Proposal: Would You Trade Stützle For Jack Eichel?

Jack Eichel For Stützle

• Total voters

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Given how little depth this team has I’d rather they look into acquiring other teams’ soon-to-be expansion draft losses. According to Minny fans Dumba and Greenway might be available from Minnesota before the expansion draft. Probably many other players that could improve this team and could be available at a disount.

No guarantees but there is potential for a good trade or two to come out of this.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If we had real ownership, yes.

Since we don't, we need to milk ELC contracts for as long as possible.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I’d say that defenceman usually are in their prime later in their careers compared to forwards

But Eichel is a much greater talent so you could argue that an out of Prime Jack would still be on the level of Chabot.

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
Stutzle is going to be phenomenal. I absolutely love the kid and am so pleased to have him. With that being said, Jack Eichel is a bonafide elite #1C in his prime. I suppose it comes down to whether or not we believe we are going to be Cup competitive in the next 2-4 years and want to go "all-in" during that window.

I'm more than happy keeping Stutzle, but Eichel should be the more valued asset in most circumstances.

Reactions: Alex1234 and cudi

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I’m as big of a Stützle homer as any on this board. I’m just able to put my biases aside.

Is it really unimaginable to you that Stutzle becomes a better player than Eichel? I said it was a realistic possibility, not that it is necessarily true.
As far as trading them 1 for 1; a lot of people have already brought up why it wouldn't be a great idea due to contract/timeline.

Reactions: TheDebater

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
Well, something's can't be spoken openly for a multitude of reasons.

That said, Eichel is not the guy we want in the dressing room of our team.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Is it really unimaginable to you that Stutzle becomes a better player than Eichel? I said it was a realistic possibility, not that it is necessarily true.
As far as trading them 1 for 1; a lot of people have already brought up why it wouldn't be a great idea due to contract/timeline.
You have a choice between a Boat and a mystery box.
You’re choosing the mystery box in this scenario, because the mystery box can be anything! Even a boat!

It doesn’t matter the timeline, you take the guaranteed franchise player everytime.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
You’re choosing the mystery box in this scenario, because the mystery box can be anything! Even a boat!

It doesn’t matter the timeline, you take the guaranteed franchise player everytime.

You would have a right to call Stutzle that if he hadn't showed us what he's capable of.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
You would have a right to call Stutzle that if he hadn't showed us what he's capable of.
Agreed, he’s looked fantastic.

That being said, i’m taking the guy who is is close to PPG in his career and makes a difference on the ice for his team night in and out and will be a future hart finalist.
I’m a Sens fan and a homer for Stützle since im German but you need to be realistic.

Reactions: Alex1234

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Agreed, he’s looked fantastic.

That being said, i’m taking the guy who is is close to PPG in his career and makes a difference on the ice for his team night in and out and will be a future hart finalist.
I’m a Sens fan and a homer for Stützle since im German but you need to be realistic.

I don't believe you're a Sens fan with a username like that.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Completely disagree here. That would be very shortsighted for a rebuilding team IMO. Maybe that's how Dorion makes his deals after all, just looks at "name recognition" without forecasting any regression or decline, so maybe that's why he pays so much to acquire Derick Brassard, Alex Burrows or Derek Stepan.

Unless you think we become a serious playoffs contender right away just by swapping Stutzle with Eichel? This season is already lost as the gap might be too big to climb in a 56 games season, particularly in the very competitive North division.

Do you think we make the playoffs next year? Could we start winning rounds? Yes we'd have Eichel, Tkachuk, Chabot, etc but some other very important pieces with low NHL experience like Norris, Pinto, Batherson, Sanderson, Formenton, even Zub, etc. We probably don't even have the right coaching staff in place, who can optimize a roster.

Eichel turns 25 y/o at the beginning of next season, and has 5 years left on his contract. So you're talking about a 5 years window that might not even pay off in first 2 years (too many players still young/unexperienced?). He also makes 10 M$ per season, which is a lot more than Stutzle.

The questions would be :

- how many REAL contending years?
- Would Eichel re-signs here after the 5 years?
- He's going to be 30 y/o then, how much money and term will it require?
- Could he be primed for a quick decline ala Healtey/Spezza/Karlsson, depending on injuries? We'd be stuck with that contract then

IMO, better keep the recent 3rd OA pick, that could easily be 1st OA worthy, that will grow with the rest of the team and if they have success, could even take 2 long term contracts here taking him to his mid 30 's instead of 30 y/o

That's the kind of move that doesn't make sense for a rebuilding team, a bit in the mold of Zibanejad for Brassard even though we were not even rebuilding at that time.

UNLESS, you think that Stutzle won't even be as close as good as Eichel, then I can understand, but then why would Buffalo do it?

My reasoning is because I see Eichel a tier above Jimmy, and we already know he's a franchise centreman that we hope Stutzle can be, but that's not a guarantee. We've been searching for an eichel forever, if we finally have the chance to grab him, it's worth it for me. I expect us to be playoff competitive in 2 seasons, eichel will be 26 and we should have at least5-6 years of seriously competing, while getting better and better in each of those years. Eichel is worth 10M, and if Stutzle gets anywhere near eichel's level then he'll command that kind of money too. The only real drawback is the age difference, stutzle will give you more of his prime when it matters most (ie 2years from now and after), but I'd be ok with the risk and take that swap easy, Eichel will be the better bet imo.

Reactions: Alex1234

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire

The only caveat is you're paying millions more for the boat than the box in a figurative world where you can only make a limited amount of money. Plus that boat is likely not going to be in your control or last as long as the box. Plus you'd potentially have to deal with the boat making passive aggressive comments every few mins while sailing "you call that stepping a mast?" "my grandma makes crisper turns starboard".

The analogy kind of works, but it doesn't incorporate every factor to make this an open and shut decision. Ya, Eichel no doubt has more value league wide than Stutzle right now. But the situation of each team definitely dictates his relative value and to us, we would be one of the less good fits. Eichel will have no patience for FYOUS.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
To my eye Stuetzle can become Nathan MacKinnon who I think is better than Eichel so no way I make this trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad