Proposal: Would you trade Jake Gardiner for Sean Monahan/Elias Lindholm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
The same people that want Gardiner moved will be voting 'yes' to future proposals to move Monahan/Lindholm.

Not to mention our top developmental Coach, Dallas is gone. Don't have much faith from the rest of the marlies staff to develop Lindholm/Monahan into great players like they did with Gardiner.

So, No. Do these Proposals on Be a GM, they don't make sense in real life.

Shipping out a 22 year old that has a great personality and showing huge potential, for a draft pick, and its not even top 5.

Thats laughable.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The same people that want Gardiner moved will be voting 'yes' to future proposals to move Monahan/Lindholm.

Not to mention our top developmental Coach, Dallas is gone. Don't have much faith from the rest of the marlies staff to develop Lindholm/Monahan into great players like they did with Gardiner.

Shipping out a 22 year old that has a great personality and showing huge potential, for a draft pick, and its not even top 5.

Thats laughable.

If Morgan Rielly put up a 30 point rookie year for us like Gards did, we'd probably call that a pretty successful example of a top five pick. So it really doesn't make any sense to deal a 22 year old kid who performed like a high first rounder, in exchange for a first round pick outside of the top five range!

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I would rather trade Kadri than Gardiner. Yes, Naz is going to be a near-PPG offensive centre, but we've seen Boston shut down two of the best offensive centres in the game. We really need to have that Bergeron/ Datsyuk-style forward who can neutralize top lines. Monohan may be that kind of centre.

Gardiner, on the other hand, should not be traded. It's a good idea to have two different types of elite puck movers. Franson's puck moving ability is pretty good as well, but Gards is Nieds-esque, while Rielly reminds me of Karlsson especially with his ability to control the flow. Our top four pairing is going to be very solid.

PS: I don't think we'll be trading our youngers for picks.

agropop

Mar 3, 2011
Windsor

Thats laughable.

Truth.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

actually, no. :D

i like defence men that can play solid defence, and forwards that can make space and carry the puck on a string.

When Gardner has the puck near the net, he is scary good in his ability to keep the puck, or find the open man... he could be an extraordinary playmaking centre

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It looks like Edmonton will move their #7 pick for a player that can help them soon(er).

The speculation is that they want a top 6 centre that can contribute on the ice even when not scoring points. That's not something we can offer them but Jake Gardiner is Justin Schultz' former teammate and best buddy. Jake also has a very good relationship with new Oilers coach Dallas Eakins.

We all know how talented Jake is and what kind of upside he has. He's probably the most promising young defenceman the Maple Leafs have had in at least a couple decades. That said, Burke picked Morgan Rielly in the 2012 draft and we've managed to add Matthew Finn, Stuary Percy and Tom Nilsson in the last two drafts. Jesse Blacker, Korbinian Holzer and Petter Granberg are still developing and could all play at the NHL level (in some capacity) when they're ready.

It's ultimately a choice between having a combo of Kadri/Gardiner/Rielly or Kadri/Monohan/Rielly.

If there was the option of swapping Jake Gardiner for the 7th overall pick, would you do it?

You know, maybe its the fact that the story has become more noticeable in this playoffs, but the Rielly/Gardiner dilemma is turning into something similar to the Rask/Pogge dilemma.

Are you guys really willing to let go of one of them knowing full well it could end up biting you in the a**...again?

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
actually, no. :D

i like defence men that can play solid defence, and forwards that can make space and carry the puck on a string.

When Gardner has the puck near the net, he is scary good in his ability to keep the puck, or find the open man... he could be an extraordinary playmaking centre

That's like Ottawa saying Karlsson isn't strong enough defensively so they're gonna move him to center or Letang, Kaberle(in his prime), Keith, Campbell, Boyle etc.

Fact is you need defence that can make solid break-out passes as well or else your gonna get stuck in your zone as demonstrated by our own Leafs for the majority of this season. There's a reason why there are 2 guys on defence and why it's a team game.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Thats laughable.

While I agree about not trading Gardiner, in what world was he developed by Eakins?
He was named to the all rookie team in the nhl before spending any time with the Marlies.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
trade from a position of depth for a position of need for an equal or better prospect
Gardiner really impressed me in the playoffs and I think he's a great prospect to have but I can understand the above concept and why trades like this happen

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
trade from a position of depth for a position of need for an equal or better prospect
Gardiner really impressed me in the playoffs and I think he's a great prospect to have but I can understand the above concept and why trades like this happen

Its not a position of strength until both Reilly and Gardiner have reached their potential.

Its only a perceived strength right now. I would rather wait and see what we actually have.

If both reach their full potential and the price to keep both is to high to keep both then trade one.

People worrying about what ifs for these two guys should be worried more about what if one doesn't reach it.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
While I agree about not trading Gardiner, in what world was he developed by Eakins?
He was named to the all rookie team in the nhl before spending any time with the Marlies.

I was wondering the same thing.. Eakins is a good coach, don't get me wrong. But him leaving isn't the be all - end all for our prospect development.

Well find someone new, and Eakins will just become a past memory.

As for trading Gardiner... DON'T!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad