Would you move Staal for Spezza?

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
Keep the defensive depth, or find a way to move Staal for a center who isn't 30+ years old and resign Stralman.

Trading Staal straight up for Spezza is just flipping back to the first page of the book they should be closing when they buy out Richards.

It's not quite that bad because Spezza has only one year left on his deal while Richards has six. But in general, yeah, if you're getting rid of Richards why bring in someone who's even more likely to see a drop in production?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It's not quite that bad because Spezza has only one year left on his deal while Richards has six. But in general, yeah, if you're getting rid of Richards why bring in someone who's even more likely to see a drop in production?

True. A little hyperbole there on my part.

But also, Richards cost nothing but money, and we're talking about Spezza costing a HUGE piece in Staal.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'd prefer to move Staal for a younger center. Maybe Skinner or Duchene but we will have to add significant value to get such a player though.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Sens fans seem to keep throwing out Staal and Brassard/Hagelin for Spezza and Wiercioch. They don't seem to understand that we need to add to our depth at center, not move one out in a deal for a better one. Also have zero interest in Wiercioch. If it was Stone instead of Wiercioch and Hagelin instead of Brassard, I might have to at least think about it.

That all being said, I think Spezza will end up in Anaheim. Those teams have dealt with each other before and I bet Ottawa would like their first rounder back. Fits in well on the 2nd line and doesn't have to carry the offense at 31. Anaheim has flexibility cap wise moving forward and could extend him if they like.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Bottom line is we can't afford another 7 mil player unless we are shipping one out. A deal centered around Nash for Spezza? Fine. But anything else doesn't work.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Staal/Miller/Talbot

For Joe Thorton.

Fact is if we go for a big name contract we can't resign Staal. If we get a big name Center JT Miller has no value to the team anymore. Regardless of anything Talbot wont be a ranger after this contract. He is going to have played 2 seasons as a back up and be 27/28. He will want to test FA and find a job with potential to be a starter since Hank isn't going anywhere.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Staal/Miller/Talbot

For Joe Thorton.

Fact is if we go for a big name contract we can't resign Staal. If we get a big name Center JT Miller has no value to the team anymore. Regardless of anything Talbot wont be a ranger after this contract. He is going to have played 2 seasons as a back up and be 27/28. He will want to test FA and find a job with potential to be a starter since Hank isn't going anywhere.

That is about the worst deal we could make. Spezza Just turned 31. Thornton is getting ready to turn 35. 4 years is a big difference. Maybe this is the year Joe slows down? Id rather go for the younger Spezza despite his injury history if we had to chose between one.

I am all for a Staal for Spezza swap IF we are sure that Staal cannot be resigned.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Spezza as a rangers is just silly. Besides his bigger cap hit and shorter contract length, he isn't known as a team first guy and doens't play hockey like the rangers currently are.

Thornton has a smaller cap hit (not by much) has only missed 4 games in 9 seasons, and a longer deal. The biggest upside is he has documented chemistry with Nash and plays in a system very similar to Rangers. Not the exact same but not to drastically different. He Also has a well documented history of standing up for his team and being overly emotionally involved in his team. Spezza is someone I hope I never see in a blue. Horrible idea.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Frankly there is enough talent here to "get Nash going" withough giving up major assets for a 6.75M, 34 y/o Thornton who - fair or not - also has earned a rep as a playoff choker.

Going in more on "helping Nash" would be incredibly foolish. Nash has the power to reverse the trend. And if the problem is mental issues or concussion issues and he can't turn it around...no further investment will fix that.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Spezza as a rangers is just silly. Besides his bigger cap hit and shorter contract length, he isn't known as a team first guy and doens't play hockey like the rangers currently are.

Thornton has a smaller cap hit (not by much) has only missed 4 games in 9 seasons, and a longer deal. The biggest upside is he has documented chemistry with Nash and plays in a system very similar to Rangers. Not the exact same but not to drastically different. He Also has a well documented history of standing up for his team and being overly emotionally involved in his team. Spezza is someone I hope I never see in a blue. Horrible idea.

All Ottawa has to do is eat 50% and Spezza is only 3.500 CAP HIT.
Plus they would only be eating up 2.000 in actual salary, which suits their budget.

That's the only reason I suggested anything at all.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad