Contract Termination: [WPG] Byfuglien with the Jets (mod warning OP)

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
He looks like he's 100% done and hasn't done any physical activity in a long time. He's going to enjoy his retirement, and it's well-earned. The league won't see a player like him for a long time.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He would be a good fit with the leafs assuming he doesn't try and swing for the most expensive contract.

Hypothetically speaking, if Buff and the leafs reached a deal that worked, would they rather him as a RHD, or a big bodied power forward that can keep up with the play ?

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
He would be a good fit with the leafs assuming he doesn't try and swing for the most expensive contract.

Hypothetically speaking, if Buff and the leafs reached a deal that worked, would they rather him as a RHD, or a big bodied power forward that can keep up with the play ?

If he hated the media in Winnipeg, he would never play in Toronto. He let $15 million go because he didn't want to play NHL hockey anymore, he's not coming back.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

hypothetically speaking, he should play defense for the leafs (if he signed with them), but who knows what would happen

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

He's 35, yuge, and having injury issues. He's done.

Reactions: Devonator

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Still weird to me that it's a contract termination and not a retirement.

Guessing he is cleared to play so retiring voluntarily would cause him to void his contract and not receive any insurance money? I mean, I would understand that. I'd rather have the Jets buy me out at 50% than losing 100% (not saying that are the terms of the agreement, I have no clue).

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Guessing he is cleared to play so retiring voluntarily would cause him to void his contract and not receive any insurance money? I mean, I would understand that. I'd rather have the Jets buy me out at 50% than losing 100% (not saying that are the terms of the agreement, I have no clue).
He's getting 0 dollars from the Jets. Walked away from 14 million (per Frank Seravalli on twitter).

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Sounds like no cap hit next year.......the Jets are looking great cap wise next year, great spot to be in.

Reactions: Cypruss

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh

My favorite Buff moment. Just so many little things. The play itself. Downie's hesitation to jump on Byfuglien. I can't tell if Bortuzzo is out of breath or is busting up laughing. I like to think the latter.

Hope he still wants to play and lands a gig.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
And it looks like he took 0 dollars? Is that right? Crazy for him. Why not just retire?

Great news for the Jets.......zero payment, zero cap hit next year. Worked out great for the Jets.......as good as it could anyways.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Great news for the Jets.......zero payment, zero cap hit next year. Worked out great for the Jets.......as good as it could anyways.

it did. I didn’t realize that they couldn’t use his hit this past year though. Kind of boned them for this year.

I guess he still wants to play? Otherwise why not retire?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
it did. I didn’t realize that they couldn’t use his hit this past year though. Kind of boned them for this year.

I guess he still wants to play? Otherwise why not retire?

That's why Jets fans kept telling other fans we can't make any trades until it was resolved b/c we don't know how it would be resolved......so yes the Jets restructured their cap this year and took a step back........next year some other teams will be taking steps back and Jets will be stepping forward. Normal cycle in cap era in a way.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
who gives a shit how he looks? He's a hockey player, not a model. The only that that matters is his play on the ice, which was at an extremely high level. That doesn't happen if you aren't in good shape. It's just like with Kessel having a chubby face, and people pretending it means he's not an elite athlete

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

I'm pretty sure they guy who spent his whole career trying to avoid the spotlight off the ice isn't going to be in a hurry to sign a super cheap contract to play in Leafland where the press can write articles daily about what he's had for breakfast.

That said, I hope he does come back and play for someone... I adore this guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad