Speculation: Would you have given up a similar package for Eichel?

Would you have given up a similar package for Eichel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AyyoCully

Oct 14, 2019
When I seen the Eichel trade today, I was a little bummed. Even though Eichel has an injury history he is an elite player at the top of his game. I’m just wondering if you guys would have done this trade.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Poehling + Anderson + CAR 1st? f*** yeah.

Krebs (1 assist in 13 games) is not very good. He might be an AHL star, but I don’t think he’ll even be a top-6 player. His best comparable in our team is Poehling lol.

That said, I’m sure they would want Suzuki + Caufield + Romanov + 1st from us, because they didn’t want him to stay in our division/conference. This is ROR 2.0. Montreal: 3x 1st round picks+ vs St Louis: crap on a stick.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I don't think the price would have been the same for the Habs.......but I would pay that price any day of the week for a player like Eichel.

Package are all good and great for many but it's all about the best player in the trade and in this trade, Eichel is by far the best player and it's not even close.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Its been said above, the answer is of course yes, it's the peter griffin boat or box argument all over again. But the issue is it's clear the Sabres wanted him in the west and out of the east

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'd be willing to bet whatever offer we made late in the summer was probably better than what Buffalo ended up getting. Having the assets wasn't exactly the issue here.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I wish we had done it.

Dvorak/Anderson + 1st 2022 top 10 protected + Guhle and a 2nd fòr Eichel and a 3rd

Even add another 2nd since this is a little less than what Vegas gave.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Yes?

We have so many assets we could give up that wouldn't affect us. You're getting back Eichel.

I would've given them Caufield +.

Or other players and then throw in Drouin, Paquette, Perreault so that they could create a new "French Connection".

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
Would have been a great time to pick up a young number one center .We would have been in no hurry for him to come back.We are going nowhere this year.A real building block for the future that we have not had here since i can remember.Of course Bargain bin is still here and our clueless owner so it was never going to happen.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
If Buffalo wanted a C, which is more than likely, then we don't have the assets to offer a similar package. Poehling is not comparable to Krebs.

It's unlikely Buffalo would take a similar package from a team in their division, so we would have to offer them a better package.

Acquiring Eichel is not a solution in and of itself. Buffalo had him for years and sucked despite of that. Unless there's a plan and assets to build a new core, especially on defence, adding another $10M player just means guaranteed mediocrity.

Reactions: Eegs

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Guys I would have to give up Carey Price. Not gonna happen.

Back to the gym and then funny suits shopping time.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No, because it would create a problem we don't yet have while not fixing our principal problem.

Reactions: Corson27

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So is Eichel going under the knife right away?

It was reported yesterday when the rumor that Vegas and Flames were the two front runners that both teams agreed to Eichel's preferred surgery.

And that once a deal goes through, he'll be able to get the surgery in a week's time or so.

Reactions: Deebs

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Yes

It's a lot cheaper than what i expected. There are some risks with Eichel (surgery etc) but the Knights did pretty well imho.If i was a Sabre fan i'd be underwhelmed with that return

Reactions: cphabs

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Poehling + Anderson + CAR 1st? f*** yeah.

Krebs (1 assist in 13 games) is not very good. He might be an AHL star, but I don’t think he’ll even be a top-6 player. His best comparable in our team is Poehling lol.

That said, I’m sure they would want Suzuki + Caufield + Romanov + 1st from us, because they didn’t want him to stay in our division/conference. This is ROR 2.0. Montreal: 3x 1st round picks+ vs St Louis: crap on a stick.
Don't think Poelhing would be the guy they'd ask for.

I think it'd be more comparable to say Caufield + Anderson + 1st + 2nd. They might have asked Suzuki + Anderson + 1st + 2nd.

I say yes and don't think twice in both cases, but would prefer the 1st one. Eichel/Suzuki as C on our first two lines would be incredible, with Drouin/Toffoli/Hoffman/Gallagher on the wings, we'd be set for the top 6 for a while

Reactions: Vachon23

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Yes, but Buffalo would have wanted the division tax.

And I feel like Bergevin prefers to have 2 guys like Dvorak and Anderson instead of 1 guy like Eichel.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Sure, but as others have noted Buffalo always wanted to trade Eichel out West:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad