Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jets Sign Kristian Vesalainen to ELC [3yr, 0.925M AAV]

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Assuming he plays the 10 games?
It took some time and effort to get his contract signed over the summer, there was rumors of "EA clause" and "bonuses" being the hang-up. People assumed he wanted a Tolvanen paper with Schedule B performance bonuses, but that obviously wasn't the case judging from the end result AAV and would have been craziness anyway because you'd need to be league top 10 in G/A/P/PpGP to unlock Schedule B bonuses which would nevertheless be included to the cap hit in full.

Judging from everything I claim that they pretty much have handshake agreed that K-Ves plays 10+ in NHL to unlock the GP bonus and in the process burns the first year of his ELC.

edit + 8 hours: CapFriendly has updated his ELC information: $925k Salary per, EA clause for 18-19, $850k Performance Bonus for 19-20 and 20-21. They don't report that he would have a Games Played bonus for 18-19, but for previously stated reasons I'm a bit suspicious if he doesn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If they have to trade Trouba, they can easily get D prospect as good or better than Valimaki as part of the return. Also, the strong development of Niku and Samberg has made a LHD prospect less of a priority.

I don't have the full faith for Troubas value being that high, he could make it really difficult next summer.
Also Valimaki has clearly higher ceiling than Niku and if Trouba is gone Jets really need another D-man with 1st pair potential.

Anyways the point was to reply to post saying I doubt Jets fans would be disappointed with Valimaki at 13 right now.

And this doesn't change the fact I'm a Vesalainen fan and was hoping him to prove people wrong last summer.

Draft Best pick available
Would rather draft the better player than draft for needs and end up with a "lesser" player
Would've preceded a centre in that draft tbh. But it sounds like vesalainen could be a legit pick

That's one reason I dont like the stanley pick

Valimaki is though nothing like Stanley.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
What can we expect from this guy, poor man's Laine?
Kind of reminds me a bit of Rick Nash or Wheeler style wise. It depends who he plays/meshes with. He could be a Joel Armia-esque player (bottom 6 defensively responsible player 25-30 pts) in the NHL for all we know.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
It took some time and effort to get his contract signed over the summer, there was rumors of "EA clause" and "bonuses" being the hang-up. People assumed he wanted a Tolvanen paper with Schedule B performance bonuses, but that obviously wasn't the case judging from the end result AAV and would have been craziness anyway because you'd need to be league top 10 in G/A/P/PpGP to unlock Schedule B bonuses which would nevertheless be included to the cap hit in full.

Judging from everything I claim that they pretty much have handshake agreed that K-Ves plays 10+ in NHL to unlock the GP bonus and in the process burns the first year of his ELC.
Wow....tons of good info.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
Stanley is just as far along then any dman taken after him.
Samuel Girard is further ahead and was drafted after Stanley.

There's also the slew of players I'd rather have over him that were drafted after him. Hindsight is 20/20 obviously but I was hoping we drafted Howden, Steel, with that pick, then drafted Debrincat with the 2nd we included in the deal to move up.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's going to outplay his draft position I feel. Jets did very well here getting as late as the did in the 1st rd.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Samuel Girard is further ahead and was drafted after Stanley.

There's also the slew of players I'd rather have over him that were drafted after him. Hindsight is 20/20 obviously but I was hoping we drafted Howden, Steel, with that pick, then drafted Debrincat with the 2nd we included in the deal to move up.

He was also picked. . 30 picks after Stanley. I'm assuming he meant guys ranked around Stanley. iirc Girard was only ranked in the first round by Pronman and a couple other guys. A lot had him outside the first, (though obviously the pick is still an iffy one)

As to Vesalainen, I'm expecting AHL or possibly KHL this year. His ELC will slide which will be valuable. Unless he blows the doors off in preseason and makes it impossible not to play him.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Kind of reminds me a bit of Rick Nash or Wheeler style wise. It depends who he plays/meshes with. He could be a Joel Armia-esque player (bottom 6 defensively responsible player 25-30 pts) in the NHL for all we know.

Nothing like Wheeler for me but I like the Nash comp. I also feel safe saying with 100% certainty he will not be a Joel Armia type player. His production in Liiga this year was historic and his overall skillset is much better. Barring injury I think Vesa is as close as you can get to a sure-fire top 6 forward in this league.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Nothing like Wheeler for me but I like the Nash comp. I also feel safe saying with 100% certainty he will not be a Joel Armia type player. His production in Liiga this year was historic and his overall skillset is much better. Barring injury I think Vesa is as close as you can get to a sure-fire top 6 forward in this league.

Not going to act like i know squat about SM-Liiga in 2010 vs now (and SweHL which KV played in), but Armia's numbers in the Liiga look better in his draft year and was considered a sure-fire sniper prospect back in 2011. i trust the Jets player development though but there still is a possibility Vesalainen isn't a top 6F that we are hoping.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Not going to act like i know squat about SM-Liiga in 2010 vs now (and SweHL which KV played in), but Armia's numbers in the Liiga look better in his draft year and was considered a sure-fire sniper prospect back in 2011. i trust the Jets player development though but there still is a possibility Vesalainen isn't a top 6F that we are hoping.

43 points in 49 games as an 18 year old is a better season than Armia ever put up. Not sure where you got that idea from.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
43 points in 49 games as an 18 year old is a better season than Armia ever put up. Not sure where you got that idea from.
that wasnt his draft year that was his d+1 year. along with what you said though, KV did crush it at the u18s aswell

The 2016-2017 season was his Draft year
SeasonTeamLgeGPGAPtsPIM+/-GPGAPtsPIM
2016-17Frolunda HCSweHL261562-110000
2016-17HPK HameenlinnaSM-liiga91010-1----------
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Again, not trying to say he will end up like Joel Armia, just saying Armia was hyped quite a bit and supposed to be a big-time sniper... still a good serviceable NHLer but wouldnt call him a top 6 F. Let's call this a floor for KV perhaps?

Last edited:

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
that wasnt his draft year that was his d+1 year. along with what you said though, KV did crush it at the u18s aswell

The 2016-2017 season was his Draft year
SeasonTeamLgeGPGAPtsPIM+/-GPGAPtsPIM
2016-17Frolunda HCSweHL261562-110000
2016-17HPK HameenlinnaSM-liiga91010-1----------
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Again, not trying to say he will end up like Joel Armia, just saying Armia was hyped quite a bit and supposed to be a big-time sniper... still a good serviceable NHLer but wouldnt call him a top 6 F. Let's call this a floor for KV perhaps?

Fair enough, even though when you compare their age 18 seasons KV was much, much better already. One of the best seasons in Liiga history for a 18 year old plus you add on the fact he won the Championship and was a big reason for that.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

One thing the Jets don't lack is top-6 wingers :nod:

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
One thing the Jets don't lack is top-6 wingers :nod:

It's pretty disgusting to be honest... I think Vesa ends up being the 2nd best one outside Laine though. The real question is... do you ever play them together with a playmaking C and just scare goalies shitless... that PP will be nasty too haha

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think Valimaki is good, but I think Vesalainen could be a big top line scorer. Right now, he gets my nod as better prospect.

Not to take away from Vesa, who I wanted at the draft going in, but Valimaki we're pretty excited to see his first season in Pro this year. A lot of people are talking top pair potential, and while it may be optimistic, he seems to have the tools and the impact so far. I think it's one of those times that both teams can feel incredibly lucky with what they have, despite probably both teams on paper possibly preferring the other prospects position because of organization need.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
It's pretty disgusting to be honest... I think Vesa ends up being the 2nd best one outside Laine though. The real question is... do you ever play them together with a playmaking C and just scare goalies ****less... that PP will be nasty too haha

Looking forward to find out. Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad