Would you let Bozak and JVR walk?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
both were good soldiers, but there time here has come to an end. JVR is rightly in line for a "last contract" pay day that'll include too much term, too much money, and a NMC, and some team will give it to him. Bozak will pay on elsewhere too, but I don't see him getting a big payday, but will likely get term in lieu of dollars. Neither should be even considered to be back because of the aforementioned reasons. A shame both are lost for nothing, but brighter minds then mine thought it wise. I hope they're right.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
As things stand today, I'd let them both walk, well maybe try to re-up Bozak at 2m/2yrs. I wouldn't touch JVR's next contract with a ten foot pole. Hopefully, they have a good playoffs and somebody will bite for their rights to get hosed...thinking 5th-7th for each if we'd get lucky.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Let's say there are teams who want to sign either one what are the odds the Leafs could trade their rights prior to them becoming UFA's? It's not the most outrageous thought and we have seen it happened before. Plus I think the chances of that happening would be a lot higher for JVR, if we are lead to believe a lot of teams will want to get into a bidding war for him.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Let's say there are teams who want to sign either one what are the odds the Leafs could trade their rights prior to them becoming UFA's? It's not the most outrageous thought and we have seen it happened before. Plus I think the chances of that happening would be a lot higher for JVR, if we are lead to believe a lot of teams will want to get into a bidding war for him.

i don't think this happens anymore because you have the shopping week between draft and UFA. like you'd have to trade the rights like the moment we win the cup

and then the question begs to ask. how much would you spend on JVR's rights?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
i don't think this happens anymore because you have the shopping week between draft and UFA. like you'd have to trade the rights like the moment we win the cup

and then the question begs to ask. how much would you spend on JVR's rights?
Teams can also make trades during the playoffs if both of them have been eliminated so you don't need to wait until the Cup has been won. For example when the Leafs traded for Jonathan Bernier it happened one day before Game 6 of the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals.

Now I think the last player to get his rights traded was Keith Yandle when the Rangers traded them to the Panthers. In return they got at a conditional 2017 4th round draft pick and a 2016 6th round draft pick. Three days later is when Yandle signed with the Panthers.

Now I'm not sure if that's what JVR's right could be worth and you have to factor in he's a goal scoring forward, where as Yandle is a defenseman.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
"Would you let JVR and Bozak walk?" The arrogance of the statement.

Players are FREE agents, do think the Leafs have control of where they sign? Time to learn about the CBA.

Now if the question is worded, "Should the Leafs aggressively pursue JVR and Bozak in hopes of signing them?" No. There is only so much cap, and these two players are not needed any more at their expected price.

Last edited:

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
"Would you let JVR and Bozak walk?" The arrogance of the statement.

Players are FREE agents, do think the Leafs have control of where they sign? Time to learn about the CBA.

Now if the question is worded, "Should the Leafs aggressively pursue JVR and Bozak in hopes of signing them?" No. There is only so much cap, and these two players are not needed any more at their expected prize.

The ignorance of this statement.

These players are PENDING free agents. The Leafs are the only team they can sign with until July 1st. Time to learn about the CBA.

The question was worded correctly, implying the Leafs can re-sign them before July 1st, or allow their contracts to expire and let them "walk" by become free agents.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You'd be crazy not to re-sign Bozak to a 2-3 year deal around a 3M cap hit if you can. I'm just as frustrated as anyone with his inconsistency but he's still a competent center that adds depth to your team. There isn't much on the free agent market to replace him.

I mean of course if you somehow sign Tavares, then I guess that fixes a lot of center problems.

Thornton, Stastny, Filpulla, Stajan, Plekanec, Letestu, Vermette and Derek Ryan are the top of the class in terms of centers this summer.... yikes.

Reactions: iSophagus

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
You'd be crazy not to re-sign Bozak to a 2-3 year deal around a 3M cap hit if you can. I'm just as frustrated as anyone with his inconsistency but he's still a competent center that adds depth to your team. There isn't much on the free agent market to replace him.

I mean of course if you somehow sign Tavares, then I guess that fixes a lot of center problems.

Thornton, Stastny, Filpulla, Stajan, Plekanec, Letestu, Vermette and Derek Ryan are the top of the class in terms of centers this summer.... yikes.

I agree completely. I mean, realistically, Tavares is not going to sign here. Even if he wanted to, I don't know if the team could afford him at 10 million or more. So where does that leave the Leafs if Bozak walks?

You gotta be careful assuming that a replacement would be any better or cheaper than Bozak. He does a lot for this team.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I agree completely. I mean, realistically, Tavares is not going to sign here. Even if he wanted to, I don't know if the team could afford him at 10 million or more. So where does that leave the Leafs if Bozak walks?

You gotta be careful assuming that a replacement would be any better or cheaper than Bozak. He does a lot for this team.

In addition, he’s not a wild card. His work ethic, off ice habits and circumstances, his attitude in the room, what team mates think of him, his game and limitations, etc are well known to the team.

I would have liked to have recovered an asset for all UFAs but given that isn’t happening and he will hit the UFA market, he needs to be seriously considered.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Scenario: JVR re-signs elsewhere, Bozak re-signs with the Leafs. Do you think this impacts Bozak's game? He's been thrown some pretty good offensive wingers, mostly not known for their defensive play. Without JVR, would his scoring/defensive game go up or down? Would his role change? Zezel was a former 70 point scorer that seemed to fill a niche as a two-way player who could win face-offs, could Bozak?

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I would of traded JVR before deadline. Now, it all depends on how much Bozak and JVR willing to take for new contract.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Scenario: JVR re-signs elsewhere, Bozak re-signs with the Leafs. Do you think this impacts Bozak's game? He's been thrown some pretty good offensive wingers, mostly not known for their defensive play. Without JVR, would his scoring/defensive game go up or down? Would his role change? Zezel was a former 70 point scorer that seemed to fill a niche as a two-way player who could win face-offs, could Bozak?
I think Bozak's game stays pretty much the same without JVR. He's not a big set up (playmaking) guy, so it's not like he's been pulling 40 assists on JVR goals. Give Bozak steady defensive wingers and I think he's fine as 3C.
JVR...Bozak...Brown
Or
Grabner...Bozak...Brown for example.
5 on 5 I don't see much difference.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
JvR is in a contract year and still doesn't give a f*** about defense. Imagine him when he gets his beautiful retirement contract. 6'3 ghost on the ice with some good deflections in front of the net.

Good bye James.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
the 6 days thing means nothing really, as they've always done it hush hush, those UFA contracts for big money and long term have never been decided on an hour's negotiations

holding the players rights is the difference between a 7 and 8 year contract, which makes a player more likely to sign....just because it doesn't happen all the time, doesn't mean there's no value, had the Leafs negotiated Stamko's rights they could have probably could have gotten him signed to 8yrs

Right and there is no comparable at JVRs level that justifies 8 years and so it's moot.

JVR level players get 6x6 that's it. No 8yrs

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
JVR is still useful.
Bozak is past his primes.
Tavares will remain in the Long Island.

JVR is useful now but the decision is, where is he in three or four years? If he loses even half a step will he become less effective at ES where he already isn't great? 6 x 6 is really optimistic. Even with a hometown discount it will be a bit more than that. 7 years? Year after year, wingers are the easiest FA replacement to find, even if you don't believe Johnsson is the one. If it was yes to a year or two thats an easy choice, but he will want a NT. As a guy who's primary value is as a pp finisher you dont commit to that long term. If he is Backes at 28 you are getting a different skill set that the club lacks, but he is JVR. The one thing he does really well isn't that rare.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

He is 32 and working on a 40pt year. Is this the beginning of the decline? He is as likely to be sub 40pts as better. The money is always a concern, but this isn't the type of season that earns a commitment.
3 x 3 max and he still might not earn that, but the money is low enough that even NT he doesn't hurt yoy.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He is 32 and working on a 40pt year. Is this the beginning of the decline? He is as likely to be sub 40pts as better. The money is always a concern, but this isn't the type of season that earns a commitment.
3 x 3 max and he still might not earn that, but the money is low enough that even NT he doesn't hurt yoy.

I don't disagree but this team needs center depth and we can't continue to give up 2nd round picks at the deadline for it. It's time to really commit or find a way to get better players in the roles Babcock wants.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I think Bozak's game stays pretty much the same without JVR. He's not a big set up (playmaking) guy, so it's not like he's been pulling 40 assists on JVR goals. Give Bozak steady defensive wingers and I think he's fine as 3C.
JVR...Bozak...Brown
Or
Grabner...Bozak...Brown for example.
5 on 5 I don't see much difference.
Yup, Bozak is pretty much the same no matter who is on his wings. I'd love to see him stay for the right contract. 3 per would probably be as high as I go. Would he sign off on that? I think he might.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad