Confirmed Buy-Out [WPG] Jets buy out F Blake Wheeler

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Really was a great ambassador for the team and the city. Committed 12 years of his life and career here in the face of "no one will want to stay in Winnipeg". Always gave full effort on the ice, the game is starting to pass him by a bit but he can still produce on a cheap deal, I think he could be a Pacioretty type for a contender this year.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Most teams have a guy like him.

Many teams have that vet they all love and respect so much, who deserves their expensive twilight contract, according to many.

Vegas, Colorado and Tampa Bay are recent examples of teams that don't have these kinds of franchise legends.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Many teams have that vet they all love and respect so much, who deserves their expensive twilight contract, according to many.

Vegas, Colorado and Tampa Bay are recent examples of teams that don't have these kinds of franchise legends.

They will soon enough. Or they will just banish them to Robidas Island.

Reactions: Marioesque

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
They will soon enough. Or they will just banish them to Robidas Island.

I don't think they will because they already know how to be competitive and avoid these mines. That's why they're competitive. Something Chevy now has learned the hard way. If he has learned.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Jets Cup window ended the offseason they lost Buff, Trouba, Chiarot and Myers with only Pionk to show for it. Wheeler got old but so does everyone. Most teams have a guy like him.
Yeah, I think losing Buff had more of a negative impact than Wheeler ever did.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
Loved Blake in his prime, he was a freaking warrior. Happy this chapter is over for the team and for the fan base. The toxicity surrounding this whole thing in the dressing room and on the hockey boards was getting to be too much.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Found it, which explains why Wheeler can still be bought out before the deadline today:

“To buyout a player they must first clear unconditional waivers.

However, if the player has a no-move clause (NMC), they can choose to skip waivers and have their contract immediately bought out.”

From CapFriendly
Makes sense, someone claiming the player off the waivers would transfer the player's SPC to another team, which is the very thing the player wanted to avoid by negotiating the NMC when signing the said SPC.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Yeah, being cut throat enough to avoid yhem is one thing that seperates the great teams

I'd bet you're wrong. I'd bet it was how the org wanted him to handle his injury compared to how Buff wanted to handle it thay caused that.
Yeah blaming everything wrong with the team culture on Wheeler is garbage imo

Reactions: Afterburner

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Loved Blake in his prime, he was a freaking warrior. Happy this chapter is over for the team and for the fan base. The toxicity surrounding this whole thing in the dressing room and on the hockey boards was getting to be too much.
It was at least a year overdue, but it is time now for both to move on towards better days again

Reactions: Afterburner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad