Would you rather the Jets be more active in the offseason(Trading and Signing) or No?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
What's wrong with our options at 3C?

I'm not happy with the way Maurice has constructed and used our 3rd and 4th lines but I don't see the problem as a lack of the personnel for the job.

I would prefer to get a 2LD with a future with the Jets but a solid upgrade on the 3rd pair could do wonders. I think Toby and Buff are probably still good together.

Still, it is nice to dream. Pencil in:
Bernier
Bonino
Smith
I think that would be a lineup that could compete with the best. :)

This is indeed where the main problem lies. Even when we have the right personnel, Maurice has no clue how to use them. Hung up on forwards like Lowry and Thorburn, and defense like Chiarot & Stu. Won't give a proper chance to guys like Postma & forwards like Petan & Dano.

We can get all the talent in place we want, if they aren't used properly, aint worth squat.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I understand not having a 4th line that plays <5 mins but do you really want a 4th line playing 10 mins 5v5?? I want my top 6 playing 18-20 minimum. That only leaves 22 mins for the bottom six.

I said 8-10, but if that is 5v5 it may be a little high with their ST's time added. Make it an avg. of 10 mins each, all situations, when healthy. 19 + 17 + 14 + 10 = 60.

The point is to have a 4th line that can be trusted on the ice. Those players will end up avg more time because they will move up when there are injuries.

Thor played in 64 games this year and averaged 6:59 TOI. Of course his TOI would have been higher if not for the stupid fights.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
some one mentioned Derek Forbort from the LA Kings. Id try and workout a deal for him. Muzzin i think would cost to much, but for a 2nd pairing D i think Forbort could step in. Wouldn't touch Brendan Smith for a 10 ft pole.

I could get behind a 3C who could play 2C in a pinch (Little and Perrault injuries are inevitable it seems), and it would push Lowry down to 4C.

Wouldn't hurt to see a guy with playoff and SC experience come in as the jets have none outside of Buff.

Yup, I don't see much in Smith to crave on, but Forbert or Muzzin are attractive. If we're hung up on whether to protect Lowry anyway, throw him into a deal with LA for one of those guys. Make some wrinkles in who to protect for the XD but we'll deal with that later

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
This team really only has 3 needs:

Goaltender: I feel one of Elliot, Bernier or Johnson will ne picked up in UFA.

Good depth forward that can PK. I see a trade for Hansen or a FA signing similar to Matthias.

2nd/3rd pair LD: I see a trade with Vegas during the expansion draft to address this if they so choose.

Agree on those being our three greatest needs. Then give us a coach who knows how to use what he has & we're deep in the playoffs.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
some one mentioned Derek Forbort from the LA Kings. Id try and workout a deal for him. Muzzin i think would cost to much, but for a 2nd pairing D i think Forbort could step in. Wouldn't touch Brendan Smith for a 10 ft pole.

I could get behind a 3C who could play 2C in a pinch (Little and Perrault injuries are inevitable it seems), and it would push Lowry down to 4C.

Wouldn't hurt to see a guy with playoff and SC experience come in as the jets have none outside of Buff.

I think Forbort would play 3LD behind Toby. He would be a clear upgrade on Chiarot, is the right age and is from just down the road in Duluth. :) I'd be happy to get him if the price was right.

LAK want to get younger and cheaper. We might have a F they'd be interested in after the XD, depending on who we lose.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yup, I don't see much in Smith to crave on, but Forbert or Muzzin are attractive. If we're hung up on whether to protect Lowry anyway, throw him into a deal with LA for one of those guys. Make some wrinkles in who to protect for the XD but we'll deal with that later

ive seen to much of B.Smith as a Wing for nearly 300 games that I would temper my expectations with the 30 game showing with NYR.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Throughout his history here, Chevy has survived with little to no summer moves. When he has gone out & got some UFAs, they've generally been bad moves.

Time to get on your high horse & take this team where it deserves to be. No more waiting...waiting....waiting for prospects to develope. We've reached the stage where we need a real manager, not a pretender.

Perreault, Matthias - good signings

Ponikarovsky - can't call that bad - after 12 games with us he was traded for 2 picks (Kichton and Nogier). Fun fact - he was traded just over a year earlier for a 4th rd pick - Jaccob Slavin. :laugh: Wish we'd got that one instead of Kichton. :laugh:

Jokinen - Never earned his contract but wasn't terrible. Gone after only 2 seasons.

Hutchinson - Never cost anything. Call it what you like.

Those are all I can think of. Seems like there should be more.

Brian Strait - How could I forget. Horrid signing but didn't do us fans any harm. If I was Chipman I would be telling Chevy he owes me $600k though. :laugh:

I agree that the time has come to change style/tactics. Just as they have always said they would spend when the time came the time has come to become more proactive at putting the finishing touches on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00