Olympics: Would Kesler make team Canada?

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
My friend and I had an interesting argument over whether or not Kesler would make team Canada, given that he is (arguably) USA's best Center. We both agree that he would make it as a checker on the shutdown line, what does HF think?

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
It would be a mistake not to take him. He can play both center and wing, great skater. Better than Bergeron who seems to be a consensus lock.

Just take him to ensure that the US doesn't lol, 2g in 2 games against.

ghostingtaro

Nov 2, 2013
If Bergeron is a lock for Canada, Kesler has a chance to crack the roster or replace Bergeron.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I think he'd have a chance, honestly. When he doesn't have the responsibility of producing offensively and only has to focus on his defensive game, he is an amazing defensive player. Would be great against other top lines and on the PK.

Willting*

All the Canuck homers come out in force! Bergeron is a proven winner. World Championships and Olympic Gold.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
All the Canuck homers come out in force! Bergeron is a proven winner. World Championships and Olympic Gold.

Olympic Gold differentiates the two? You really think if Kesler and Bergeron switched teams in 2010 that the US would've won?

Anyways, I'd say no. He'd certainly be in the fight along with a similar player in Mike Richards and of course Bergeron but there is simply too much depth to put him on the team IMO. He fits as a role player because he'd be one of the best, but Canada already has a glut of those. I'd rather give a shot to a younger guy like Duchene/Couture who could be a darkhorse scoring line player.

Him and Toews would make two-thirds of a hell of a shutdown line though. If Bergeron would move to the wing to play with those two:

Bergeron-Toews-Kesler :amazed:

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Bergeron played sheltered minutes for Canada in the Olympics, where as Kesler was used as team USA's #1 centre, and changed the momentum of the Gold Medal Game. Using the Olympic Gold Medal for Bergeron is fine, but at least add some context.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Yes. He'd be a fourth line center or winger.

IMO, he's better than Bergeron and Richards and, when he's on, he's one of the best two-way players in the league. I'd go so far as to say that, at his best, he's almost as good as Toews. The guy's a beast.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Kesler doesn't have to play center. He also plays RW.

And, yes, if healthy, Kesler is definitely on the 3rd or 4th line for Team Canada.

That said, why is this posted in the World Junior Championship section? :help:

Mar 26, 2010
As a center, not a chance. Any position, not a chance. Way more skilled players would take his spot.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
As a center, not a chance. Any position, not a chance. Way more skilled players would take his spot.
If guys like M. Richards and Bergeron are on the radar, why wouldn't Kesler be? He's arguably better than both of them. Saying "not a chance" is just pure hyperbole.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If Canada wanted to go with an all shutdown line, then yes, Kesler could make it as a 4th line winger.

I love Kesler, he's probably 70% of the reason I still have season tickets, but Bergeron is such a good player/leader. We like Kesler because he can just take over a game - I don't see that as needed on team Canada, while Bergeron will show up and just fit in.

short answer: Kesler's game changing ability unneeded with a fourth line role.

Willting*

If Canada wanted to go with an all shutdown line, then yes, Kesler could make it as a 4th line winger.

I love Kesler, he's probably 70% of the reason I still have season tickets, but Bergeron is such a good player/leader. We like Kesler because he can just take over a game - I don't see that as needed on team Canada, while Bergeron will show up and just fit in.

short answer: Kesler's game changing ability unneeded with a fourth line role.

Both Kesler and Bergeron are borderline for team Canada. its quite a redundant assessment as we can also throw Carter, Sharp, etc. into the mix.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Absolutely.

He'd be a Winger on Team Canada beyond a shadow of a doubt in my mind. He's (ironically) the prototypical Canadian 'power winger'.

With the added utility of playing a tremendous shutdown role as a center if needed. Also among the best in the NHL as a net-front presence on the PP, which is an underrated skillset when it comes to something like the Olympics. You still need those guys...in a lineup full of guys who run their own PPs from the half-wall, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad