would you take spezza for....

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
I think I may do that for Buff alone. If the plus is Conacher. However as it stands large overpayment from the Jets side

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
If we are talking sens players, we need Zibinejad, cowan or Lehner....not Spezza

I'll take Spezza. But Jets would need the + to be Lehner or Zibanejad and a good prospect if they're sending Kane, Byfuglien and a first (probably top 10) the Sens way.

OP, you're greatly overvaluing Spezza's trade value. He's a UFA after next season, and probably won't be giving the Jets a hometown discount.

Rook37

Feb 22, 2013
Winnipeg
would you take spezza + for kane byfuglien and a first the plus being conacher or greening or gryba?

Dude...

Spezza+ for Kane and Buff and a first?

Conacher / greening / gryba alone does not make up the difference there at all considering

Like others have said, you seem to be overvaluing Spezza. Even if he was signed longterm I wouldn't do that. I think you're undervaluing Kane too. Kane + Buff + 1st for Spezza+ just seems like a massive win for the Sens. Maybe I'm being a homer but that seems like an awful lot from us.

I dunno, I know there are rumours right now, but I think it'd take more than that to pry Kane out of Winnipeg

Ryan Giggs

There's no such thing as Scotchtoberfest
Sep 14, 2011
Bell MTS Place
I'm not sure why everyone is always so keen to trade Buff... he's probably been the best Jet this season (along with Little and probably Ladd) he's top 3 in defencemen scoring in the league.

I'd be looking to unload Wheeler and Kane long before I thought about moving Buff.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'm not sure why everyone is always so keen to trade Buff... he's probably been the best Jet this season (along with Little and probably Ladd) he's top 3 in defencemen scoring in the league.

I'd be looking to unload Wheeler and Kane long before I thought about moving Buff.

I would much more interested in moving Buff than Kane. Difference being Kane is barely 22, Buff is 29 in march, and while playing very well, he is just well.......how to put this?....he could gain 40 lbs at any time and be finished as an athlete. I think that is a legitimate fear that GM's have with Buff. I believe that Kane is motivated to be a star and I don't believe that we can say the same for Buff.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
I rarely actually have laughed out loud when I've typed lol, but in this case I definitely did! :laugh:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
A big 90 point C? Na, we got no use for that ;) I would totally do Spezza straight up for Buff. Maybe even Buff and a second or prospect. Yes, he'd be up for a contract in 1.5 years, but maybe he would like it here. If you know he isn't signing by next feb, you dump him as a rental.

I would certainly do something like Buff/Cormier/Telegin/2nd for Spezza, .....but those "clearing out the trash" deals only work on EA NHL. Plus Binghamton is red hot, they don't need/want anybody.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
A big 90 point C? Na, we got no use for that ;) I would totally do Spezza straight up for Buff. Maybe even Buff and a second or prospect. Yes, he'd be up for a contract in 1.5 years, but maybe he would like it here. If you know he isn't signing by next feb, you dump him as a rental.

I would certainly do something like Buff/Cormier/Telegin/2nd for Spezza, .....but those "clearing out the trash" deals only work on EA NHL. Plus Binghamton is red hot, they don't need/want anybody.

The problem is that you can only trade Buff once. If we trade him for a player that will only be in Winnipeg for another year, the Jets will just end up spinning their wheels in mediocrity. While he is still a good player, Spezza is a rapidly diminishing asset due to age and looming UFA. (I would say he's closer to an 80 point C than an 90 pt C, anyway).

I think that if they move Buff, it has to be for young pieces that can fit into a younger core of players (Ladd and Little as the vets, Kane, Trouba, Scheifele, Bogo and the upcoming picks as the younger core). I think the best option if the Jets trade Buff is to target is a young top-6 F, a very good prospect and a high pick.

I thought that the Flyers might have been open to a big trade like that earlier, and they have the right pieces. But they have picked up their play and I think that window is closing (or closed).

Beavski24

Aug 10, 2012
Calgary
a better trade would be
Kane + buff +4th for Turris+Erik Karlsson +2nd.

Spezza is worth Oli +Stuart and a 3rd

Last edited:

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
a better trade would be
Kane + buff +4th are worth Turris+Erik Karlsson +2nd

Oh god would that ever get torn to **** on the main boards. Rule number 65 of HF my friend. Erik Karlsson is god and is worth the world and a half dozen twinkies.

In all serious there is only about 10 players I'd ship the Kane Buff package for and two of them play for the penquins FWIW

Ovi
Crosby
Malkin
Toews+
Kane+

Edit: Okay theres 5...

Beavski24

Aug 10, 2012
Calgary
just sayin it would be a better trade personally kane and buff> than turris + erik karlsson. Buff is one of our best players we have like him or hate him he gets it done I would hate to see him go for nothing

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
The problem is that you can only trade Buff once. If we trade him for a player that will only be in Winnipeg for another year, the Jets will just end up spinning their wheels in mediocrity. While he is still a good player, Spezza is a rapidly diminishing asset due to age and looming UFA. (I would say he's closer to an 80 point C than an 90 pt C, anyway).

I think that if they move Buff, it has to be for young pieces that can fit into a younger core of players (Ladd and Little as the vets, Kane, Trouba, Scheifele, Bogo and the upcoming picks as the younger core). I think the best option if the Jets trade Buff is to target is a young top-6 F, a very good prospect and a high pick.

I thought that the Flyers might have been open to a big trade like that earlier, and they have the right pieces. But they have picked up their play and I think that window is closing (or closed).

I agree Whileee.

Regarding the possibility of the Flyers possibly wanting Buff and their recent play, that is something I have wondered about. Does their recent play increase or decrease possibly wanting him? I could see the argument on both sides. On one side the team is doing better, so maybe the GM wants to keep things the same and see if the team can make the playoffs? On the other side, maybe he sees the team doing better, and thinks that getting a piece like Buff for right now (minues the pieces to get him), gives them a better chance at the playoffs in the East?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Hey, if you think Buff is defensively irresponsible, then just wait 'til you get a load of Spezza!

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

This is the same Flyers team that played so well against the sleeping Jets that they humbled our boys to the tune of 2-1? Those guys?

I'll agree, they've been playing better, at least in part because Giroux has finally woken up but I don't think they're anywhere near at the point where they shouldn't be addressing needs and fill holes, whether Buff is part of that or not. I legitimately don't see the Flyers being as good a team as the Jets, recent result not withstanding.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Shot metrics show Spezza is starting a steep decline and the points production will follow soon. They also hint that his defensive flaws may outweigh his offense for the first time in his career, which has yet to happen for Buff.

Flyers are doing better but the last time a goalie had a career Sv% like Mason and then played this good for just over 20 games was Rick Dipietro, who collapsed back to norm. Flyers goaltending has been over performing for them to play as well as they have been.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00