Would you rather: Captaincy

McDeathbyCheerios*

If we are going to give it to Hendricks for a year we might as well just run with assistants again.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If we are going to give it to Hendricks for a year we might as well just run with assistants again.

The other side of the argument is by giving Hendricks the captaincy, you're rewarding a guy for being a leader, and leaving it all on the ice for us. He was the captain of team USA, so it's not like he isn't worthy

McDeathbyCheerios*

The other side of the argument is by giving Hendricks the captaincy, you're rewarding a guy for being a leader, and leaving it all on the ice for us. He was the captain of team USA, so it's not like he isn't worthy
I agree. I just don't think bouncing captain around a bunch is great for the room

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Let's just wait until after the draft at least, a few guys could move (not that I'm boosting that)

Evil Ernie

Nov 2, 2011
I think Bucky was great.
We sucked really bad when he was the captain but he did everything the coach asked out of him which included getting his face punched in 50+ games per year.

Bucky was awesome! Amazing how people's opinions of former players are clouded by their deeds after they stopped playing. The guy led a team of Rudy Rudegers to playoff upsets in 2 straight years.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think you can start narrowing it down next year. But I want to see some success for the team before giving out the C.

McDavid, Hall, Davidson would get my 3 "A"'s next season, with Connor getting the C at a later point.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Start of the year. He's the undisputed face of this franchise.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
On Hendricks, I have a tough time give a letter to a guy who could spend multiple games in the PB next year. Though just because he doesn't have a letter doesn't mean he's not a key part of the leadership here.

With how in-flex this team is, I don't think there's an ideal situation in the room yet. And honestly I don't think forcing the C one someone is the best answer.

I'm not a big believer that having the C is a big issue in the room, but it can easily become a lightening rod for the media and fans if the team struggles. See Phaneuf and Pacioretty out east, or Horcoff and Moreau from years prior here.

Do we really want that hanging over McDavid's (or Hall's) head and being a distraction?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Understood.

On the flip side, does rewarding Hendo with the C hurt the team?

Why not go with Hendo, McD and Hall as rotating A's?

I've never seen any outrage at trading an assistant captain. That C makes a much bigger impact.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There was a suggestion by Rishaug I believe saying we could wait until December to make a decision. There really is not point in rushing.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Bucky was awesome! Amazing how people's opinions of former players are clouded by their deeds after they stopped playing. The guy led a team of Rudy Rudegers to playoff upsets in 2 straight years.

It's flat out sad.
None of our captains put their body on the line like he did.
As he's getting up there in years I'm honestly worried for his health given all of the punches to the face his taken.
People can complain that we didn't win a lot and he didn't put up many points while he was captain... but our organization sucked back then. In the early 90's we had a few early 1st round picks that didn't turn out and we didn't have the cash to sign quality free agents.
Since the Messier left I'd say he was our best captain.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I agree. I just don't think bouncing captain around a bunch is great for the room

True enough. Hendricks is one of those guys who is a leader regardless of if a letter on his chest, so I don't think it's a huge impact either way

Understood.

On the flip side, does rewarding Hendo with the C hurt the team?

Why not go with Hendo, McD and Hall as rotating A's?

I've never seen any outrage at trading an assistant captain. That C makes a much bigger impact.

Ya, if we're planning on dealing Hendricks at the deadline, I don't think you give it to him

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB

Ask Ryan Smyth of what he thought about Kelly Buchberger... was a fantastic leader..

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
It is McD's team now, that may chaff a few of his teammates but Connor has the game to back it up as well.

he has the game, the attitude, the off-ice and on-ice demeanor, the respect of other teams, the iq, the buy-in, the discipline.

yup. far and away the only captain choice

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Ask Ryan Smyth of what he thought about Kelly Buchberger... was a fantastic leader..

Doug Weight was no slouch. We were in a fall in 2000 and he was C and he had the closed door meeting that led to a streak where we won like 12 of 14 and had a great last quarter to make the playoffs.

i love Dougie.

Buchy was one of those guys that made the dressing room such a tight group, yet emotionally loose. Doug Weight learned from him,. and was pushed by Sather to always be better. Good leadership, good management.

Dougie always said after he left Edmonton he missed the push Slats and the Oilers always gave him. every year they expected more and it drove Weight. You see the playoffs where Demitra gets injured and they finally give Weight the top centre position. 12 pts in 5 games.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Has to be McDavid. In TM's post game interview he basically said McDavid told the boys to follow him.

Captain Material.

"Todd McLellan on Connor McDavid’s performance against the St. Louis Blues on Wednesday evening in a 6-4 win:

“Connor? He was good. Ah, he was great,” said McLellan. “He was really dominant. He had the puck on a string. And that’s not an easy team to play against. They defend with their size and their strength, but he was hitting the holes at the right time. He was getting the puck at the right time. His speed was really effective. He stripped pucks. He had good body position. He took the team and he said, ‘Follow me,’ and everybody did.”

Last edited:

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Has to be McDavid. In TM's post game interview he basically said McDavid told the boys to follow him.

Captain Material.

"Todd McLellan on Connor McDavid’s performance against the St. Louis Blues on Wednesday evening in a 6-4 win:

“Connor? He was good. Ah, he was great,†said McLellan. “He was really dominant. He had the puck on a string. And that’s not an easy team to play against. They defend with their size and their strength, but he was hitting the holes at the right time. He was getting the puck at the right time. His speed was really effective. He stripped pucks. He had good body position. He took the team and he said, ‘Follow me,’ and everybody did.â€

Yeah, I saw this too.

It's become obvious that McDavid is their leader NOW. He's young, but he's their best player, he's very mature for his age, and can handle the extra pressure.

They'll give him the "C" over the summer. There's no point in delaying the inevitable. It really doesn't matter who they bring in over the off season, it'll still be Connor's team.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Yeah, I saw this too.

It's become obvious that McDavid is their leader NOW. He's young, but he's their best player, he's very mature for his age, and can handle the extra pressure.

They'll give him the "C" over the summer. There's no point in delaying the inevitable. It really doesn't matter who they bring in over the off season, it'll still be Connor's team.

Great quote and recognition from the coach even though I haven't agreed with him on too many things. I think he had reserved optimism for Connor at the beginning of the year, and now he's seen it with his own eyes has formulated his own opinion of the kid.
Connor has an edge to him too. I think we'll see it more in the coming year. But he has grit. I love it. Give him the damn Captain next year. He deserves it.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Great quote and recognition from the coach even though I haven't agreed with him on too many things. I think he had reserved optimism for Connor at the beginning of the year, and now he's seen it with his own eyes has formulated his own opinion of the kid.
Connor has an edge to him too. I think we'll see it more in the coming year. But he has grit. I love it. Give him the damn Captain next year. He deserves it.

The sense I got from McLellan wasn't that he had reserved optimism at all. I think McLellan had extremely high expectations for Connor however he wanted the minimize the pressure from external sources and thus downplayed what his contributions would be. But make no mistake, McLellan knew exactly how good Connor was going to be this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad