Proposal: Would you trade...

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary
Who would take over the netminding duties?

Stamkos is fantastic, I agree, but trading Lundqvist makes no sense in the absence of even a reasonable facsimile as replacement.

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
Interesting dilemna.
Stamkos is a 1.03 PPG player.
Hank is a career 2.25 GAA.
So in theory, replacing Hank's 2.25 GAA with 3.0 GAA goalie (About average) and adding Stamkos' 1.03 PPG, the Rangers come out ahead.
But why would the Ranger do this?
Stamkos is at 7.5M cap hit, Assuming Hank is at 8M, Rangers gain 500K in cap space, is it worth it? I don't

Does St Louis come with Stamkos? Because he is the one feeding him all those pucks.

Plus the Bolts play with like ZERO pressure from their fanbase to WIN NOW.

Lundqvist is a proven success in NY. He likes the pressure, feeds off it. Stamkos could buckle here for all we know. Especially if he came here via trade of our fanbases favorite player.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Does St Louis come with Stamkos? Because he is the one feeding him all those pucks.

Plus the Bolts play with like ZERO pressure from their fanbase to WIN NOW.

Lundqvist is a proven success in NY. He likes the pressure, feeds off it. Stamkos could buckle here for all we know. Especially if he came here via trade of our fanbases favorite player.
A lot of good points, but the bolded is fact that is usually taken for granted, I'd agree.

3rdlineglory

Korsi Kevin
Dec 1, 2012
Mahopac, NY
And like I said, Stamkos affecting the play of other players has certainly led them to a ton of playoff success...

Or maybe the skaters played better in front of Hank than the Tampa goalies played behind Stamkos the last few years. There are always other factors, these are just one player on their respective team afterall.

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Uh, yes......

Tampa stinks because they are weak everywhere except the top line.

The Hawks went to two of the last four SCF with Corey Crawford and Niemi -- who they hell were they up until 2009?

Niemi was a UFA signing and Crawford was a late 2nd Rounder. Hell..the Flyers got the SCF with Leighton.

You dont always need a Vezina winner to win the Cup. It doesnt hurt, but Hank has obviously shown that he can't get the team to the SCF all by himself.

I make that trade and Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
They are both major impact players who can singlehandedly change the course of the game.

Stamkos is younger so I go with him.

Stamkos is definitely overrated.

He ain't even close to have the impact on a game as Sid or Malkin for example. Tampa is missing the POs with him. He doesn't get his team up ice.

His shot is amazing, yes, but as we have seen with AO that goes up and down.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
I wouldn't trade Lundqvist because there is no starter in the wings waiting

However Stamkos could in turn make it easier for guys like Nash to score in the playoffs.. Take the Boston series for example, Chara would be out against Stamkos/Nash and then that leaves the other one to play against the second D pair. Assuming of course you left Stepan with Nash.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
There are plenty of big things happening this summer that I think these fun proposal are kind of missing the mark! But no, wouldn't make that trade. Stamkos is a building block to a support crew, a huge one but you pull Henrik out, you will win nothing forever without a good goalie.

Burlington Bomb 26

Louie Louie Oh oh
Mar 16, 2008
Green Mountain State
Nope. Id take Datsyuk before Id take Zetts, and even then Im not sure I trade em straight up for hank.

You're nuts. Zetterberg is the most underrated player in the league. I wouldn't do Stamkos for Lundqvist, but Zetterberg for Lundqvist I'd flip a coin. Lundqvist is the best goalie in the league. Zetterberg, Crosby, Malkin are really the 3 guys I'd consider. Datsyuk is too old, still one of the best but not worth trading Lundqvist. Stamkos is close, but I still wouldn't do it, as he's just a very good goal scorer, thats about it though.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
You're nuts. Zetterberg is the most underrated player in the league. I wouldn't do Stamkos for Lundqvist, but Zetterberg for Lundqvist I'd flip a coin. Lundqvist is the best goalie in the league. Zetterberg, Crosby, Malkin are really the 3 guys I'd consider. Datsyuk is too old, still one of the best but not worth trading Lundqvist. Stamkos is close, but I still wouldn't do it, as he's just a very good goal scorer, thats about it though.

Love Zetterberg

but you must be smoking crack to put him on Sid or Malkins level

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
It would never be a 1 for 1 trade big names don't get moved 1 for 1 like ever, pretty sure we'd be getting a goalie back from Tampa.

But I'd be tempted to do that trade, Stamkos has a lot more years left in him at a high level IMO.

Datsyuk is too old, still one of the best but not worth trading Lundqvist. Stamkos is close, but I still wouldn't do it, as he's just a very good goal scorer, thats about it though.

Like 32 is so much younger than 34. You don't trade Hank for 3 good years of Zetterberg if you can get 10+ years out of Stamkos.

Punxrocknyc19*

id trade for Stamkos and deal Nash for more depth and a goalie to replace Hank...... Stamkos is way better than Nash at this point.. Nash is a player you add to the if your one piece away from the making a far run in the playoffs. Nash is not a player that teams win with if he is being relied on every game...

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I will take the 23-year-old elite forward with his best years ahead of him over the elite goaltender on the wrong side of 30.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I know I am pretty alone no this, but Steve Stamkos isn't all that high up on a list of players if I could choose among everyone in the NHL.

No matter how good a sniper is, you only get certain things from a sniper.

Hence why Tampa just isn't that good. I just think guys like Doughty, a healthy Sid or Malkin is on a diffrent planet in terms of value compared to Stamkos.

I get the point in trading Hank. Since it will not happen, I've never seriously suggested it, but I have for fun included him in some proposals over the years. You can never get a 10m performance from a 1m forward, a forward impacts the game on a shift by shift basis and even if a Jeff Toms scores 3 goals in one game on some kind of objective level the overall impact of that one game is still not compareable to a Malkin if you get what I mean.

But, there are probably 200 goalies in the world who once in a while plays 60 minutes of hockey just as good as Hank. A top 20 goalie can during 25 games play really close to Hank hockey. Besides, Nik Bäckström the goalie is like available and can be had for 6m per. He is a good goalie that can win a cup no doubt.

I am not sold on if id move Hank for on (1) sniper.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Crawford, Hiller, Halak, Miller, Elliot will all be in the same FA class as Lundqvist. There are cheaper options than Lundqvist that can be used as stop-gaps while the Rangers develop goalie prospects and see what other circumstances emerge. The Rangers would never trade Lundqvist or let him walk without a contingency plan. I'm not sold on dedicating more than 10% of the salary cap on a goaltender's salary. It appears to be terribly inefficient, unless you're getting a ton of offense from cheap ELCs, which the Rangers are not. Coupled with the fact that Lundqvist is leaving his prime years...

I love the idea of Lundqvist being a career Ranger. I hope his contract demands are reasonable. If not, Rangers management has a tough decision to make. Lundqvist's next 8 years will most likely not be as good as his last 8 years, but he's getting a raise regardless...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad