Speculation: Would you have given up a similar package for Eichel?

Would you have given up a similar package for Eichel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
That package Sabres got is trash. It only works if Eichel never comes back the same after the surgery; otherwise it's just weak as hell for a potential top 5 C in the league.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Price wouldn't have been the same. They wanted him out of the division. Same with ROR. Asking package from us was way more than they got from St. Louis.

No way they trade Eichel in division without a huge win.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
No

caufield + 1st + Anderson
… and would have to shed more Cap …. Maybe toffoli?

No more winger depth, a weak D corps, and a new 5 year window.

Drouin Eichel Toffoli
Hoffman Suzuki Gally
Lehkonen Dvorak Armia
Pezzetta Evans Belzile

May have lost a little on the wings, but center depth is top 5 in the league and we have 4 balanced lines with Poehling and Ylonen in the wings. D is stautus quo but this trade woundn't change it anyways.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Our closest equivalent to Krebs and Tuch, if you put yourself in the shoes of an NHL GMs (and not how you personally value stuff), is Caufield/Guhle and Dvorak. Buffalo wanted a young center, so at least Dvorak mitigates that since we don't have anything on the level of Krebs' perceived value amongst our C prospects. Anderson is also more expensive AND older than Tuch.

Regarding the pick - we would have needed to trade them the pick that Arizona doesn't get. Both our pick and Carolina's pick hold vastly different values. We could obviously still top-10 protect it, but that means giving up next year's pick if we finish with a top 10 pick this year... And that's much riskier with our team than it is for a team like Vegas, especially considering next year's draft top end.

Then, as stated before, there's the "division tax" that we would need to take into account, since Buffalo definitely didn't want Eichel to stay in the division.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Drouin Eichel Toffoli
Hoffman Suzuki Gally
Lehkonen Dvorak Armia
Pezzetta Evans Belzile

May have lost a little on the wings, but center depth is top 5 in the league and we have 4 balanced lines with Poehling and Ylonen in the wings. D is stautus quo but this trade woundn't change it anyways.
Wouldn’t they have to trim another 4M+ in Cap?
… putting them even thinner at D or wing.

strong center group, but still a bad team with a thin prospect pool.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
That package Sabres got is trash. It only works if Eichel never comes back the same after the surgery; otherwise it's just weak as hell for a potential top 5 C in the league.
The risk involved for both party definitely played in the balance. It simply can't not be considered. Judging this trade in the future as if Vegas got a risk-free deal - even if Eichel does not miss a beat at all in the end - is dumb. It's a surgery never performed before on an NHL player (done in other sports), with just a vague estimation of the recovery time. The most likely outcome is that he's gonna be just fine - but "most likely" is not an insurance. If you put that probability at 75%, then it makes sense for the Sabres to get about ~75% of the value they would expect from a fully healthy (and probably still disgruntled) Eichel who doesn't need surgery.

Reactions: MXD

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
no because this team sucks because they lack PMD's, so adding a 2nd 10M player for long term is not what I would want to see. f***ing rebuild, get rid of f*** nuts Molson, get rid of I'm looking over my options before I re-sign as GM, and bring in someone that has an actual plan on how to develop skilled prospects. Trade Price at some point (going to have to eat some cap imo) as this is the last big money year for Price (13M) and he's already been paid 11M of it, If you trade him in July, he'll be owed 23.5M over 4 years so just under 6M per year in terms of actual money. Granted he would need to come back and play well, and we may have to eat 3M or so off his cap hit.

Granted Eichel Suzuki Dvorak Evans/Poehling would be a really solid core of centers but with a terrible blueline and a unknown Price, I wouldn't have done it.

u mad bro? ;)

(u right tho)

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I mean they gave 1st and 2nd for Dvorak. Wouldn't trade Caufield to be honest but I wonder what Buffalo's interest would have been for KK, Toffoli/Anderson, Poehling, 1st, 2nd

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I mean they gave 1st and 2nd for Dvorak. Wouldn't trade Caufield to be honest but I wonder what Buffalo's interest would have been for KK, Toffoli/Anderson, Poehling, 1st, 2nd
That's way less than what they got, so they would obviously go with the Vegas package.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Yeah I wouldn't do it either. It's too expensive.

Crazy how people are making the equivalent so cheap. Tuch & Krebs + 1st & 2nd is a big package. Tuch is on one of the best contracts in the league plays he's a fantastic young forward.

While a great player, Tuch is a 50-60 point winger, not a 21 year old 1C. He isn’t equivalent to Suzuki.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Kind of concerning how quick people have downgraded Caufield.
I think if anything it should just illuminate how fickle the guys on here are. Most of them blow hot air and this is an example of that.

Caufield went from an untouchable calder 40 goal rookie to put him in the ahl and trade him while he still has value in less than 10 games...

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Jack Eichel said in his interview with Elliotte Friedman that Colorado and Minnesota were the other possible teams so it doesn’t sound like Bergevin was very involved in this.

dkd

May 4, 2012
Canada
no because this team sucks because they lack PMD's, so adding a 2nd 10M player for long term is not what I would want to see. f***ing rebuild, get rid of f*** nuts Molson, get rid of I'm looking over my options before I re-sign as GM, and bring in someone that has an actual plan on how to develop skilled prospects. Trade Price at some point (going to have to eat some cap imo) as this is the last big money year for Price (13M) and he's already been paid 11M of it, If you trade him in July, he'll be owed 23.5M over 4 years so just under 6M per year in terms of actual money. Granted he would need to come back and play well, and we may have to eat 3M or so off his cap hit.

Granted Eichel Suzuki Dvorak Evans/Poehling would be a really solid core of centers but with a terrible blueline and a unknown Price, I wouldn't have done it.

Most people on here don't seem to understand that putting racing tires on a shitty beat-up 1988 Corolla won't make it a race car.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Jack Eichel said in his interview with Elliotte Friedman that Colorado and Minnesota were the other possible teams so it doesn’t sound like Bergevin was very involved in this.
Bergevin loves his prospects so unless Eichel was dirt cheap, he wasnt gonna get him. Colorado probably offered Newhook++ and Minny probably offered Boldy++ whereas MB had to give up Guhle/Caufield ++ and he didnt want to do it.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Honestly I wouldn't touch him. It's too much of a gamble for a guy with bad neck injuries. Look at PK Subban he was never the same after his neck/Spine/Back injuries started in mid 20s. It would be bad enough to give him a contract and risk the cap space, but to give up 2-4 prime assets for the privilege.. Don't like the risk, it's a very big setback if you are stuck with a guy making 10 million who can't play 82 games and lost his phsyical edge, becomes 40-60pt player. That said that's my opinion, I also don't think it's wrong for someone to say he is a top 5 centre if healthy, let's roll the dice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad