Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jets Sign Kristian Vesalainen to ELC [3yr, 0.925M AAV]

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
He's gonna be a good one, IMO.

A perfect cost controlled player for the Jets potential cap crunch.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
AHL this year if he doesn’t make the big team? Or back to Finland? Either way looks like a good pick I’ll be shocked if he’s not a full time player in a years time.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Great news, big top six winger that plays a solid 200 foot game.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Of course he is, because the Jets are incredible at picking in the first round, every pick they’ve made has been a stud (except Stanley, don’t know what they were thinking there).
Stanley is just as far along then any dman taken after him.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Stanley is just as far along then any dman taken after him.

Don't think that knee injury in 2017 did him any favors, either. Still too early to definitively say anything about him. He took a nice step forward last year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think Valimaki would have been a fantastic pick as well.
I think Valimaki is good, but I think Vesalainen could be a big top line scorer. Right now, he gets my nod as better prospect.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think Valimaki is good, but I think Vesalainen could be a big top line scorer. Right now, he gets my nod as better prospect.

Probably, but with the Jets depth charts& Trouba situation another high end D-prospect wouldn't hurt.

Still, have high hopes for Vesalainen and he was a great pick.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Unless he hits his bonuses
He will be on 4th line all year if no injuries if he makes team so probably won't hit bonuses. Lowry's line will get 3rd line minutes although more like a 4th line. Will play around 10 minutes a game.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Apparently if he returns to Finland it won't cost the Jets a year on his ELC. Smart move.
I'm pretty certain the European Assignment clause is there only to make the Jets give him a Games Played bonus of couple of hundred k for the first year so his total salary for the year he will spend mostly in AHL is closer to what he would be paid in KHL.

1.492M AAV pretty likely comes from 3 x $925k salary and 2 x $850k max Schedule A Performance Bonus for years 2 and 3. He wouldn't hit Performance Bonuses anyway on year one playing in AHL, but he takes real money instead from the Games Played bonus and Jets save a bit on the cap hit.

Getting the Games Played bonus takes 10+ games in NHL though so he will burn his first ELC year in 2018-19.

Last edited:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Probably, but with the Jets depth charts& Trouba situation another high end D-prospect wouldn't hurt.

Draft Best pick available
Would rather draft the better player than draft for needs and end up with a "lesser" player
Would've preceded a centre in that draft tbh. But it sounds like vesalainen could be a legit pick

That's one reason I dont like the stanley pick

Whileee

May 29, 2010

If they have to trade Trouba, they can easily get D prospect as good or better than Valimaki as part of the return. Also, the strong development of Niku and Samberg has made a LHD prospect less of a priority.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
I'm pretty certain the European Assignment clause is there only to make the Jets give him a Games Played bonus of couple of hundred k for the first year so his total salary for the year he will spend mostly in AHL is closer to what he would be paid in KHL.

1.492M AAV pretty likely comes from 3 x $925k salary and 2 x $850k max Schedule A Performance Bonus for years 2 and 3. He wouldn't hit Performance Bonuses anyway on year one playing in AHL, but he takes real money instead from the Games Played bonus and Jets save a bit on the cap hit.

Getting the Games Played bonus takes 10+ games in NHL though so he will burn his first ELC year in 2018-19.
Assuming he plays the 10 games?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad