would you take spezza for....

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This is the same Flyers team that played so well against the sleeping Jets that they humbled our boys to the tune of 2-1? Those guys?

I'll agree, they've been playing better, at least in part because Giroux has finally woken up but I don't think they're anywhere near at the point where they shouldn't be addressing needs and fill holes, whether Buff is part of that or not. I legitimately don't see the Flyers being as good a team as the Jets, recent result not withstanding.

I agree, but I wonder if the pressure is off Holmgrem a bit now. They seemed so vulnerable to a lopsided trade earlier.

But they really are a team configured for "now". They've invested a lot in Lecavalier, Hartnell and Streit, and Parise, Coburn, and Voracek are in their prime years.

I would love to find a way to pry some young talent and/or prospects from them. I'd see a package including B. Schenn and/or Laughton as being a nice starting point for the Jets.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Shot metrics show Spezza is starting a steep decline and the points production will follow soon. They also hint that his defensive flaws may outweigh his offense for the first time in his career, which has yet to happen for Buff.

Flyers are doing better but the last time a goalie had a career Sv% like Mason and then played this good for just over 20 games was Rick Dipietro, who collapsed back to norm. Flyers goaltending has been over performing for them to play as well as they have been.

I don't want any part of Spezza. He's at the wrong part of his career trajectory, not to mention his UFA status at the end of next year. He would be a rapidly declining asset for a team like the Jets.

I don't doubt that the Flyers might reverse course and go into another slump. However, they were really in desperate straits a few weeks ago and I would have thought that was a time to "buy low". Maybe they'll go back to that situation, but right now I expect that Holmgrem will be happy to be a bit patient.

Still, I would imagine that they would give up a lot for a player like Buff. Watching their "war room" video from last year, they place a huge premium on size on D.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
spezza's age is fine, however his play is concerning as are his injuries. kane imo is worth more than Spezza. i'd say buffy has almost as much value if not more than Spezza, but Spezza has a NTC and he'd probably want to stay close to his hometown in TO

Whileee

May 29, 2010
spezza's age is fine, however his play is concerning as are his injuries. kane imo is worth more than Spezza. i'd say buffy has almost as much value if not more than Spezza, but Spezza has a NTC and he'd probably want to stay close to his hometown in TO

I disagree about his age. I think that the Jets should build their team around a younger core, with Ladd being the main "elder statesman". Spezza doesn't fit from an age, career trajectory or contract perspective. Value is highly dependent on contract status, too. Both Kane and Buff will be much more attractive from a contractual basis than Spezza.

If Spezza has a NTC, and is a UFA in 2015, why are we even discussing him? :shakehead

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
With Ottawa's budget these days, I feel like we might have a better shot at signing him as a UFA in July 2015 than we do at ponying up assets to trade for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00