Would the Leafs be doing better right now if Babcock wasn’t the coach?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Boston is just better and more experienced. Leafs have some holes to their game and once they get that fixed will be a very tough team to beat. Babcock isnt the problem.

GTHLDad

Dec 15, 2009
One goalie let in 1 goal on 32 shots, the other let in 3 goals on 21 shots. Unless Babcock is telling Andersen to let in goals, the answer is no

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
No. This is a silly thread. Plus, he's signed for 10 years... so you have to imagine he wouldn't be the one being exiled.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Sure, if I were coach,I would have the team allow fewer goals than Babcock. His strategy of allowing so many goals and scoring fewer goals than Boston. As a better coach I would have only allowed Boston 2 goals in game one, but I would have told the Leafs to score 5. In game 2 I wouldn't have said 7 goals was fine. Instead I would have scored 7 and only allowed 2. The opposite of Babcock's strategy. Game 3 I would have agreed with Babcock. Last night I would have told the defence to tighten up and commit to pinching and score in the clutch to finish off the Bruins in 4. Now Babcock has to find away to win 3 straight while I would have the team rested for TB or NJ.

Last edited:

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
All this hype about age being the issue with the Leafs, Maybe they are just not as good as some people think. I may be wrong on this but I thought I read somewhere that the Bruins are actually a younger team.

Game 2 Bruins had 6 rookies in the line up? and 3 second year players

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I asked this in the Leafs/Bruins series thread, but never got an answer.

What part of the Leafs' turnovers and poor decisions is impacted by the coach? The Leafs gave up two goals last night due to bad pinches and the defenseman playing the 2 on 1 so poorly. How would better coaching fix that? Those are mental errors by the players.

What, from a systems and Xs and Os point of view, is Babcock doing wrong?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Him not challenging the offside goal in game 1 was one of the most puzzling decisions in recent hockey coaching memory

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Didn't he just coach the ancient Toronto Maple Leafs to their best ever regular season? What is this year 3 of a 100 million dollar contract?

Not sure if he's got the horses on defense or in net to beat the Bruins. Maybe Lou should have invested more resources on the backend over grabbing up guys like Plekanec, Martin, and Marleau.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Him not challenging the offside Goodall in game 1 was one of the most puzzling decisions in recent hockey coaching memory
He clearly stated he didn't have the replay angle that everyone else seen and stated he would have challenged had he had correct information. But yeah clearly we should can him based off of one offside non-call decision.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Babcock had Lidstrom to cover for his lack of ability to coach an effective defensive system. He doesn't have anything close to Lidstrom on the Leads, and the Bruins are exposing it.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
I don't think the Leafs would be in a better position without Babcock.

My opinion before the series was that Boston is just a bad match-up for them, which starts with experience and the inability to contain Boston's first line. The Leafs set a franchise record this year for wins did they not? If the regular season didn't matter they wouldn't play it, everything from the season factors in to the playoffs.

The Leafs are close, but not quite there. They're still in the later years of the rebuild where the kids are getting experience and learning what it takes to be pros. Babcock is doing the best he can with what he's got, as it's been said many times before they need to change something with their defense, Andersen is fine (yes he's having a rough playoffs this year), but other than Rielly their defense leaves much to be desired. Watching Gardiner in his own end has been something these playoffs.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If they are finished after just 5 games then he needs to be on the hot seat for sure next season. But with that Oompa Loompa lookin Lou as GM, they won’t care about change. Babs has a job for life with Lou there.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If they are finished after just 5 games then he needs to be on the hot seat for sure next season. But with that Oompa Loompa lookin Lou as GM, they won’t care about change. Babs has a job for life with Lou there.
Yeah, that guy never replaces coaches.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Sorry, this thread is ridiculous. They've gone from last overall to 105 points. No one expected them to be this good, this fast.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yeah but Lou is 76 and might be done after the season. Not exactly comfy having a guy for life when your boss is that old and has no contract next season.
Besides, way too early to be in the "Hot Seat",

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Sorry, this thread is ridiculous. They've gone from last overall to 105 points. No one expected them to be this good, this fast.

I'm not sure if that quick turnaround is because of Babcock, though. Install the same upper management and the same players, with a different coach behind the bench, and I bet the Leafs aren't far off from where they are now. Babcock's name has some clout, no doubt, but I think his being hired in Toronto has overrated him just a touch.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I'm not sure if that quick turnaround is because of Babcock, though. Install the same upper management and the same players, with a different coach behind the bench, and I bet the Leafs aren't far off from where they are now. Babcock's name has some clout, no doubt, but I think his being hired in Toronto has overrated him just a touch.
Overrated him? This guy was viewed as the best in Detroit.
And I am not convinced they are as good. The young players have really played well under him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad