Contract Termination: [WPG] Byfuglien with the Jets (mod warning OP)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's too bad he has to quit. But I will say this as a fellow "big-boned" skater... it is HELL on your ankles and feet to be on the ice a lot when you are heavier. I can definitely see that being a pain for him to deal with, whether the team would officially acknowledge it as an "injury" or not. I mean, skating for a living is hell on your ankles and feet just in general, for many people. My kids are already some kind of foot-mutants just from playing competitive minor hockey. But when you take it to the next level as a 250+ adult... Buff has my full sympathies. I hope he has an enjoyable retirement, he earned it.
:handclap:

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
From a neutral observer point of view I don’t understand why Buff went about it in this way. Specifically why he dragged it out this long. It’s his life and ultimately he decides what to do, but it just seems wrong how he left the Jets twisting in the wind for so long. He could’ve terminated his contract last summer and given the jets a chance to react and use the cap space to patch the hole he left. We don’t know the story, but obviously the Jets were blindsided as there is no way they would’ve let Tyler Myers walk, for example. The whole story will come out eventually I guess.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He would be a good fit with the leafs assuming he doesn't try and swing for the most expensive contract.

Hypothetically speaking, if Buff and the leafs reached a deal that worked, would they rather him as a RHD, or a big bodied power forward that can keep up with the play ?

You don't actually think Byfuglien would consider Toronto, if he were to play again, do you? Like...let's be honest for a minute.

Reactions: north49er

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Also, I bet he signs somewhere yet. If not, why go through a termination when he could just retire or LTIR?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Tampa right now

tenor.gif

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
So did Buff get paid for the rest of his contract and is there any cap penalties for the jets ? Or does just make Buff a straight up free agent and Jets get the cap space ?

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
From a neutral observer point of view I don’t understand why Buff went about it in this way. Specifically why he dragged it out this long. It’s his life and ultimately he decides what to do, but it just seems wrong how he left the Jets twisting in the wind for so long. He could’ve terminated his contract last summer and given the jets a chance to react and use the cap space to patch the hole he left. We don’t know the story, but obviously the Jets were blindsided as there is no way they would’ve let Tyler Myers walk, for example. The whole story will come out eventually I guess.
I think Buff was done. I think he dragged it out to training camp and never put another thought about it again. the rest was the NHLPA.

The NHLPA's job is to get the most money for their players. They cant leave any loose ends untied that would set a precedent for other players in the future. Everything from what Buff might be owed contract wise to what his injuries were and who was responsible for them. Buff didnt care. He even dealt with surgery on his own which must have given the PA an aneurism.

Cant wait to hear that hack Friedman trying to stir up Buff to the Leafs for clicks all summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cypruss and DaveG

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
As a Preds fan, I'm glad we won't have to play against him any longer. As a hockey fan, sad to see him go because he was such a unique talent, a big guy with a ton of hockey ability.

One of the funniest moments I remember seeing was from the playoffs a few years ago. I think it was anyway. There was a scrum, he's on the ice and he's got two Preds players wrapped up, just holding one in each hand. I was like, don't do that to my guys but he had that sort of strength. Really impressive, funny and sad all at the same time for various reasons.

Enjoy your retirement Dustin, you've earned it.

Nov 24, 2006
As a Preds fan, I'm glad we won't have to play against him any longer. As a hockey fan, sad to see him go because he was such a unique talent, a big guy with a ton of hockey ability.

One of the funniest moments I remember seeing was from the playoffs a few years ago. I think it was anyway. There was a scrum, he's on the ice and he's got two Preds players wrapped up, just holding one in each hand. I was like, don't do that to my guys but he had that sort of strength. Really impressive, funny and sad all at the same time for various reasons.

Enjoy your retirement Dustin, you've earned it.
NEP4139129.jpg

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
Zero chance Buff plays again, at least in the immediate future. He literally just threw away $14 million so he could be done. The Jets would have traded him if we wanted to keep playing.

My all time favourite Jet and I will definitely miss watching him.

Last edited:

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I remember going to a WHL game years ago and Prince George was visiting Kelowna. My dad and I were looking over the program and saw a guy for PG listed at 275 lbs and started laughing and going "Must be a misprint" then Dustin Byfuglien stepped on the ice and we went "Huh! Maybe not." That game was the single most dominant performance by one player that I have ever seen, Byfuglien would come into the offensive zone and do whatever he wanted, the Rockets couldn't stop him. At one point on the power-play, he took the puck skated in on goal and dragged two Rockets defenders behind him like water-skiers as they hooked him in vain to try to bring him down. It did not work.

Once he got to the NHL, I remember there was an article from one of his WHL teammates or coaches and they said how much everyone loved him. They said on one bus ride in the middle of the night, Byfuglien couldn't sleep so he decided to go get a DVD and watch it, he tried to be quiet and by the time he got to the front of the bus, he had accidentally woke everyone up, and no one got bad, they all laughed because that was the kind of guy he was.

I love Dustin Byfuglien, if this is the end of the line for him, I'll miss seeing him play.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
So did Buff get paid for the rest of his contract and is there any cap penalties for the jets ? Or does just make Buff a straight up free agent and Jets get the cap space ?

The latter, Buff is a free agent and the Jets have the cap space for the remainder of 2019-2020 and for 2020-21.

Buff does not get paid for 2019-20 and 2020-21.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This gives the Jets lots of cap space to get a dynamic 2C (if possible as top priority) and space to sign another RHD like DeMelo. Jets suffered due to this situation and restructuring on their internal cap this year but moving forward they are in a very good situation now. Great news

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad