Speculation: Would you have given up a similar package for Eichel?

Would you have given up a similar package for Eichel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
Nope, Eichels an injury prone whiner, he’s not a Top 5C in the league, he might some day put up Top 5 points but he’s just a more talented Drouin.
So much wrong with this post, if you don't wanna give up alot that's fine but Eichel is elite wether you like it or not

Reactions: _habsfan9

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I wanted Eichel really bad but he wasn’t going to be the answer for us. Maybe if we didn’t tie up a bunch of money on the wings and defence, it would had made sense, but while our center depth is poor, our issues are with defence.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Wouldn’t they have to trim another 4M+ in Cap?
… putting them even thinner at D or wing.

strong center group, but still a bad team with a thin prospect pool.
We still have a ton of LTIR space so we'd be able to just like Vegas did.

Still better than what we have now. You win with strong centers, you lose with what we have now.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Well the issue is we don't have a prospect ala Krebs in the system. I would be down to add two of any of our prospects instead though (like, Guhle + Poehling or something)

Habs version:
- a 1st (top 10 protected)
- Josh Anderson
- Guhle
- Poehling
- 2 more conditional picks

Yeah... would suck to lose Guhle, but you get back a REAL #1 C that's ppg and it only costs you Anderson from the roster - who has a terrible contract anyway. Said #1 C is locked for years with Suzuki as #2 and Dvorak as #3. The D is still a huge issue, but at least the offense starts to look legit.

I would have no qualms in trading Suzuki+ for Eichel either btw.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
We surely offered better back in the days when we had KK. KK Guhle Drouin 1st, I wouldve given that.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
MTL has a completely different mindset than Vegas its like this If you have the opportunity to pick where you work, and one job says "Just be prepared to be moved to another department at a moments notice." and the other says "We want you to grow and succeed in the role you're brought in for." which would you pick?
It can work for certain types of players that don't care where they're playing as long as they are, but for the big guns that get a choice? They don't want that looming over their heads the whole time.
Also, they told Fluery he'd be there for good, so they're not even being upfront about it lol

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
The equivalent would be

Cole Caufield
Josh Anderson
1st round pick (from us most likely top 10)
and 3rd round pick

Yup, I love the proposals that have our 1st round pick top ten protected like Eichel isnt a second overall pick, who has franchise centerman written all over him. Here take poehling, anderson and this late first.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
As others have said from our view the cost would have been much higher.

1) Tuch's Buffalo's guy. He loves the city and team and is stoked to play there. They wanted that.

2) Who's our Krebs level prospect? I'm not sure Guhle would have been as interesting to them.

3) It's clear that they were asking way more for teams in the Eastern conference. Freidman said it was many times the cost to get him within the conference in his newest pod.

4) We are cap strapped with Price coming back, so more money would have to be retained or moved back than Vegas, who has time with their injuries to kick the can down the road.

With all these things I feel it would have taken an offer that made Habs fans sick for Buffalo to even consider. Maybe incl. Suzuki or Caufield + unprotected 2022 1st+.

Last edited:

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Well the issue is we don't have a prospect ala Krebs in the system. I would be down to add two of any of our prospects instead though (like, Guhle + Poehling or something)

Habs version:
- a 1st (top 10 protected)
- Josh Anderson
- Guhle
- Poehling
- 2 more conditional picks

Yeah... would suck to lose Guhle, but you get back a REAL #1 C that's ppg and it only costs you Anderson from the roster - who has a terrible contract anyway. Said #1 C is locked for years with Suzuki as #2 and Dvorak as #3. The D is still a huge issue, but at least the offense starts to look legit.

I would have no qualms in trading Suzuki+ for Eichel either btw.

Yeah we do, his name is Caufield unless you’re referring to position

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
When I seen the Eichel trade today, I was a little bummed. Even though Eichel has an injury history he is an elite player at the top of his game. I’m just wondering if you guys would have done this trade.

Our 1st pick (not lottery protected) is so much more valuable than what Vegas gave. I would take the sure thing of Eichel (assuming the medical people tell me he'll be fine after the surgery) over a top 3 draft pick.

We could have added to that asset. 1st (unprotected) + Guhle + Josh Anderson or Dvorak. Eichel-Suzuki is a great 1-2 center line to build on.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yea signing ducharme, burrows, Savard, etc to multi million contracts was his play.

True, but if MB had information Eichel was too much of a medical risk, I can't fault him for that.

Eichel the pre injury center is exactly what we need.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I would do the trade easily.
But the question is why even bother? With that defense and the secondary wingers , who is he gonna feed and what d-man will give him the puck?

If we could have dumped Gallagher and Armia contrat with that trade that would have been an easy risk.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
You need elite talent to win but the Habs are screwed because of existing contracts.
Eichel would have been great as the true #1 center but until you dump dead weight...we are destined for the constant "reset" which is another way of saying "spinning your wheels"!

Reactions: abo9

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Yeah we do, his name is Caufield unless you’re referring to position

fair enough, I forget that Caufield is still a prospect since he played in the playoffs.

i'd be down to trade Caufield + Anderson + 1st for eichel

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
fair enough, I forget that Caufield is still a prospect since he played in the playoffs.

i'd be down to trade Caufield + Anderson + 1st for eichel
That Caufield kid could become elite, I would not dangle him yet.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
That Caufield kid could become elite, I would not dangle him yet.

I'll tale my chances that Eichel > Caufield

I'm not dangling Caufield to obtain, idk, Viktor Olofsson (as good as Olofsson is). Jack Eichel. A #1C, truly elite talent in the league

Ideally I'd love Eicjel to feed Caufield... bjt you gotta give to receive

Reactions: Tyson

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Eichel had long term vertebral problems and delayed surgery because he wanted a specific type. We'll see if he ever gets better.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'll tale my chances that Eichel > Caufield
I'm not dangling Caufield to obtain, idk, Viktor Olofsson (as good as Olofsson is). Jack Eichel. A #1C, truly elite talent in the league
Ideally I'd love Eicjel to feed Caufield... bjt you gotta give to receive

Its a great conversation and arguments can be made for this either way.

JE when he is on is truly elite.

Caufield could become that 40 goal scorer we have coveted as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad