2 contracts that I've criticized the most were Ericcson's and Howard's, now they are arguably our 2 playoff MVPs.

Apparently Ken Holland has better foresight and resources than a HFBoards poster, imagine that...

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Everyone is playing well right now.

But to be fair, this game was not ALL red wings, and NO blackhawks.

If anything, Chicago out played us this game.
Howard beat that.

The Blackhawks have hit alot of posts.

Lets be honest about a few things. We have been getting some "puck luck", "good breaks". However you want to call it.

That being said... everyone is working hard out there.

Did anyone else notice Brunner back checking??? (horrible defensive during the year, skating harder to backcheck than to score!)

Nyquist... what can i say, he looks like mini datsyuk. For a regular player its amazing. If it was datsyuk himself, we would say he was snake bitten. Darren Helm earned his Detroit red wings spurs in the playoffs. I think Nyquist just won his spot on the roster for next year. He did amazingly well. (again!)

I am watching abdelkader and cleary out there. They are working hard, I am not seeing anyone fall down. They are throwing hits, going to the net. They are doing there job. They can't be Datsyuk, but the point is they are not trying to be datsyuk (not everyone can be). But we need their play to win. Without cleary screen, kindl doesnt score. These are big plays.

How about Smith and KQ playing well defensively. I mean how about Kronwall playing well defensively.

Bottom line though, Howard makes our team look better.

I don't ever want to see people complain about him again.
$5 million goalie... yes... is he playing better than Lundquist right now..ya
is he playing better than Quick right now?....
Lets hope we find out!!!

Having Howie play so well allows a guy to make a mistake and not have it be fatal everytime. That keeps the mistakes from destroying the confidence. Hopefully they keep learning from the mistakes and that's how you build a great team. Howie has been outstanding.

So many good things happening. Nyquist and Brunner backchecking like crazy.D positioning much better. If there is one negative, we still give up way too many breakaways. That's gonna burn us eventually. Howie can't stand on his head forever

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I think we should be very careful. The Hawks have hit the iron many times in last 3 games. Seems like the breaks are going our way, but it can turn around quickly and what then?
Fortunately their coach and their captain are losing it and that is a very good sign for us.

JBauerly97

Jan 8, 2013
Coldwater, MI
I think we should be very careful. The Hawks have hit the iron many times in last 3 games. Seems like the breaks are going our way, but it can turn around quickly and what then?
Fortunately their coach and their captain are losing it and that is a very good sign for us.

When you think about the Hawks having to win 3 in a row you'd like no way it'll happen. But then when you break it down game by game, it's definitely possible. Win at home, steal a game back at the Joe and then boom, game 7 just like that. Hopefully Babcock makes damn sure the Wings don't have any kind of let down. I think he really wants to bury them bad in their own barn tomorrow night. Hopefully the entire team gets that message and delivers.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
Nyquist is a keeper AINEC. What a boss.

Was at a dinner last night, and did not see too much of the game.

After I watch the tape I may place a vote, but in the mean time I request having the option to vote for "The Nose" who repsected the streak and went with his Helm jersey last night.

Nose...please be sure the jersey is in a safe place and ready to go for Saturday.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Jimmeh and big E: for the haters :D
Z: because I can't go vote for Toews

Pens fan here. What you guys are doing is absolutely amazing. Just one question: Who is this Toews person? I thought his name was Zetterberg's *****. ;)

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Lets hope the whole team gets the message! Go Redwings! #InBabsWeTrust scratch that #InJimmyWeTrust

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Red Wings are terrific in their own zone, when without the puck. Their man coverage and stickwork is stellar. Notice how Hawks could not even set up their PP: all because of Wings speed, backchecking, and positioning.

But as soon as they get the puck, it's like they forget how to skate, pass, or stickhandle. I've never seen a winning team turn the puck over so much. We are exceptionally lucky Chicago can't capitalize at all (Howard, posts, Kronwall, etc.). They really need to work on puck possession in their own zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad