Proposal: Would you trade Price to Philadelphia?

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
our 2013 2nd round pick fucale is already worth established player in the league (good one at that) and a prospect?

Hope philly and Van fans are staying away from Habs boards today....

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
The rebuild talk is already started? Wow. And ya what many others have stated about what would you replace him with?

LOL worse part is that it's not for a rebuild, its supposedly to make our team better by trading away Price ^^

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
If anything I would've suggested that the Flyers take Fucale instead of Price. Price is in his prime right now and really there's nobody left to fill in for the Habs.

Fucale for probably Simmonds + C prospect? Laughton (although Philly loves him).

Fucale doesn't help them now , besides his future is 100 percent in Montreal .

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
and it wont happen

Philly wont be in the cards for Price

maybe TB ,Isles , Edmonton but not Philly

If Philly wants him they will be one of the front runners for Price and I can't see them not being interested in him. Holmgren doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to let a few details and moves getting in the way of making a trade for a player he wants.

Danleri

Dec 5, 2012
I refuse to believe this thread exist. Both the OP and anyone who thinks his proposal is a good one are complete idiots.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
No interest in Morin. Morin was one of Phillys first cuts at camp and has been below average since returning to the Q. Obviously Tinordi wasn't too hot in his first OHL season but Morin already has experience in the league and with the coach so there's no reason he shouldn't be doing well. I was going to cry if we drafted him at 25/would have been livid if we traded up at the draft. I was shocked(pleasantly surprised?) that someone took him just outside the top 10.
As a Flyers fan, I have to give a response to this post.

How is Morin getting cut early a bad thing? He's a just-turned-18 dman prospect. I can probably count on one hand the number of recent dmen who played their 18 year old year in the NHL (Doughty and Larsson are the only 2 that I can remember that are recent examples). 18 year old dmen just rarely, rarely play in the NHL. So not sure how that's a strike against Morin.

He actually was a standout for the Flyers in the pre-season. But because he was not going to make the team, they felt it would be a better decision to return him to Rimouski and let him get started with his junior season playing top minutes than sticking around and playing little time in the pre-season.

"Below average" since being returned? He played 2 games before he got hurt. And by all accounts he didn't play bad at all in those games.

That post was so bad I just had to reply.

dmanfish90

How about 76 for 25?
Jan 5, 2011
Newmarket, Ontario
I haven't posted here since the draft...but nevertheless my two cents:

We Habs fans are so bipolar, it's actually funny.

I really don't think a guy who is on the shortlist to make Team Canada for the Olympics is worth trading away, especially when management have plans for making the POs.

He wasn't the reason we lost Tuesday.

JonathanToews19clutc*

The best deal --->

To :panthers : Carey Price.

To :habs : Jonathan Huberdeau or Aleksander Barkov + Erik Grudbranson + Jacob Markström.

But i really love Price and i would never trade him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If anything I would've suggested that the Flyers take Fucale instead of Price. Price is in his prime right now and really there's nobody left to fill in for the Habs.

Fucale for probably Simmonds + C prospect? Laughton (although Philly loves him).

The Flyers aren't going to trade Simmonds and Laughton for a goalie prospect drafted 36th overall in 2013 when they already have a goalie prospect they drafted 45th overall in 2012.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Dubnyk is better than Price now?
Yes, I said Dubnyk is better than Price. Fantastic job at reading what I wrote.

I supposed the trade I proposed equals out because Gionta is clearly better than Eberle, right?

You probably didnt watch Dubnyk much lol.. He is barely a NHL starter..
Probably one of the more ignorant things I've read. Do you watch Dubnyk?

I watch Edmonton a fair amount, especially last year because of Yakupov and Eberle.

Dubnyk, like Price, has trouble with the "softie per game." However, aside from that, he consistently puts up as good of numbers as Price on team whose #1 defenseman for years was Ryan Whitney (who was hurt 75% of the time, by the way).

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The best deal --->

To :panthers : Carey Price.

To :habs : Jonathan Huberdeau or Aleksander Barkov + Erik Grudbranson + Jacob Markström.

But i really love Price and i would never trade him.
Price for Huberdeau would actually be worth considering. If you do this though, you are probably starting a rebuild because unless we luck out on a goalie this team would tank so fast. Our D already sucks and you take away a strong netminder I don't see us having any hope of making the playoffs.

Huberdeau is an elite talent though and you put him with the kids we already have and we'd be scary down the road. But it would be a very bumpy ride until we found a good netminder.

I also don't see Florida doing this btw. They're rebuilding... why do this now? I don't think it makes sense for them to do it. Pittsburgh would make sense, they'd want Price.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yes, I said Dubnyk is better than Price. Fantastic job at reading what I wrote.

I supposed the trade I proposed equals out because Gionta is clearly better than Eberle, right?

Probably one of the more ignorant things I've read. Do you watch Dubnyk?

I watch Edmonton a fair amount, especially last year because of Yakupov and Eberle.

Dubnyk, like Price, has trouble with the "softie per game." However, aside from that, he consistently puts up as good of numbers as Price on team whose #1 defenseman for years was Ryan Whitney (who was hurt 75% of the time, by the way).
If I'm Edmonton I'd be worrying a lot more about defense than goaltending right now. There is no D there.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Look, I'm critical of Price's technique/play on occasion, but this thread just... hurts my brain. There's no Halak beside him right now, and we've held onto him until he got to his prime, so how about we try to see some of his prime? We don't need to trade him at this point, he just has to play a teensy bit better.

Maybe, MAYbe, if another really good goalie was coming back, maybe one that only had 2 or 3 years left on their contract, maybe you start putting together something that makes more sense in the long term, but man... Price to Philadelphia? Already? Jesus no.

There's at least 20 goalies in the league who provide the same performance, many for way less. Good teams are more important than good goaltenders. I'd trade Price for the right deal in a hurry. I don't believe in goalies being the highest paid player at all, plus goalies from highest to lowest are all relatively close aside from the super elites, but there aren't many of those and price isn't one. I'm confident we pick up a goalie off the scrap heap and be fine if we build a good team.

Crawford/Niemi/osgood/leighton/fleury, all very average, if the team is good enough it can mask a lot of things. Most starting goaleis are around the same in terms of performance, and yes, Dubynk was as good as price last year.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Sean is a legit big shutdown center already, screw plekanec and dd. You make that move and retool accordingly. Grab Fasth+ from Anaheim.

Morin is yoooouuuung and BIG. Let him develop some. Serious potential there.

There is no way Philly would ever make this deal anyways, it's a ridiculously stupid proposal from a philly standpoint.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Price's trade value is enormous, and based on his play the end of last season and the way he was fighting the puck in game one this year.... he ain't a sure bet. Be very, very difficult to actually trade him and there's no question we have no one who could be a #1 in his place. But it's more than a fair question. Price for Giroux is not a ridiculous trade, in and of itself. Price for Couturier and pieces.... no, couldn't do that.

Sure it isn't

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Goaltending is the most important position in Hockey.
It's on par with Quarterback in the NFL.

Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are exceptional quarterbacks. Rodgers performs well without an OL.. Brady performs well without any weapons.. However, neither one of them can carry those teams all the way without support.

An exceptional goalie can get you far, win you games you should't win, but you can't win with just a goalie.

However, saying goaltending is overrated. No. You need an all-star team in front of a bad goalie to win it all. Even then, you're not guaranteed.. Niemi has shown after winning his cup that he's actually an above average goalie. Leighton sucked and that's why he let in the cup winning goal by Kane.

But him sucking never prevented them from getting there in the first place, makes perfect sense.

Goaltenders have marginal trade value for a reason.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
But him sucking never prevented them from getting there in the first place, makes perfect sense.

Goaltenders have marginal trade value for a reason.

Leighton was on an all-star team. He was an awful goalie that played behind a team that scored a lot of goals, had forwards who played well in their own end, and was behind a very tough and stingy defense. However, when it came down to it and they finally faced a team that could cope with the amount of talent in their roster, they lost because Chicago got better goaltending.

Marginal? Ok.

Halak gets a former 13th overall pick plus a prospect.
Ben BISHOP gets a 2nd rounder
Jonathan BERNIER gets a 2nd rounder plus a good young player (Frattin)
Corey Schneider gets a top 10 pick.
Luongo gets at the time, a premiere power forward, a promising shut down defenseman and another player.
Anders Lindback gets a 2nd round pick.
Varlarmov got a bundle of picks, including a 1st rounder.

None of these goalies, including Luongo at the time, had any body of work that really said anything other than potential to be good. Halak never had a full season workload; Same as Schneider. Luongo never played the play-offs. Bernier, Bishop, Lindback etc. all got 2nd round picks despite not doing anything other than being back-ups that teams were willing to gamble on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad