Would you rather: WC2 vs. Metro 3

WC2 or Metro 3

• Total voters

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Pretty simple here it looks like we either get the Rangers or the Panthers. I think I could make the case that as the team is built and how we've faired as of late against the Rangers, would it be so bad going up against the Panthers?

1) It gives the Pens an underdog feel and a different look in the playoffs.

2) It keeps them from the Metro division which has been a tad of a struggle lately.

3) It gives the team an excuse when they get a 1st round exit :laugh:

But seriously the way we are stumbling into the playoffs, I could make a case that it would just be better to be an ultimate dog as the WC2 spot and enter territory of playing the Panthers and co.

For the record - we would be dogs against the Panthers but the way we are playing, we are dogs against everyone.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It’s hard for me to choose. I don’t think we’d fare great against either one, so this isn’t a vote for who we’d be more likely to beat…I voted for the Panthers just because I think it’d be a more entertaining series…I believe we lose in round one anyway regardless of opponent

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It’s hard for me to choose. I don’t think we’d fare great against either one, so this isn’t a vote for who we’d be more likely to beat…I voted for the Panthers just because I think it’d be a more entertaining series…I believe we lose in round one anyway regardless of opponent

To be fair - ceteris paribus

We don't look like we will do well against any playoff team. I can't imagine the team i've seen in the last 10 days would be able to beat any team in the best of seven. But we know the playoffs are unique and different.

Reactions: Andy99 and Al Smith

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
To be fair - ceteris paribus

We don't look like we will do well against any playoff team. I can't imagine the team i've seen in the last 10 days would be able to beat any team in the best of seven. But we know the playoffs are unique and different.
Yep. Doesn’t matter. We’d lose to anyone now, but we might figure out our team defense for the playoffs. If we play Fla, Bob could be playoff Bob. If we get the Rags, we might figure out how to cleanly break out of our own zone agst their forecheck in which case they’re eminently beatable. Or we might just continue to suck.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I voted WC3 but I do think we'd probably lose either series. If we got our shit together though we could beat the Rangers. If we got our shit together we might still lose to Florida. They're that good.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
If the Penguins were to beat the Panthers, they would match up against Tampa or Toronto. Tampa is sliding just like the Penguins and Toronto is Toronto.

I actually like that path rather than risk being Shesterkin'd or - if they were to beat the Rangers - having to face a Carolina team that gives the Pens fits.

Reactions: td_ice and reino

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Not only are Carolina and Rangers boring teams, they are also better built in 7 game series than Panthers. I rather watch run and gun hockey than boring defensive hockey.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yep. Doesn’t matter. We’d lose to anyone now, but we might figure out our team defense for the playoffs. If we play Fla, Bob could be playoff Bob. If we get the Rags, we might figure out how to cleanly break out of our own zone agst their forecheck in which case they’re eminently beatable. Or we might just continue to suck.
I think this is a very fair assessment. Rangers pinch their defense hard on us because they aren't afraid of our speed. We have yet to change our game to do a supported breakout / finish checks to make them pay for that.

Yeah i'm open to anything. I mean Tampa and Washington in the past have proven regular seasons don't matter all that much. But style of play DOES matter. And what we see right now is just not healthy for team defense.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I want nothing to do with the Panthers. That’s deep, heavy, skilled team. If the Pens play the system game they did at the start, I see no problems beating the rangers. Question is “if”

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Panthers. Either:

a) They get their heads out of their asses, start playing a structured, defensive game that could give the Panthers problems

or

b) They keep their heads up their asses, the Panthers light them on fire, and Sullivan finally gets canned.

Either way, it would be more entertaining than facing the Rags.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I want nothing to do with the Panthers. That’s deep, heavy, skilled team. If the Pens play the system game they did at the start, I see no problems beating the rangers. Question is “if”

Name the last playoff series Bob has looked decent in

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Easy to be confused they played 3 goaltenders lol

Knight's playoff experience is a whopping 2 games.

He's still better than Bob, but let's not make out that he's some grizzled veteran with tons of experience to fall back on if things go a little sideways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad