Proposal: Would You Do This Trade?

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Not at all. I just don't think it makes the Rangers a better team. I think the blue line would suffer too much, and I don't think it makes much sense to deal the teams leading scorer unless it's in a deal for a better scorer.

It's probably a no from both sides…

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not at all. I just don't think it makes the Rangers a better team. I think the blue line would suffer too much, and I don't think it makes much sense to deal the teams leading scorer unless it's in a deal for a better scorer.

It's probably a no from both sides…

What would you take for Staal and Zuccarello?

Three prospects like that would be sensational value in my opinion. NYR would have a lot of flexibility to make new trades.

Anaheim would become ever so strong this season, but I really couldn't see why they would trade 3 young players for two soon to be UFAs. Hardly see Staal and/or Zuccarello signing "cheap" deals in Anaheim later.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Not in 1000 years.

Etem has been driving Murray and BlackBerry crazy. Attitude issues and uninspired play.

Vatanen is a disaster half the time. Even though he's young I've seen nothing to indicate that he'll be nothing more than a role player.

DSP is a stud. But I'll keep the guy with star potential in MZA.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I don't think trading Zuccarello is an option. At least, it shouldn't be.

Yeah, Zucc's one of our best three forwards. You don't trade a piece that important while you're trying to contend unless the return is absurd.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Marc Staal & Mats Zucarello

For

Emerson Etem
Sami Vatanen
Devante Smith-Pelly

It was proposed by someone earlier this offseason, i think Dark Sather.

Voted No.

Help me understand the optics of the deal.

Is it Etem and Vatanen for Zuccs?

If that is the case, then Staal is under-valued here.

Is it Vatanen and DSP for Staal?

If that is the case then Zuccs is under valued here.

Is it DSP and Etem for Zuccs?

Then we are again undervaluing Staal.

Anahiem would have to kick in something additional and significant to make this work.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I voted no. I'd move Staal for Vatenen and DSP/1st round pick.

I have a feeling Zucc us going to be very important to this organization going forward. I see him getting locked up long term in the beginning of 2015.

Championship*

If the Rangers were in a position to trade those two players I'd rather do it separately.

Wolfy*

Trade Zucc, are you nuts? No way, he's Sather's little gemstone ;)

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
What's a realistic trade that would involve Staal. I'd prefer to get a top-4 defensive replacement in return with better puck-skills. Just some names off the top of my head that a deal could be based around that I wouldn't mind seeing are TJ Brodie (unlikely, but I think he's going to be a great player), Pysyk, Wiercioch, Brendan Smith, Demers, or Barrie. Arizona had a lot of intriguing defensemen as well.

Thoughts, or any other players that a realistic package could be built around?

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
No way those three can replace Zuccarello and Staal on this team today, value wise it's solid but doesn't make us a better team.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
I said no, although it all depends on what they are asking for as UFA's

This is a big piece of it. In a vacuum with no regard for the cap and with a go for broke in 14-15 mentality than the obvious answer is no.

When you begin to look at what Staal and MZA "could" command on the open market next season and the possibility of one or God forbid both leaving with nothing in return then this is actually a pretty good deal.

The Key is Smith-Pelley. He looked like a future star in the playoffs. If he is really that good then I would make the deal.

Moot point. No way Anaheim makes that deal anyway.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Voted No.

Help me understand the optics of the deal.

Is it Etem and Vatanen for Zuccs?

If that is the case, then Staal is under-valued here.

Is it Vatanen and DSP for Staal?

If that is the case then Zuccs is under valued here.

Is it DSP and Etem for Zuccs?

Then we are again undervaluing Staal.

Anahiem would have to kick in something additional and significant to make this work.

its 3 for 2. its not 1.5 for 1 and 1.5 for another 1.

The point of this trade is pretty obvious. it may not help us this year, but going forward you have some cap flexibility while getting some significant talent back.

Staal & MZA are going to command probably around 10 mil+ combined next season. Rangers still need to lock up Stepan, Hagelin, and re-sign MSL.

They are going to need the cap space going forward. You have a chance to get younger, quicker, and more cap flexible.

I just dont see the Rangers being able to keep both these players, possibly not either of them. To me, Stepan is still more important than either of them, and Hagelin is a tremendous player as well who i dont like the idea of losing. puck possession guy (i dnt have the numbers to back it up) but he seems to control the play.

MZA, while having a tremendous year, and is very talented, is still very small and is 1 big hit from being done.

People proposed trading Petr Prucha after his 30 goal year and were murdered up and down the board. im not saying MZA is the same situation, but it is worth noting sometimes you can trade a guy while his value is high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad