HF Habs: Would You Extend Zegras an Offer Sheet?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I don't see any scenario in which the Yotes give up Keller for one of those packages.

I think the PLD saga should put this matter to rest. We won't get a significant piece that's our core's age without giving up a significant return. We can't quantity trade for a piece like that. I mean, we had every advantage in our way to get PLD and it still wasn't enough because there's always another team interested and no player in the league will insist on only one team no matter what (besides maybe Adam Fox lol). Dubois was the closest thing to it we could imagine and he still OK'd Los Angeles and they gave up a big piece in Vilardi + other useful stuff.

Both our 1st round pick and Barron could be worth more than Vilardi depending on where the pick ends up and how much Barron progresses this year

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
If Dach moved up to wing on Suzuki line it does open a door for trade like this though. If you think Zegras is good to play with Newhook and Anderson?

But the costs to get him still be staggering. To me, probably get similar player much cheaper at next draft.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Offer sheets, as it stands............just don't seem to work.
They should change the name of them, to Ego Sheets............because that's all they seem to create, is huge egos for the 2 parties involved.
lol

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I don't even want him , not a fit , if we did not have Suzuki or Caufield then yes I'd be interested
I'm interested but not via offer sheet, and without touching the core we are building up. If my conditions are not realistic, then I pass. But I'd give it a real try first.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I’d love to acquire Zegras. Obviously it depends on the price but he’s very skilled and can turn a game on a dime. We have precisely zero high-end playmakers, he’s absolutely what we need.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I’m not interested in overpaying for Zegras however if you are the Ducks GM wouldn’t you start with Guhle + prospect Hutson + 1st.

I know that looks painful for the Habs but if you’re Anaheim that’s a basic ask…..good young roster player, blue chip prospect & 1st rd pick.

Fortunately I believe HuGo will not gut our rebuild for Zegras.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I don't see any scenario in which the Yotes give up Keller for one of those packages.

1st 2024 , likely around 5th, is in and of itself the majority of the value needed to acquire Keller, and also better than most of what will be available.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
And it's also completely self-defeating to a franchise like the Coyotes. They don't want to start over.

Perpetually rebuilding is what they'll do until they have a new arena and owner.

I’m not interested in overpaying for Zegras however if you are the Ducks GM wouldn’t you start with Guhle + prospect Hutson + 1st.

Why not also ask for Reinbacher, Cauldield, and three 1sts?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Even if they trade Keller, they're not doing it for picks. I guarantee you that.
A lottery pick is qualitatively different from the typical late 1st rounder. It's often a player that is two years away from helping the franchise in a substantial manner.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I’d love to acquire Zegras. Obviously it depends on the price but he’s very skilled and can turn a game on a dime. We have precisely zero high-end playmakers, he’s absolutely what we need.
I would also like to get Zegras. I'm not an expert on him, so others can correct me, but from what I've seen, Suzuki and Dach may become playmakers in the Zegras realm. Still, I would love to get him, if the price is right. I would think players like Slafkovsky or Mailloux would have to be on the table, minimum. But I wouldn't be surprised if not including one of Dach, Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, or Reinbacher was a non-starter for Anaheim.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
A lottery pick is qualitatively different from the typical late 1st rounder. It's often a player that is two years away from helping the franchise in a substantial manner.
Not in my experience as a Habs fan.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I would also like to get Zegras. I'm not an expert on him, so others can correct me, but from what I've seen, Suzuki and Dach may become playmakers in the Zegras realm. Still, I would love to get him, if the price is right. I would think players like Slafkovsky or Mailloux would have to be on the table, minimum. But I wouldn't be surprised if not including one of Dach, Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, or Reinbacher was a non-starter for Anaheim.
Zegras is a high-end skill guy, he has holes in his game but he also has that magic we don’t have and haven’t seen in a long time.

Suzuki has smarts but he’s not a dangler. Dach is a quickly blossoming talent who can do it all if he puts it together. I don’t see why Zegras shouldn’t fit in with them.

If Zegras is traded he will continue to grow and have success and we will add yet another name of a necessary skill player who was available and who the Habs for whatever reason didn’t acquire.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Not in my experience as a Habs fan.

You didn't like Price?

;-)

In practice the value of a 5th overall or whatever is based off of league-wide drafting and development ability, not the product of the Timmins-Therrien magic soup.

Regardless of Slafkovsky's performance last year, I have no doubt that the 1st overall lottery choice was premium trade value.

Reactions: salbutera

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

I know that looks painful for the Habs but if you’re Anaheim that’s a basic ask…..good young roster player, blue chip prospect & 1st rd pick.

Fortunately I believe HuGo will not gut our rebuild for Zegras.
NHL GMs don’t make ridiculous requests or they get blackballed as word gets around the boys club. Verbeek is an old school establishment guy.

Zegras is not McDavid, Zegras has tremendous shortcoming defensively, add to it he’s coming off ELC which will have a negative impact on return value.

The realistic ask will be a young NHL asset of equivalent value. There’s also a pecking order in play, 1st pairing minute eating Dman are the hardest find, followed by two way 80-pts 1C.

I agree Guhle would likely be the ask for Zegras in a 1-for-1 swap

I would pass on that deal..

Side note: it’s blatantly obvious Verbeek’s focus is on making Ana less dipsy doodle w more focus on size, grit and tenacious 2-way game…. basically in the mold of the “little ball of hate” himself

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Zegras is a high-end skill guy, he has holes in his game but he also has that magic we don’t have and haven’t seen in a long time.

Suzuki has smarts but he’s not a dangler. Dach is a quickly blossoming talent who can do it all if he puts it together. I don’t see why Zegras shouldn’t fit in with them.

If Zegras is traded he will continue to grow and have success and we will add yet another name of a necessary skill player who was available and who the Habs for whatever reason didn’t acquire.

I'm the abstract, the Habs would improve by adding Zegras.

But then there would be a cost.

I have no doubt that the Habs have the trade capital to add a good young forward. But they can't be necssarily add two. If they give up Hutson or the 2024 1st, they might need to stop there. So I think it's better to wait for someone like Petersson or Keller.

Reactions: Scintillating10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad