Speculation: Would you give Duchene 8M x 7 years in free agency?

Would you sign Duchene to a 7 year deal with an AAV of 8M?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Biography:

Matt Duchene has represented Canada at three editions of the IIHF World Championship, finishing fifth in 2013 and 2011 after a seventh place finish in 2010.
Duchene had first worn the maple leaf internationally as a member of the gold medal-winning team at the 2008 IIHF World Under-18 Championship. He also won gold with Team Canada at the 2012 Spengler Cup during the NHL lockout.
PERSONAL

Parents Vince and Christine … Has one sister, Jessica … His uncle, Newell Brown, won the Memorial Cup with Cornwall in 1980 and the Stanley Cup, as an assistant coach, with Anaheim in 2007… Wears #9 in honour of Maurice Richard … Favourite NHL team growing up: Montreal Canadiens … Favourite NHL player growing up : Sidney Crosby … Sports idol: Peter Forsberg… Favourite movie: Wedding Crashers… Favourite TV show: Nashville… Enjoys country music, playing guitar and fishing

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Forget about Duchene in Montreal .
His wife will never want to come live here.

Her name his Ashley Grossaint
Now everybody who speaks french just understand why
That name will destroy our chances for sure.
How can we not make jokes about it?

Doesnt mean anything. Mike Babcock is an nhl coach and Jason Dickinson is an nhl player

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Domi-Duchene-Tatar
Drouin-Danault-Gallagher
Lekhonen-Kotkaniemi-Shaw
Weal-Thompson-Armia

Not sure how Duchene stunts the growth of Suzuki, Poehling and Kotka. Suzuki would replace one of the right wingers, Poehling and Kotka will play center while Thompson is temporary and Danault can play wing. Lots of options.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Domi-Duchene-Tatar
Drouin-Danault-Gallagher
Lekhonen-Kotkaniemi-Shaw
Weal-Thompson-Armia

Not sure how Duchene stunts the growth of Suzuki, Poehling and Kotka. Suzuki would replace one of the right wingers, Poehling and Kotka will play center while Thompson is temporary and Danault can play wing. Lots of options.
Good problems to have are what you want. You then use abundance to acquire a need.

If Duchene wants to play here you absolutely sign him

HabsSlappy

Jul 30, 2005
Ontario
I was of the opinion for the longest time, that the answer to Duchene at even $7M is a no..............but, I am sick and tired of not spending our cap space. I say you throw the bank at Karlsson and when he doesn't accept (he won't come to Montreal), you go get Duchene. I am sick and tired of not having dynamic players. Spend the money and get young #1 centre here finally. Make centre ice our strength for once.

Duchene, Domi, Danault, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and Poehling all as options at centre would be a great problem to have.

I still think our weakness is defense, but I don't see much I like on D this offseason (except Karlsson).

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Forget about Duchene in Montreal .
His wife will never want to come live here.

Her name his Ashley Grossaint
Now everybody who speaks french just understand why
That name will destroy our chances for sure.
How can we not make jokes about it?

Seriously? That's why he won't come to Montreal? Because his wife's name sounds like she has a stacked chest?

Or was that a joke?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Seriously? That's why he won't come to Montreal? Because his wife's name sounds like she has a stacked chest?

Or was that a joke?

Of course it was a joke…..he might still come to Montreal for all i know.
But the name is not a joke.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Biography:

Matt Duchene has represented Canada at three editions of the IIHF World Championship, finishing fifth in 2013 and 2011 after a seventh place finish in 2010.
Duchene had first worn the maple leaf internationally as a member of the gold medal-winning team at the 2008 IIHF World Under-18 Championship. He also won gold with Team Canada at the 2012 Spengler Cup during the NHL lockout.
PERSONAL

Parents Vince and Christine … Has one sister, Jessica … His uncle, Newell Brown, won the Memorial Cup with Cornwall in 1980 and the Stanley Cup, as an assistant coach, with Anaheim in 2007… Wears #9 in honour of Maurice Richard … Favourite NHL team growing up: Montreal Canadiens … Favourite NHL player growing up : Sidney Crosby … Sports idol: Peter Forsberg… Favourite movie: Wedding Crashers… Favourite TV show: Nashville… Enjoys country music, playing guitar and fishing

Wasn’t the whole thing that he was a huge avalanche fan? And was dying to play there his whole life?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
From Friedman: What is Columbus going to do with its cap room? We all know who is likely to go. Matt Duchene always keeps his options open. The Predators will have to do some surgery to make it work with him, and Montreal — which made a quiet pitch for him around the deadline — is also expected to make a play. The Blue Jackets went for it this season, and were rewarded with the first playoff victory in franchise history. GM Jarmo Kekalainen isn’t afraid to be aggressive, and the team is about $30M below the projected ceiling. Will they feel the need the weaponize their cap space right away, or take a more patient approach

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
From Friedman: What is Columbus going to do with its cap room? We all know who is likely to go. Matt Duchene always keeps his options open. The Predators will have to do some surgery to make it work with him, and Montreal — which made a quiet pitch for him around the deadline — is also expected to make a play. The Blue Jackets went for it this season, and were rewarded with the first playoff victory in franchise history. GM Jarmo Kekalainen isn’t afraid to be aggressive, and the team is about $30M below the projected ceiling. Will they feel the need the weaponize their cap space right away, or take a more patient approach
Thats what you do to show you have interest in him.....knowing quite well hes goin on the market.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Good problems to have are what you want. You then use abundance to acquire a need.

If Duchene wants to play here you absolutely sign him

Agreed. The probability we can use that $8M of cap space on any other player with his skills is slim to none. Issue is our fan base is going to expect him to lead our team which is a mistake from the get go.

However, I have Domi inquire about Skinner first. If he says he's interested, He is my target. Then I see if Edler wants to play for us for 2 years at a high AAV. If Skinner is not interested, I'm going after Duchene but it needs to be closer to $8M AAV vs $9M AAV. If he wants to play for the Habs, we can front load the contract with bonus money in July but the AAV needs to be team friendly. Lets say 7 years at $7.75M. Then I would move Domi to LW and Duchene at center or vice versa

Skinner / Domi / Shaw
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Drouin / Kotkaniemi / Armia
Lehkonen / Poehling / Byron

Mete / Weber
Edler / Petry
Kulak / Juulsen

Price

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Matt Duchene as a Hab for life for free would be insane.......my fingers are crossed....he fits the bill perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad