Would you rather: Captaincy

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I still think Hall is the on ice leader.

I think McDavid is too young to have the C. It adds more pressure to him. He already is tasked with being the guy to pull us out of the quicksand. And he isn't even 20 yet.

Didn't Hall say that McDavid was the leader on the ice by the end of the year?

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I think they should role the multiple A's like they did this year. I don't think you can give it to Hendo as much as he's a good leader your play has to stay at a high level and I don't see his play being there next year. Either way it should be the 2017-2018 year he gets the C but I won't lose sleep if they give it to him next year.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
I personally hate giving the C to a guy so young. If he gets it he gets it.

But I would give it to Taylor Hall, I dont know anything about what the room is like. But he is the longest serving player, seems vocal, looks like he gives a s***, and has some experience

And McDavid chose to live with him, and speaks highly of him. clearly he has some respect for him and Im sure he would not be upset with the decision.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
After last week's comments by the coach and players I'd be shocked if McDavid doesn't get it to start the year.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Just make McDavid the captain. Not Hendricks. Hendricks is the Ethan Moreau of 2016. The "Well he works so hard, and bleeds copper and blue maybe it will rub off on the younger players" choice. Screw that. The Oilers haven't had a "talented" captain since Doug Weight. I can also count the number of talented captains the Oilers have ever had on one hand... "Gretzky, Messier, Weight"

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Jonathon Toews was captain at a young age. Give it to the best player.

Gretzky didn't get it until his fifth season in the league.

I don't see the reason to rush things with McDavid. Another season without a captain wouldn't be terrible. If the team feels they need a captain an older vet who won't possibly be around five or more years.

What about a guy like Maroon? Great attitude. He leads on the ice. Would like to see everyone on the team play with his grit.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
McDavid is great obviously but hes played like 45 games and is 19.

Id let him get one more season under his belt and then make him Captain.

Hendricks would be a fine captain for a year.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
McDavid is the captain whether they give him the C or not so they may as well.

Tendencyman

Mar 6, 2002
Edmonton, Alberta
Visit site
McDavid is too young to be a captain on a bad NHL team. I would vote for Hall to be the captain. Tyler Hall used to be center of attention in Edmonton. He must have high expectation for himself and the team. Oilers cannot ignore his feeling in naming captain. Otherwise, he will feel like a second class citizen and will want out.

This will also impact Oilers' public image among potential free agents. Who wants to come to an organization that does not appreciate and respect players? (Souray)

Avenger*

I don't mind if it's given to McDavid as he'll eventually get it anyways and it's clearly obvious that he's respected in the room but I would like to see Hendricks have it for a season. The guy has done nothing but give everything he has every shift and never takes a night off.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm definitely sick of us putting off the captaincy, and imo slapping the C on a veteran short term is just another way of putting it off. Might as well pick our long term captain before the next season starts.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
No point in delaying the inevitable.

McDavid is already their best player and his teammates and coaches already look at him as their leader. This is HIS team now and hopefully for the next 15 years or more. Let him dictate how he wants his team to play.

He's mature beyond his years and he's had incredible pressure on him since he was like 13. You can already see that he's a leader based on the way he deals with the officials, media, teammates, etc.

I don't see the point in giving it to Hendricks or even Hall. Give them each an A. End of story.

SweatpantsNiceShoes

Jan 1, 2015
How does Hall not get the C here? He personifies everything the Oilers are about.
The kid's a stud and deserving to be the true leader

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
What is the criteria for............???

What is the criteria for Captain?..............best potential player? Best leader? Best leader off the ice?

I just don't get this rush to put a 19 year old kid who has played half of a season in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad