Would you rather have Boedker and Schlemko for $6.1M or Loui Eriksson for $6M?

Paka Ono

Pro Ice Girl Scout
Jun 29, 2011
SF
I have a feeling when all is said and done, $4M for Boedker will be a bargain.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
This question kind of reminds me of the Giants offseason where they were going after Grankie and ended up with Cueto and Shark. Two is better than one and the price is pretty good for both. DW did good yesterday.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I was for sure wanting the Sharks to sign Eriksson. And even though I would have preferred him at 5.5x5 I would have been okay with the deal Van got.

I also was low on Boedker, but that was primarily because the consensus was that is was going to take a similar contract (~5.5x5) to sign him. I'm happy to have him during his prime years on a very reasonable contract. So much so that I'd take Boedker at 4x4 over Eriksson at 6x6 straight up. It'd be close but I would take Boedker. Ad in a reasonable contract for Schlemko and that pushes it over the top.

The Sharks now have lots of options up and down the forward lines and much more flexibility on the bottom pairing. Additionally they can really wait and see on a couple players to see if it's best to move them, keep them in the minors, give a smaller or larger role (Dillon, Wingels, Meier, Nieto, Goldobin, Demelo, etc)

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Think of it this way: Boedker or Nieto.

How about Pirri, or Versteeg, or Vrbata? LA got Purcell for one year around $1.6M, NYI got Parenteau one year around $1.5M. That's the kind of winger we should have been after, although I obviously agree Nieto isn't good enough for the role that needed filling.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
How about Pirri, or Versteeg, or Vrbata? LA got Purcell for one year around $1.6M, NYI got Parenteau one year around $1.5M. That's the kind of winger we should have been after, although I obviously agree Nieto isn't good enough for the role that needed filling.

Pirri is not good. When he's not scoring goals he's not doing anything. He also is noted to have effort inconsistency/issues.

Nobody wants Kris Versteeg for more than a year and his possession statistics have been boosted by LA. He might be a good get, but my money says he wants to go back to Florida.

Vrbata is 35 and coming off of a 27 point season while being carried by the Sedins the past few years. This year he was split up and was terrible.

And guess what? All of those guys played in much more sheltered roles than Boedker did. Vrbata, the only exception, had two hall of famers playing next to him.

Purcell and Parenteau are buttery soft and are complete floaters. Parenteau might have been a good get, but the Leafs couldn't even get anything for him at the deadline, if that tells you anything...

I understand you're upset, but why not wait until we see what he does to judge this?

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
People forget that prior to this season when LE produced quite well for the Bruins, he was under all sorts of pressure for underperforming.

One good year and he gets a massive contract from a desperate team.
He's not worth what he got, nor the term.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Pirri is not good. When he's not scoring goals he's not doing anything. He also is noted to have effort inconsistency/issues.

Are you describing Pirri or Boedker?

Nobody wants Kris Versteeg for more than a year and his possession statistics have been boosted by LA. He might be a good get, but my money says he wants to go back to Florida.

Versteeg's possession stats were elite with Carolina too. I watched quite a bit of him with the Canes and I was consistently impressed.

Vrbata is 35 and coming off of a 27 point season while being carried by the Sedins the past few years. This year he was split up and was terrible.

Yeah, that's because the Sedins were literally the only decent forwards the Canucks had.

And guess what? All of those guys played in much more sheltered roles than Boedker did. Vrbata, the only exception, had two hall of famers playing next to him.

And all those guys could have been signed for a quarter of the price and term that Boedker got.

Purcell and Parenteau are buttery soft and are complete floaters. Parenteau might have been a good get, but the Leafs couldn't even get anything for him at the deadline, if that tells you anything...

Boedker is a floater and "buttery soft" (as if I cared about toughness). And all that tells us about Parenteau is that he ran over someone's puppy. He keeps getting fourth line contracts and scoring at second line rates.

I understand you're upset, but why not wait until we see what he does to judge this?

Why does Boedker get the benefit of the doubt? Was it too quick to judge the Polak/Spaling trades the day they happened? Was it too quick to judge the Reimer trade when it happened? Isn't there an entire thread on this forum dedicated to judging everyone's free agency signings right as they happen? Why is it that our judgements are valid when they're positive (ie Schlemko) but when they're negative it's "too early to tell"? My judgements of the Martin and Ward contracts basically haven't changed all that much since the day they were signed. Boedker could surprise but he's been in the league long enough that he's not an unknown quantity. We know what we have and we know what he is.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Why does Boedker get the benefit of the doubt? Was it too quick to judge the Polak/Spaling trades the day they happened? Was it too quick to judge the Reimer trade when it happened? Isn't there an entire thread on this forum dedicated to judging everyone's free agency signings right as they happen? Why is it that our judgements are valid when they're positive (ie Schlemko) but when they're negative it's "too early to tell"? My judgements of the Martin and Ward contracts basically haven't changed all that much since the day they were signed. Boedker could surprise but he's been in the league long enough that he's not an unknown quantity. We know what we have and we know what he is.

Because the Sharks signed him :laugh: All we can do is wait and see how he does. Hopefully playing dominant possession players will help him.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Are you describing Pirri or Boedker?

Versteeg's possession stats were elite with Carolina too. I watched quite a bit of him with the Canes and I was consistently impressed.

Yeah, that's because the Sedins were literally the only decent forwards the Canucks had.

And all those guys could have been signed for a quarter of the price and term that Boedker got.

Boedker is a floater and "buttery soft" (as if I cared about toughness). And all that tells us about Parenteau is that he ran over someone's puppy. He keeps getting fourth line contracts and scoring at second line rates.

I think with a player that has been in boedkers development it's more of a wait and see.

Whenever you take a guy that was likely seen as a teams most dangerous scoring threat and played in all situations and move him to a team where he becomes top 9 depth it's completely fair to wait and see.

Rick Nash became a two way beast with the Rangers.

McGinn became a more complete player but in an opposite scenario.

Phil kessel became more complete the guy that over a 4 year sample including his year with the Penguins was a 47% CF?

I'm sure there are others. Point is he will likely out score Marleau at ES. He can operate on every line. And I bet his defensive game is underrated.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Looking at WOWYs, it doesn't look like Pirri's particularly good, actually kinda outright bad for the most part.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Looking at WOWYs, it doesn't look like Pirri's particularly good, actually kinda outright bad for the most part.

Yea if boedker is an anchor don't want to know what pirri is.

Tbf last season his numbers looked decent on Florida. Mostly playing with Hayes and trocheck.

He broke 20 goals and had only 2 assists. Totaling 24 points. Really strange lol.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
You guys did so well. Your entire SCF team is intact (minus Spaling and Polak) and you upgraded it with Boedker and Schlemko, aka more scoring and a much better depth defenceman.

Don't like the term on the Eriksson deal for the Canucks but I feel that if Benning was bound and determined to get one of the big names, it might as well have been Okposo or Eriksson.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yea if boedker is an anchor don't want to know what pirri is.

Tbf last season his numbers looked decent on Florida. Mostly playing with Hayes and trocheck.

He broke 20 goals and had only 2 assists. Totaling 24 points. Really strange lol.

Boedker's strange too. He was bad in Arizona but he was kind of consistent in that there's a minor downward trend with whoever he was playing with but he did really well in Colorado alongside MacKinnon and Roy's system is ridiculously bad possession wise. Granted he has a small sample size there.

Pirri's more of a wildcard though but mostly kinda bad it's just that you don't know how bad it's gonna be.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
You guys did so well. Your entire SCF team is intact (minus Spaling and Polak) and you upgraded it with Boedker and Schlemko, aka more scoring and a much better depth defenceman.

Don't like the term on the Eriksson deal for the Canucks but I feel that if Benning was bound and determined to get one of the big names, it might as well have been Okposo or Eriksson.

I think the term is fine, it's the way it's structured that's not.

You're going to see a lot of bad contracts in 4 years that are basically buyout proof. O'Reilly started a terrible trend.

Benning has stayed away from them mostly, and Eriksson is still a productive player. That was a good deal (except for the structure).

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I think the term is fine, it's the way it's structured that's not.

You're going to see a lot of bad contracts in 4 years that are basically buyout proof. O'Reilly started a terrible trend.

Benning has stayed away from them mostly, and Eriksson is still a productive player. That was a good deal (except for the structure).

eriksson's entire contract is bonus ridden. of his 36 million dollar contract 28 million is paid in bonuses.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I think Eriksson is overrated and overpaid. I'd take Boedker and Schlemko, and I'd even take Boedker at 4M by himself over Eriksson at 6M. I think Boedker is going to surprise people this year being on a team with actual talent offensively.

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
I prefer the flexibility of 2 players vs 1. Also, I think Eriksson is injury prone or vulnerable. I have doubts that Eriksson can finish his contract.

DW had 2 good signings. Polak and Spaling for Boedker and Schlemko. Sharks are better off.

Still need a good backup. Dell is a question mark. He may or may not be the solution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad