Confirmed Buy-Out [WPG] Jets buy out F Blake Wheeler

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I don’t think NMCs prevent waivers for buyouts, do they?
You have to be put on waivers in order to be bought out, so since you can't be put on waivers with a NMC, I believe they do protect you from a buyout

Could easily be waaay off

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
You have to be put on waivers in order to be bought out, so since you can't be put on waivers with a NMC, I believe they do protect you from a buyout

Found it, which explains why Wheeler can still be bought out before the deadline today:

“To buyout a player they must first clear unconditional waivers.

However, if the player has a no-move clause (NMC), they can choose to skip waivers and have their contract immediately bought out.”

From CapFriendly

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013

You are way off, it's a different waivers process than being reassigned to the AHL. The player with a NMC can choose to skip being placed on waivers and go straight to being bought out but they can't block the buyout.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Lots of reasons really. His contract was large, his production was shrinking, but in the end Winnipeg needed to go a new direction. The team needs a new identity, new voices in the room. Theres been lots of reports that the room is toxic and assuming thats true the former captain would need to go.

It could also be as simple as they need the $5.5m in cap savings to be able to afford to keep their RFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad