Confirmed Trade: [WPG/VGK] Paul Stastny for 2022 4th round pick and Carl Dahlstrom

googleIsMyFriend

Dec 6, 2016
Really good trade for both sides. Stastny is still a hig quality player and exactly what Jets need. He left from Winnipeg because Jets did'n have coin for him at that time. We have to remember, it was stacked team cap wise and Vegas just offered more.
Now both Buff and Little are gone, so they afford him. Next aim is to get high quality defender for Jets.

So, is Vegas after Pietrangelo?

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
What cap reasons? The Jets are not strapped for cap space. Stastny's 1 year deal does not affect the cap next year either.
A couple of months ago, the sports news were running cap space things, and mentioned Winnipeg having a really tight cap situation. I guess they were wrong, or were counting in Little coming back from LTIR.

According to Capfriendly: Winnipeg Jets - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps the Jets have about 4.2 million in capspace, and Little would add almost 5.3 million when activated. Unless the 4.2 million already includes Little. Plus they probably need 1 more D-man, as they currently have just 5.

Hmm, and summer/autumn 2021 is going to be interesting for the Jets. They have just 8 players + Little (if he can play) signed for 2021-22, and Laine, Lowry & Perreault might ask for a decent raise.

I get a "Win now" vibe from the Jets, with the Stastny trade. Maybe they will still trade for one more Top 4?

Last edited:

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
A couple of months ago, the sports news were running cap space things, and mentioned Winnipeg having a really tight cap situation. I guess they were wrong, or were counting in Little coming back from LTIR.

According to Capfriendly: Winnipeg Jets - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps the Jets have about 4.2 million in capspace, and Little would add almost 5.3 million when activated. Unless the 4.2 million already includes Little. Plus they probably need 1 more D-man, as they currently have just 5.

Hmm, and summer/autumn 2021 is going to be interesting for the Jets. They have just 8 players + Little (if he can play) signed for 2021-22, and Laine, Lowry & Perreault might ask for a decent raise.

I get a "Win now" vibe from the Jets, with the Stastny trade. Maybe they will still trade for one more Top 4?
I think it's more of a re-tool and try to compete not a win now. Stastny buys us time at finding a 2C solution (hopefully Perfetti). Perreault is getting a massive cut not a raise lol. Lowry, maybe a small raise but realistically he is a good 4th line C or a mediocre third line C.

Laine is another can of worms.

Little's career is likely over unfortunately, was a great player for the Jets for a long time. Sad to see what happened to him.

Reactions: Atoyot

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
What's the alternative? They need someone to play 2C and Stastny's an upgrade.

Like I said I can see some of the reason Winnipeg did it. But I feel the competition for him was all of Winnipeg and no one else. So I think Kevin overpaid considering the competition was as weak as I suspect it was.

Can none of your wingers move to center?

If any of them could play center and a pitch for Taylor Hall could be made.

Reactions: hn777

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Like I said I can see some of the reason Winnipeg did it. But I feel the competition for him was all of Winnipeg and no one else. So I think Kevin overpaid considering the competition was as weak as I suspect it was.

Can none of your wingers move to center?

If any of them could play center and a pitch for Taylor Hall could be made.

There aren't an awful lot of 2C options on the market, and the Jets have tried moving Wheeler to center but it's not a great fit.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
We have no salary cap issues and his contract is only for 1 year.

I guess I just have little faith in a player that has been inconsistent in his whole career making an impact for the Jets next year.
He'll be 35 by the time the season starts up. That's not an age where you see a lot of contribution from second line centers that weren't all stars or even superstars their whole career.

I do understand that he's going to have some very good wingers helping him along though. He's always been a bit Jekyll and Hyde. Winnipeg has a good history with getting alot out of players though.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
I know legally there has to be something of value (consideration) exchanged for a deal to be legally valid. That said, I would love to see a, "Team A GAVE Player X to Team B". Just worded like that. For nothing. Just to take the contract.

My Best-Carey

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I know legally there has to be something of value (consideration) exchanged for a deal to be legally valid. That said, I would love to see a, "Team A GAVE Player X to Team B". Just worded like that. For nothing. Just to take the contract.

My Best-Carey

I see you haven't heard of the league's most traded player, Future Considerations.

Reactions: torniojaws

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
ducks not nucks lol! Either way gibson is a stud too haha. Obvioulsy hart ain't in the top 5 yet but I'm curious what you think of gibson and where he ranks. I know his stats are bad (due to a bad ducks team) but i think he is really good...
Well I’ll be darned haha. Guess I do need those glasses. Well my point still stands. Gibson is top 5 in the league in my opinion Take care!

Reactions: flyersNducks

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
??? You do know I was talking bout Hellybuyck right? If he were to get 45 points in a season that would be just fine by all Jets fans. Not sure your point.
This is a Stastny thread. I expected the discussion to be about him. With regard to Hellybuck I think he is overrated. We'll see if he can put 2 good seasons together. Stastny may be a decent acquisition if he turns out to be the best option out there.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I mean, he’s been an extremely passive GM and basically pissed away their contention window by being in love with his players and mishandling Trouba and now potentially Laine.

Mishandling Trouba? Excuse in what way? Trouba did not really wanna be in Winnipeg, he got him dirtcheap every year until he was forced to sell him. Would we better with him on the team, yeah sure, but forced love is not real love. Trouba is happy in New York, and Rangers fans are not in love with his contract sooo.

Btw, ask me what should Cheavy do really? trade sure, but who and for what? Every player with a no-trade list has Jets on it, besides Statsny.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This is a Stastny thread. I expected the discussion to be about him. With regard to Hellybuck I think he is overrated. We'll see if he can put 2 good seasons together. Stastny may be a decent acquisition if he turns out to be the best option out there.

I think most Jets fans are aware that Helle hasn't put together two good season yet. But there is zero doubt he was the MVP of the team last year and he's already got a similar resume to Price at the same age. Two Vezina nominations with one win so far. Overrated or not, he gets results every other year so far.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Depends on how well he does in Winnipeg or he's just a anchor of a contract next season. But it seems as Vegas just handed him to us.

Plot twist, he went to the Golden Knights undercover and gave the Jets intel on how to beat them.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Stastny has never been worth his contract. I used to argue with Avs fans about this player. He's a #2/3 tweener and has just had the good fortune of always playing with good linemates.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Ya I realize that. Context does matter bud. Not to mention that my post you replied to actually mentioned the Vezina win and the two trips to the all star game. So in short if you would if actually read the post history, and more importantly my post that you replied to It should of been common sense to see who I was actually talking about. Good day !

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Is this a parody of bad arguments? Marleau couldn’t score any points for Carolina, they had to pay 3.83m to buy him out or he would refuse to be traded from Toronto. People are underestimating the markets for centers as well.
We'll see if Stastny scores very many points for Jets.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
I wish they would have used the cap space to upgrade the D instead, but Staz will be a good fit for a year on the second line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad