Would you rather have Boedker and Schlemko for $6.1M or Loui Eriksson for $6M?

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Eh, I'm fairly neutral. I like the two deals that Doug signed, but I like Eriksson too. I'd choose Eriksson, but I figure Doug didn't want to give a six year contract.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Discounting contracts, I take Eriksson over them no question, and I really like Boedker. Boedker has a pretty sweet deal though, so I prefer him for that reason (plus age).

The Great John Scott

#Trade4JohnScott
Aug 23, 2014
Would have liked Eriksson, even if it was at around that price. But he would have come at a cost that would have made it more difficult for DW to address the other holes in the roster. Happy with Schlemko and Boedker though!

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Eriksson would've been awesome but because we count the contracts I would take Schlemko and Boedker easily.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
The more that I think about it (and read the other posts) I prefer Boedker and Schlemko. We already have more elite talent than most, and depth is what separates the good teams from the great ones.

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
I'd much rather Boedker/Schlemko at 6.1 for 4 years. Erickson while good is completely injury prone. He's a time bomb alla Milan Michalek. If he and Boedker were making the same then sure I'd lean Erickson but that 6 year contract would frighten me with his history

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
I'd take the 2 smaller contracts. More roster flexibility and less chance of it ending up disastrously

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I love Eriksson but Schlemko fills a bigger need for us and even though I generally dislike the Boedker deal, I think he should be able to play decently enough in our top 9 to give us scoring depth

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Eriksson's career is sadly going to be shorter than a lot of people realize. He's been absolutely destroyed by Orpik and John Scott in the last few years.

I would've been fine paying him that, but if we needed to buy him out the way Vancouver loaded his contract makes it brutal no matter what point in his contract it is.

So, while Eriksson's alone is better, unless the 6x6 was allowed to be structured differently, it's easily Schlemoedker.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
I am a bit wary of giving injury risks like Eriksson his 6x6.

I prefer Schlemko and Boedker because Schlemko fills a need and we still got a top 9 forward.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I'd take the Sharks signings, easily

By the time Boedker's contact is up he and Eriksson will have very similar production, I'll take the cap savings and spread the wealth to the defense

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I would have loved to get Eriksson but not with that bonus-laden contract. I'll take Schlemko and Boedker bc Schlemko fills a bigger need and bc Eriksson's contract handcuffs the Canucks.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Eriksson's career is sadly going to be shorter than a lot of people realize. He's been absolutely destroyed by Orpik and John Scott in the last few years.

I would've been fine paying him that, but if we needed to buy him out the way Vancouver loaded his contract makes it brutal no matter what point in his contract it is.

So, while Eriksson's alone is better, unless the 6x6 was allowed to be structured differently, it's easily Schlemoedker.

Doug Murray concussed him as well.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
Great. That video reminded me that at one time we employed Wallin. :cry: Boy, how far we have come from having 2 barely AHL-quality D-men on the 3rd pairing, and being always 1 injury away from having someone like Brad Stuart's Corpse on our 1st pairing.

As for the poll, it's Boedker and Schlemko, easily. Eriksson may be better than Boedker right now, but if DeBoer can get Boedker developing to a 60+ point player, then that's not always going to be true. Besides, our BIGGEST need was a 3rd pairing offensive D-man that could play either side. Eriksson does nothing to fill that need, obviously. While I guess I would have been OK with going into the season with a Dillon - DeMelo pairinng, Dillon - Schlemko sounds better, and Schlemko - DeMelo sounds better still, especially if DW gets us there by trading Dillon for something else that improves the team. (Depth center? backup goalie? Picks? A truckload of 50 gallon drums of spray tan?)

DystopianTierney

V^V^V 2050 V^V^V
May 3, 2014
Campbell, CA
Disagree that bottom pairing was our biggest need. I like Schlemko (not so much the contract), but I was fine with DeMelo after what he showed this year. If anything, I'm feeling less confident with Dillon, but still don't see an upgrade as a major need. I'm fairly confident Dillon/Polak - Schlemko would have been bent over in the finals.

Honestly feel like DeMelo should have been given every opportunity to make the spot his, and guys like Schlemko cost pennies at the deadline (and don't require committing term).

Biggest positive with Schlemko is what he potentially adds to the 2nd PP unit. Don't think he makes us that better defensively compared to DeMelo, though.

Eriksson is no Havlat, but there is still some risk with his history. Not enough to deter a 6 year deal, imo. He really hasn't missed many games in his career.

Adding a 26 year old who has hit 50 points twice already is a great consolation, though. Doug's first choice was probably Eriksson, but he probably ended up getting a bargain deal on Boedker. If he exceeds 50 points in teal, it will be the best signing of the summer.

Money, term and age on the Boedker addition has me liking the 6.1M option a lot more than anything Schlemko brings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad