Proposal: Would you trade Jake Gardiner for Sean Monahan/Elias Lindholm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I've been behind Monahan and Lindholm way before the season started. Even now I love them and would be overjoyed if we get them. However, it doesn't mean I forget the fact they ARE prospects while the other, Jake Gardiner, is a prospect who has shown he has the pedigree to play at a high level in the NHL.

Griffski

Jun 15, 2011
Salt Lake City
...so to speak.

Sorry, I thought people would get the Arrested Development reference. Comment retracted. I made a huge mistake...

Agreed, Gardiner definitely belongs in the line-up next year and Rielly probably won't be ready. I see Fraser fitting in as our 6th defencemen. I think Carlyle loves having that extra physicality on the back end and Fraser showed he could stick in the bigs for an extended period of time.

Careful tossin around the super gay Tobias quotes haha

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I'm a big fan of Gardiner, but I'd move him for Lindholm, who I think is going to be a total stud. Between Phaneuf, Gardiner and Rielly we have a lot of left handed offensive dmen, but we have more of a need for a centre like Lindholm. It would definitely be a gamble, but it would be one I'd be willing to take.

Monahan, not so sure. While I definitely see #1 C upside in Lindholm, I can see Monahan being more of a solid #2, and I feel like dealing Gards for him might not be the best move.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
^^^ future core? this could be our defense next year if we wanted :yo:

though realistically we could use Ranger until Rielly is ready if Ranger is willing to play for the Leafs.
I think allowing Rielly enhance his defensive/ physical in the juniors/ AHL is probably the better route to take. He's a gym freak so he be even more appropriate as Dion's partner than Gardiner. That is unless Gardiner can bulk up and be stronger on the defensive side. After all, he is ~190cm.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I think allowing Rielly enhance his defensive/ physical in the juniors/ AHL is probably the better route to take. He's a gym freak so he be even more appropriate as Dion's partner than Gardiner. That is unless Gardiner can bulk up and be stronger on the defensive side. After all, he is ~190cm.

no brainer ,,,,,gardiner but for only a top 5 pick .......im thinking eakins is more apt to want reilly tho ...he saw reilly play a good 20 -25 minutes a nite in the AHL as a 18 yr old ...reilly IMO .....would be number 1 overall if this was his draft year ,,,,,,give or take the 11 months difference in ages

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
no brainer ,,,,,gardiner but for only a top 5 pick .......im thinking eakins is more apt to want reilly tho ...he saw reilly play a good 20 -25 minutes a nite in the AHL as a 18 yr old ...reilly IMO .....would be number 1 overall if this was his draft year ,,,,,,give or take the 11 months difference in ages

Wat?

You think Rielly would go 1st overall if he was in the draft this year?

... He wouldnt. Jones is younger and played better than him this past season. Rielly has a very slight edge offensively, and then Jones beats him in all other areas of the game.

Then MacKinnon? A young potential franchise centre is worth more than a young ~Letang type of defenceman.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
HockeyBuzz kind of gives you an indication it's going to be a crappy idea.

I get the impression that people reference it MUCH less than they did 2-3 years ago though. Which is great! There used to be a TON of "oh we're going to get Player X because Eklund said sooooo!" , while the rest of us just shook our heads.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Woah disagree. Rielly would probably be #5 or so. I'd take him before Nichushkin but after Barkov.

Depending on how much you like Jones (I don't), you could argue for #4. But Rielly doesn't beat out any of Drouin, MacKinnon, or Barkov.

I'd really like to keep Gardiner. Don't usually spring for the fantasy rosters, but:

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gardiner - Franson/Finn/Percy
Gunnarsson - Finn/Percy/Granberg/Nilsson

Is pretty stupid good.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I get the impression that people reference it MUCH less than they did 2-3 years ago though. Which is great! There used to be a TON of "oh we're going to get Player X because Eklund said sooooo!" , while the rest of us just shook our heads.

Now fans have lowered to posting the bleacher report :shakehead

Last edited:

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Woah disagree. Rielly would probably be #5 or so. I'd take him before Nichushkin but after Barkov.

Depending on how much you like Jones (I don't), you could argue for #4. But Rielly doesn't beat out any of Drouin, MacKinnon, or Barkov.

I'd really like to keep Gardiner. Don't usually spring for the fantasy rosters, but:

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gardiner - Franson/Finn/Percy
Gunnarsson - Finn/Percy/Granberg/Nilsson

Is pretty stupid good.

Dion on the top pairing is not ideal. He can't succeed playing over 20-22 minutes a game. Gardiner top pairing in a year or two with someone predictable and defensive minded would be great then Dion+Gunnar/Rielly and Franson/Gunnar/Finn/X

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I've been behind Monahan and Lindholm way before the season started. Even now I love them and would be overjoyed if we get them. However, it doesn't mean I forget the fact they ARE prospects while the other, Jake Gardiner, is a prospect who has shown he has the pedigree to play at a high level in the NHL.

That's the rub here, Leafs fans have to decide is trading one prospect that had a good rookie season, with 5 good games in the playoff on a down season worth another highly touted prospect. Let's not forget there is risk on Edmonton's part also.

This is where the Eakins hiring may help smooth out a deal by lessening the worries. If both Monahan and Gardiner were born the same year and played the same amount of NHL games, I doubt we would be able to get Monahan for only Gardiner.

Team just don't trade 6'2 2 way top 6 Centers for one way PM Dmen.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Offense from the defense is great, but defense from the defense is even better when it comes to winning. ;)

Gardiner and Rielly are similar in style and perhaps the Leafs could parlay one into another position of need as in this example in the thread.

I'd almost prefer to parley Gardner back to his original forward position, and see if he can win faceoffs. ...there is our #1 center :D

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
The fact that we're questioning whether Jake Gardiner can build on a fantastic rookie campaign, and a great 5 game playoff stint, as opposed to a mystery, whose team didn't even make the playoffs at the CHL level, should be all you need.

One has NHL experience to draw from, and has shown top pairing potential in that experience. The other is being spitballed as a potential 1st line center, and hasn't yet even attended a pro orientation, let alone play in a regular season, or 5 playoff games.

If the Oilers will take Franson + 51, sure. If not, they can stew.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
When you consider that the prospect goalie was already playing pro hockey, and well decorated in honours, it's not even close to similar.

Monahan didn't even make the world junior squad...

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good point.

And Raycroft was a Calder trophy winner too.

Risk was well worth it with a little patience, something this fanbase doesn't have much of. They rather look at the present than the ultimate goal of building a championship team.

Obviously some prospects are more sure than others, and Monahan/Lindholm/Horvat are much surer than Rask was. Not even close in risk IMO.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Trading Gardiner for Monahan hurts our chances at making the playoffs next season, I can see why most are not on board, but in the long run I think its a great move.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Trading Gardiner for Monahan hurts our chances at making the playoffs next season, I can see why most are not on board, but in the long run I think its a great move.

We did pretty good without him last year.

Plus Rielly got the one full year of play he desperately needed after the knee injury.

I know some will have a hard time seeing this, but I suspect Rielly will be making people forget Gardiner very soon, the kid has a much higher ceiling than Jake. As talented as he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad