Wow 7-0 Canada ( women ) > Russia at the end of the first period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
missK said:
Exactly the other teams can only improve if they compete against better teams. Women's Olympic hockey hasn't even been in existance for 10 years now, it needs time to mature for countries other than US & Canada.

And I agree, the rule needs to be changed to something else instead of goal difference.

It's been around for longer than that, the first world championships was in 1991 I think.

ARS

Apr 26, 2004
Ottawa
Jon Prescription said:
It's kinda disgraceful, IMO.

Poor, poor sportsmanship on Canada's part in both their games so far.

Ummm this isn't the NHL, this is olympic hockey where GA and GF actually matter

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I would say the same thing if the US wound up beating Germany 15-0 today as well.

Right now it's 4-0 and I think they might as well just let off and save their energy for the Canadian final. No reason to rub it in the other girl's faces.

The Olympics are based off of sportsmanship over everything, if you haven't forgotten that.

MightyPleky*

g52 said:
I hope Canada scores like 20 goals I want to see the score waaayyyy hiked up just for fun.

they keep that for the game against usa :) :handclap:

Go Habs Go :yo:

Vic Rattlehead*

Jon Prescription said:
I would say the same thing if the US wound up beating Germany 15-0 today as well.

Right now it's 4-0 and I think they might as well just let off and save their energy for the Canadian final. No reason to rub it in the other girl's faces.

The Olympics are based off of sportsmanship over everything, if you haven't forgotten that.

The thing is, Canada isn't really rubbing it in their faces. This team is just too powerful, and the goalies have been absolutely dreadful.

If Canada really wanted to, they could have scored 20 goals yesterday and today. They actually laid back in both games, but the goalies for Italy and Russia were just brutal.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Jon Prescription said:

And if you watched both games you would see that Canada did back off.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Pathfinder said:
And if you watched both games you would see that Canada did back off.

Oh, great. Let's back off after 10 goales. What a nice thing to do.

They really need to take away this Pejorative Slured GF/GA rule because it enables classless acts like this to happen which completely undermines the Olympic spirit and tradition.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
19bruins19 said:
The thing is, Canada isn't really rubbing it in their faces. This team is just too powerful, and the goalies have been absolutely dreadful.

If Canada really wanted to, they could have scored 20 goals yesterday and today. They actually laid back in both games, but the goalies for Italy and Russia were just brutal.

The first goalie for Italy was actually pretty good. But you can't do much when you get a shot at you every two seconds. What Canada SHOULD'VE done was just dump the puck in and chase it. Dump and chase hockey would've taken a lot of the pressure off the Italian and Russian goaltenders and I think you would've at least seen a lot less of a demoralized team after the game was over. Sportsmanship is the key aspect of the Olympics. This isn't the World Cup or just another international tournament. I think people forget about that part.

SChan*

Jon Prescription said:

It's like any other sport. Olympics is about winning for yourself and your country. Sportsmanship comes in 2nd place.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
SectionX said:
It's like any other sport. Olympics is about winning for yourself and your country. Sportsmanship comes in 2nd place.

The Olympic Creed:

"The most important thing in the Olympic games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph, but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered, but to have fought well."

SChan*

Jon Prescription said:
The Olympic Creed:

"The most important thing in the Olympic games is not to win but to take part, just as the most important thing in life is not the triumph, but the struggle. The essential thing is not to have conquered, but to have fought well."

uh I agree, but that it's slightly outdated since money wasn't involved int he past.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
SectionX said:
uh I agree, that it's slightly outdated.

It was adopted in 1972 as the official creed, so it isn't THAT outdated.

This isn't just some tournament where your whole goal is to win. You're supposed to represent your country in the best way possible and show as much sportsmanship as possible.

The US has pretty much completely laid off of Germany and has just been playing around with the puck and dumping it a lot. That makes me proud of the US team, SO FAR (as long as they don't start scoring left and right). Good hockey and good sportsmanship. They could've beaten Swizerland by another 4 or 5 more goals but didn't.

SChan*

Jon Prescription said:

This isn't just some tournament where your whole goal is to win. You're supposed to represent your country in the best way possible and show as much sportsmanship as possible.

The US has pretty much completely laid off of Germany and has just been playing around with the puck and dumping it a lot. That makes me proud of the US team, SO FAR (as long as they don't start scoring left and right). Good hockey and good sportsmanship. They could've beaten Swizerland by another 4 or 5 more goals but didn't.

how about the opposite? NOT playing your best is poor sportsmanship as well.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
SectionX said:
how about the opposite? NOT playing your best is poor sportsmanship as well.

Italy certainly played hard. The Swiss team played hard against the US and the German team now isn't letting up at all even though they are absolutely being dominated.

The Russian team played for the first period and then quit. Not that I don't blame them, haha.

shawn_kemp*

they were actually coming at Canada's net in the second, but couldn't convert any of their chances.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
We clearly let the Canadians win on purpose, trust me, its part of the plan.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Jon Prescription said:

This isn't just some tournament where your whole goal is to win.

You're very honourable and all, but not making much sense. As long as goal diff. matters, teams will run up the score. These women have worked for the past four years (or thier whole lives) to make it to this point, and as long as scoring lots of goals has a potential impact on their chance to win, they're gonna take it.

The other side of the coin is that they need to work hard every game to get better and better so that they peak by the time they hit the finals. Playing Italy isn't very good for practice, so they've gotta work hard the whole time. If you'd notice, they scored their goals as a team, not selfish individual plays. They could have probably scored alot more, but they're trying to work on their team work. And if that results in goals scored and you getting pissed off, well, i'm sure they don't really care what you think.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Injektilo said:
You're very honourable and all, but not making much sense. As long as goal diff. matters, teams will run up the score. These women have worked for the past four years (or thier whole lives) to make it to this point, and as long as scoring lots of goals has a potential impact on their chance to win, they're gonna take it.

The other side of the coin is that they need to work hard every game to get better and better so that they peak by the time they hit the finals. Playing Italy isn't very good for practice, so they've gotta work hard the whole time. If you'd notice, they scored their goals as a team, not selfish individual plays. They could have probably scored alot more, but they're trying to work on their team work. And if that results in goals scored and you getting pissed off, well, i'm sure they don't really care what you think.

Well, you have one incredibally dominant team (Canada) running up the score constantly on their first two games.

And another equally as dominant team (US) not running up the score at all in either of their games so far even though they have had ample opportunity and have just chosen to play the dump and chase card for most of the game.

You tell me who you think is at least following the honor and tradition of the Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad