Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Jets re-sign Logan Stanley (2 years, $900k AAV)

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Really pleased with this.

Legitimately didn’t think he’d cut it in the NHL when we drafted him but he proved me wrong and showed he can handle it - Even if it was in a bottom pairing soft minutes role he was still very good and has room to develop. Plus I think he played even better through the playoffs which is also a great sign for the future.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I don't think Stanley is ever going to be more than a career bottom pairing dman but that's cheap as hell even if he doesn't take that next step.
People throw out Chara comparisons which I think is beyond absurd, but I’m hoping for him to develop into an Oleksiak level player which I’d still be very pleased with.

Reactions: jetsforever

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
Good deal for the team. He definitely hasn't earned more for this upcoming year but getting the extra year at that rate is good if he progresses.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Hurting the Jets would have been the point.
and it's a terrible point, gm's don't offer sheet to try and hurt teams because eventually they will have their own rfa's to work with and don't want another gm to do the same to them. so offer sheeting stanley @400k more than what he got wouldn't be worth it at all

Reactions: AngryMoose

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
People throw out Chara comparisons which I think is beyond absurd, but I’m hoping for him to develop into an Oleksiak level player which I’d still be very pleased with.
It's probably 10-1 for people who want to say he isn't Chara than people who say he is. Its usually like this post. Nobody brings up a Chara comparison, somebody "Well he's not Chara". K......

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Should have been done earlier. Don't get chevy never will. Appleton and brossoit is miles better then copp and comrie. But for some reason he is going to run with comrie if he can get copp signed under the cap. Don't wait for a copp trade. Only if he heads into arbitration will he likely trade copp. He sure likes to gamble on these goalies. 3 years ago he gambled on Hellebuyck and hutch and they weren't ready and the team missed the playoffs. Hellebuyck better not get injured.
Why would you worry about doing the deal earlier? He is a RFA with no arbitration rights and anyone and their dog could guess within couple hundred thousand where it would come in. I kind of appreciate Chevy focusing on the expansion draft, entry draft and adding a couple top 4 defenceman over making such a basic signing.

Reactions: TS Quint

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
would have easily match so what would even be the point?

That the entire point of having a system of restricted free agents. They aren't completely free to sign where they want, the team don't completely control their rights anymore. If you don't give them what they deserve, another team can offer more. If the team matches, it means they believe Stanley is worth that money after all. He gets properly compensated.

When it comes to stars making 6, 7 millions, it might be insignificant. But an extra 500k earning over a 2-year contract for a young player could be very significant in his life. You never know when your career will get cut short.

I look around the league and see significantly worse defensemen than Stanley making twice his salary.

Reactions: Pongs21 and hn777

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
That the entire point of having a system of restricted free agents. They aren't completely free to sign where they want, the team don't completely control their rights anymore. If you don't give them what they deserve, another team can offer more. If the team matches, it means they believe Stanley is worth that money after all. He gets properly compensated.

When it comes to stars making 6, 7 millions, it might be insignificant. But an extra 500k earning over a 2-year contract for a young player could be very significant in his life. You never know when your career will get cut short.

I look around the league and see significantly worse defensemen than Stanley making twice his salary.
so you are mad that stanley should have got more and another teams gm should have helped him out?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Nice to get that 2nd year for the Jets. He looked like a legit 6D last year, and he’s got plenty of upside, I can certainly see him becoming a top 4 dman if his development continues at this pace. Worst case scenario this is a mediocre deal, best case it’s a total steal, and I think it’s more likely to pan out on the steal side. Dude already makes an impact in the D-zone, and has the potential to be a monster there.

Side note, I feel like bridge deals are almost always the right call for the team - low risk, and gives you a window during the bridge where your team can be stacked. Especially if you bridge high end players, where the short term cap savings are massive. Really wish the Leafs had bridged Matthews and Marner - the last 2 years we could have been insanely stacked, and then their follow-up contracts wouldn’t even have been bigger than the ones they got right away.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Nice to get that 2nd year for the Jets. He looked like a legit 6D last year, and he’s got plenty of upside, I can certainly see him becoming a top 4 dman if his development continues at this pace. Worst case scenario this is a mediocre deal, best case it’s a total steal, and I think it’s more likely to pan out on the steal side. Dude already makes an impact in the D-zone, and has the potential to be a monster there.

Side note, I feel like bridge deals are almost always the right call for the team - low risk, and gives you a window during the bridge where your team can be stacked. Especially if you bridge high end players, where the short term cap savings are massive. Really wish the Leafs had bridged Matthews and Marner - the last 2 years we could have been insanely stacked, and then their follow-up contracts wouldn’t even have been bigger than the ones they got right away.

Nice contract for sure

Agree on bridge contracts. I'd add that another possible benefit is locking a player in to a long-term deal during the bulk of their prime (ie ages 25 to 33) rather than potentially doing one or two long-term deals after their ELC. Certainly not a hard and fast rule for me (no problem with the Heiskanen contract, for example) but generally it's not a bad way to go about doing business imo

Reactions: ponder

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Stanley makes much less than Forbort and he will soon be a better player. If you're going to get a big defenceman, why not get the biggest possible. He can make the same passes and shots that Forbort can make and Stanley wins most of his puck battles with his humongous size.

Reactions: hn777

Andreas Ferrari

Dale is the GOAT!!!
Apr 4, 2015
WinnerPeg
I have always hoped Stanley could develop into a solid 5/6 dman. Having a 6'7" player with his toughness watching the back of our young forwards never hurts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad