Would you rather the Jets be more active in the offseason(Trading and Signing) or No?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Last year was a luck year for the team getting a player like Laine in the tips of our fingers but we didn't have any good FA deals or any decent trades(if any) now seeing how this season played out(you could see a mass of individual talent all over the board but the team missed many pieces and perpetual amount of experience), so knowing the skill and talent the Jets contain what kind of offseason do you wanna see?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
What I want is the Jets to be actively engaged in filling the holes in the bottom 6, because there's a decent amount of talent to be had right now. What I don't want is for them to do nothing, and expect the homegrown depth to fill that role, because we have seen what Paul Maurice does with that depth.

Larabee

Mar 10, 2011
Winnipeg
No team succeeds with draft and develop alone. Need to copy the Edmonton style and fill some glaring holes, even if it means trading a good asset. Not sure Chevy has what it takes.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I voted for a small portion of "acticity" because the Urban Dictionary defines it as "action that can not be done under normal circumstances". This would seem to fit into Chevy's modus operandi. :sarcasm:

Seriously, it's not the quantity of activity that matters, it's the quality. The right moves have to be made. Change for change sake is unlikely to yield an improvement.

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
Make some moves. Chevy signed Stempniak and Tlusty when we were ready for the playoffs a couple years ago. I see that approach coming this offseason as him and management probably see that this team is ready to take that jump forward this year.

Legit competition in goal (Elliott or Condon type signing), adding a solid dman on the back end to shore up the blue line and even a veteran bottom 6 forward as we see some guys like that being very valuable come playoff time. That is what I expect. Nothing less than that. Connor probably makes the team this year and Poolman gets a hard look to take that 7th spot away from guys like Chiarot and Stuart (assuming Postma is gone).

Daviddd

Oct 9, 2016
I wasn't expecting us to sign bishop and Darling was a pipe dream, but we need to sign a vet goaltender before we're left with the leftovers that no one wants.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I would accept having no player transactions at all, if it meant Maurice getting fired.

We will not be a contender under Maurice, and even a playoff spot seems very unlikely.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Goalie (Halak or Mason)
1LHD or 2LHD (Muzzin)
help on the PK (J Staal)

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I voted " small portion of activity". I just think adding an experienced/backup goalie and bottom pairing defensive depth is nothing headline grabbing and not to much to ask for.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
From the perspective of a fan-forum poster -- frenetic activity all the way. Zillions of trades and acquisitions. More fun, more fodder for discussion.

From a fan with long-term success in mind -- pickups to fix and/or augment goaltending, LHD and bottom-six. Less fun, less risk, and more success (hopefully).

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
I'll take that bet. ;) We make the playoffs with Mo next year.

Yep, I take that bet as well.

A bottom pair "D" and an average NHL goalie to share duties with Helle gets this team in the playoffs, maybe even the top 3 of the central.

Oh, and maybe a little discipline handed out for taking stupid penalties.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
I'm only interested in Chevy doing what he thinks he needs to do to make the Jets a contender. I've got a great deal of comfort in his abilities to make the difference. Period!

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
No team succeeds with draft and develop alone. Need to copy the Edmonton style and fill some glaring holes, even if it means trading a good asset. Not sure Chevy has what it takes.

Does that include being objectively one of the worst teams in the league for a good ten years?

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
Does that include being objectively one of the worst teams in the league for a good ten years?

We're past our 6 year mark with no playoff success, nevermind very nearly being one of the final 4. One more year of no playoffs and people will be looking longingly at a 10 year drought followed by instant respectability.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Goalie who isn't statistically the worst goalie in the league not named Pavelec.
Left side D that is actually NHL quality.
Bottom 6 F that can help with the PK and play a solid 10-12 minutes a game without being a black hole (or part of one).

C'mon Jets... do something.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not many moves are required, but those that are required are absolutely critical to our success.

1) Supplement goaltending with a steady vet for 1-2 bridge years

2) Sign Trouba long term

3) Add D depth/upgrade, Toby aging and bottom pairing suck bad.

4) Decide fate of Little, either sign him to a 3-4 year deal or trade him (only of Jack proves he is ready for 2C). Likely extend him, can trade him later if we have to due to cap.

5) Add depth on 4th line, either from internal or FA/trade.

6) Draft a D with our 1st rd pick

All very reasonable to do (exception might be Trouba), so just get it done Chevy. If he fails to do all the above, we could be in for another bad season.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
The Jets have 3 clear holes in their lineup: legit starter in net, 3C, and a 2nd pairing LHD.

I expect Chevy will settle for a backup tender who will split time with Helle and ignore addressing the other two.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The Jets have 3 clear holes in their lineup: legit starter in net, 3C, and a 2nd pairing LHD.

I expect Chevy will settle for a backup tender who will split time with Helle and ignore addressing the other two.

You wrote 3c instead of 4c.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I expect a lot of action, but it coming via trading forward prospects.

There's not enough room on the Moose for everyone. Fully expect 2-4 players being moved for a LSD & a UFA signing at goal.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I'll take that bet. ;) We make the playoffs with Mo next year.

Me too.

Goalie (Halak or Mason)
1LHD or 2LHD (Muzzin)
help on the PK (J Staal)

Top pairing defenceman? What don't you aim a little higher? ;)

Do you guys think that Raanta would be a decent competitor for 1G here?

I'd be happy with Raanta. The only thing that gives me pause is the fact that the Blackhawks had an opportunity to put his name on the cup and didn't.

Why? Who did he **** off?

I don't care how many moves they make, I care that they make good ones.

This is the correct answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad