Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Trouba arbitration announcement: 1 year $5.5M (Winnipeg accepts)

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
trouba camp playing hardball. WPG will be under more pressure to get closer to Trouba demands next year. though lol i hope it's not near $8m for Jets' sake.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Maybe I'm drunk, but if it goes to arbitration and hey agree to the 1 year 5.5... is it the vase he can't be traded this year?
I feel like there is something to do with 1 year arbitration not being able to be traded.

Anyway, him on a 1 year deal means allot of expensive contracts next year.

Wheeler, Myers are UFAs
Copp, Laine, Connor, Trouba are all RFAs.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
He just got underpaid by going to arbitration. Easily worth 6.5-7 mil a season...If you were at a firm that offered you a job for a lot less than you are worth, but you knew another firm would pay you what your worth, you would definitely go to the other firm. He has also stated that he wants to be the top defender of the team and get the most minutes and he has not gotten that. Winnipeg also has a lot of other players to worry about next year, (Laine and Connor)and I bet that Winnipeg will under pay Trouba again.
He may want to be the top defender but Buffs play this past post seasons proves he’s still the guy. Any players can demand all the minutes they want but it would set a bad precedent to capitulate to a malcontent.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Maybe I'm drunk, but if it goes to arbitration and hey agree to the 1 year 5.5... is it the vase he can't be traded this year?
I feel like there is something to do with 1 year arbitration not being able to be traded.

Anyway, him on a 1 year deal means allot of expensive contracts next year.

Wheeler, Myers are UFAs
Copp, Laine, Connor, Trouba are all RFAs.
No rules against trading players after arbitration.

Reactions: Heldig

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I haven't seen anything to indicate that he's worth any more than he just got in arbitration.
What am I missing here?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
One more year. As long as Buff is making 7M plus on the cap. I can't see both on on the same blueline long term. Seems to be working towards Free agency or it's Buff or Trouba.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Sad reality, It just isn't enough to get to be an NHL player anymore, the money and fame is cramping their brains on reality. thank Christ for the hard salary cap or we'd be another NBA with their stupid ass'd super teams.
That's the problem I have with it. He comes off as a spoiled brat. The NHL has always had a bit of a blue-collar culture to it, but guys like Trouba are starting to change that. These guys never have to work a day in their lives, so it bugs me a little bit when they have an attitude or think they can pull the Big Shot/primadonna routine.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That's the problem I have with it. He comes off as a spoiled brat. The NHL has always had a bit of a blue-collar culture to it, but guys like Trouba are starting to change that. These guys never have to work a day in their lives, so it bugs me a little bit when they have an attitude or think they can pull the Big Shot/primadonna routine.
I am sure these guys to play at this level put in work that you don’t see. In the gym, on the ice, and dedication to their nutrition plan. Talent can get you to a certain level but to be one of the better and thus highly paid players you need to put in the work.

Cba rules are clearly spelled out in terms of how long any player is mandated to play for the organization that drafts him. For trouba it is 7 years. If his decision is to only give The jets 7 years that is completely within his rights.

By taking short term deals he does risk potentially getting seriously hurt and his not making as much in future contracts. Ekblad has sustained 3 concussions before his elc expired. But he signed an 8 year extension for big money. That money and term might not have been there had he waited to complete his elc to sign.

If people want him to be completely honest about wanting to get out of Winnipeg, that isn’t likely to happen. Players are wise enough to know how fans and social media are these days. Players are going to protect their brand. Trouba played a year and a half with Kane and saw how that ended. Plus his last contract negotiations back in 2016. Wise enough not to say anything other than we couldn’t come to terms on a long term deal.

Reactions: TaLoN and Fixxer

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I am sure these guys to play at this level put in work that you don’t see. In the gym, on the ice, and dedication to their nutrition plan. Talent can get you to a certain level but to be one of the better and thus highly paid players you need to put in the work.

Cba rules are clearly spelled out in terms of how long any player is mandated to play for the organization that drafts him. For trouba it is 7 years. If his decision is to only give The jets 7 years that is completely within his rights.

By taking short term deals he does risk potentially getting seriously hurt and his not making as much in future contracts. Ekblad has sustained 3 concussions before his elc expired. But he signed an 8 year extension for big money. That money and term might not have been there had he waited to complete his elc to sign.

If people want him to be completely honest about wanting to get out of Winnipeg, that isn’t likely to happen. Players are wise enough to know how fans and social media are these days. Players are going to protect their brand. Trouba played a year and a half with Kane and saw how that ended. Plus his last contract negotiations back in 2016. Wise enough not to say anything other than we couldn’t come to terms on a long term deal.
Of course he 'puts work in'. Anybody would do what he does if they could, even if they hated hockey - he makes millions. What I meant is that he will never have to stack boxes in a warehouse for 12 hours a day because he needs to feed his family, for example. He is very fortunate, and he should be grateful, instead of acting like a damn princess who's pissy because he has to live in Winnipeg a few months out of the year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Of course he 'puts work in'. Anybody would do what he does if they could, even if they hated hockey - he makes millions. What I meant is that he will never have to stack boxes in a warehouse for 12 hours a day because he needs to feed his family, for example. He is very fortunate, and he should be grateful, instead of acting like a damn princess who's pissy because he has to live in Winnipeg a few months out of the year.
We all have a certain set of skills. Some are in greater demand than others. Just the reality of life. There are programmers who get 6 figures pretty much out of college while other fields they would get $30k out of school and never hit $100k per year in their lifetime.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
We all have a certain set of skills. Some are in greater demand than others. Just the reality of life. There are programmers who get 6 figures pretty much out of college while other fields they would get $30k out of school and never hit $100k per year in their lifetime.
Yes, and I'm saying he should be grateful he has the skills that enable him to make millions. His skills are useless in the grand scheme of things anyway, he only lives the life he does because we as fans pay to watch the game he plays. Again, he should be grateful. Also, no NHL player ever made it by themself. He shouldn't act the way he does.

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
Oilers would be the kid that gets the best toy on Christmas and ruins it the same day...

I'd rather have the Leafs future than the Oilers.

Bye Felicia.
I would rather have the oilers past (dynasty) theur most recent past (playoff series win) and wuth McDavid as the best player in the league for the unchallenged future, i wouldnt be surprised if they turn it around. Adios.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Yes, and I'm saying he should be grateful he has the skills that enable him to make millions. His skills are useless in the grand scheme of things anyway, he only lives the life he does because we as fans pay to watch the game he plays. Again, he should be grateful. Also, no NHL player ever made it by themself. He shouldn't act the way he does.

This is a terrible take, I don't care aBout this one way or the other but come on man. That's just talking out ya ass. How do you know he is not grateful. What makes you think he doesn't appreciate all of it. What is he doing that would give that impression. Everything has been done to all the rights cba gives him. He hasnt been pissy, he hasn't act entitled and how is be a a princess. All he has done is exercise his rights as an rfa and union paying member.

In a league where 18 yo kids are drafted without say, to limited pay no matter your skill and to go where ever in North America a team draft you for 7 years, with basically no way out. Yeah I think you got it wrong, the team should be grateful.

Also what does no NHL Players make it on their own even mean, of course they don't, but they alone have to put in the work to earn what they want. No matter who you have on your side, if the player don't have the work and will they will eventually fail. It's been proven time and time again that skill will only take you so far.

Yes his skill is USELESS in the grand scheme of things but we don't live in that alternate reality. In this reality his skills earns top dollars and is very sought after, it always has since the early days of society. Entertainment and entertainers get paid, stacking boxes in a warehouse not so much. That not a reason to expect him to stay somewhere he is not comfortable with, just because you feel he is lucky, no, both jobs should have their choices of where they want to do their work with out feeling like it's wrong.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
This is a terrible take, I don't care aBout this one way or the other but come on man. That's just talking out ya ass. How do you know he is not grateful. What makes you think he doesn't appreciate all of it. What is he doing that would give that impression. Everything has been done to all the rights cba gives him. He hasnt been pissy, he hasn't act entitled and how is be a a princess. All he has done is exercise his rights as an rfa and union paying member.

In a league where 18 yo kids are drafted without say, to limited pay no matter your skill and to go where ever in North America a team draft you for 7 years, with basically no way out. Yeah I think you got it wrong, the team should be grateful.

Also what does no NHL Players make it on their own even mean, of course they don't, but they alone have to put in the work to earn what they want. No matter who you have on your side, if the player don't have the work and will they will eventually fail. It's been proven time and time again that skill will only take you so far.

Yes his skill is USELESS in the grand scheme of things but we don't live in that alternate reality. In this reality his skills earns top dollars and is very sought after, it always has since the early days of society. Entertainment and entertainers get paid, stacking boxes in a warehouse not so much. That not a reason to expect him to stay somewhere he is not comfortable with, just because you feel he is lucky, no, both jobs should have their choices of where they want to do their work with out feeling like it's wrong.
If he was grateful, he wouldn't be asking for 8M per or whatever. He wouldn't have been causing drama since he was drafted. He wouldn't feel that he should be able to pick and choose where he plays as an RFA (asking for a trade, trying to force a trade with hardball negotiation tactics, didn't he even sit out camp one year?). He's a diva. And don't give me the sob story about how hard these young kids have it getting drafted by a team lol - ridiculous.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

He be grateful to his parents for his genetics and the effort they put into his career when he was young. He should be grateful the NHL pays well. I don't see why he should be grateful to a team that holds his rights. They didn't find him in languishing in obscurity and build him up into a star, he was already highly regarded (top 10 pick), he'd be just as well off on any other team so it isn't as if they are doing something for him.

Winnipeg wants what he has to offer and they are haggling over price. This is just business.

Digital Kid

Jun 5, 2015
Calgary
I suspect things appear quiet from both sides right now because they only have until Tuesday afternoon to get a long-term contract signed, otherwise they have to wait until January to negotiate. I *believe* that's correct.

So Tuesday afternoon we either get a long-term big money contract or mutual acceptance of the arbitrator's ruling.

Chevy has to manage his assets because in a draft and develop model (the only one that will work for the small market Canadian teams) you can't let people go just because they might want to leave. If everyone leaves you have draft and hope like hell.

On a side note, these are the days when Canadians should be beating down the doors to play on Canadian teams because the slight differences in income tax are more than made up for by the exchange rate giving you 1.33 times the salary in 'home currency'.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If he was grateful, he wouldn't be asking for 8M per or whatever. He wouldn't have been causing drama since he was drafted. He wouldn't feel that he should be able to pick and choose where he plays as an RFA (asking for a trade, trying to force a trade with hardball negotiation tactics, didn't he even sit out camp one year?). He's a diva. And don't give me the sob story about how hard these young kids have it getting drafted by a team lol - ridiculous.
He has done everything within his rights. He doesn't want a long term deal in Winny unless it's overpayment, so he asks for a deal they won't offer because he wants to minimize his time until he's a UFA.

You don't like it? Don't blame him, the CBA designed this process for this purpose.

He wants to put in the minimum time in Winny, that's all. He has that right.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO

Again why should he be greatful to jets, it's not like he is struggling to get work and jets are the only one providing him with it. He is not a homeless man in front of your liquor store. He is asking for that money because he thinks he is worth that amount, maybe not now but he believes within his next long contract he is a 8 million dollar player, more power to him, why settle for less.

I don't see anything wrong with whT he did, it's not Diva or drama it's executing what him, his agent and family's game plan I'm guessing to get out. HE ASKED for trade so what, jets said no, he didn't cause drama or became a diva he played his ass off. He sat out,again within his rights with both high risk and reward, again went to work and had a great year. Nothing there tells me he is a drama queen, just a guy doing what he feels is his best route to Ufa and what's best for him/family.

Also buddy I didnt give you a sob story, just telling how it is, some these kids are stuck for 7 years in a place they didn't choose and people like you believe he should accept it and keep quiet, even when they are doing it all by the books. Exercising their rights according to agreed a cba but Still they are entitled and selfish and greedy and ungreatful. Like wtf bro, you sound like a jealous little kid who didn't get what he wanted in life, even your profile name speaks loudly to it.

Reactions: TaLoN

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017

Ok

But for a certain percentage of working stiffs like me who have a hard time getting by, Trouba does come across as a stuckup dick... :D

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Again why should he be greatful to jets, it's not like he is struggling to get work and jets are the only one providing him with it. He is not a homeless man in front of your liquor store. He is asking for that money because he thinks he is worth that amount, maybe not now but he believes within his next long contract he is a 8 million dollar player, more power to him, why settle for less.

I don't see anything wrong with whT he did, it's not Diva or drama it's executing what him, his agent and family's game plan I'm guessing to get out. HE ASKED for trade so what, jets said no, he didn't cause drama or became a diva he played his ass off. He sat out,again within his rights with both high risk and reward, again went to work and had a great year. Nothing there tells me he is a drama queen, just a guy doing what he feels is his best route to Ufa and what's best for him/family.

Also buddy I didnt give you a sob story, just telling how it is, some these kids are stuck for 7 years in a place they didn't choose and people like you believe he should accept it and keep quiet, even when they are doing it all by the books. Exercising their rights according to agreed a cba but Still they are entitled and selfish and greedy and ungreatful. Like wtf bro, you sound like a jealous little kid who didn't get what he wanted in life, even your profile name speaks loudly to it.

Trouba is not the only one acting like a **** but at least garbageyuk is not suppressing or demeaning those he speaks with...

Reactions: Garbageyuk

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Your position is that of a common person who can’t extrapolate things into the realm of a pro athlete. Nobody looks out for you except you. He should get what the market will bear for his elite talents just like others in all walks of life. Begrudging him that is petty and small minded from my POV.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: