OT: Would employer find out if i sold tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It's a very revealing question.

I hire and fire professional staff, and the first thing I'm looking for in every case is to hire the right kind of person – namely, someone I can trust. That's not negotiable.

If you're hoping to hide something from your employer on a work-related matter then that's not good. If you're wondering if it's okay if you sell or transfer the tickets then there's an easy way to find out – just ask your employer. If that's something you would not even ask, then I don't know what to tell you.

Where I work, honesty is not the best policy – it's the only policy. If I were your boss I might be fine with you selling the tickets to the highest bidder with my permission, but if I found out you were screwing around and trying to hide something behind my back then I would have second thoughts about assigning sensitive work to you or having confidence in explanations you might offer for work not done or things gone wrong. I would need to know that you're always being straight up with me.

That's just the world I live in.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm guessing the employer (season ticket holder) probably knew something like the reduction of capacity to 10% was coming down the pipeline and just wanted to be rid of the headaches and that's why you have the tickets in the first place.

Reactions: Ciao

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
It's a very revealing question.

I hire and fire professional staff, and the first thing I'm looking for in every case is to hire the right kind of person – namely, someone I can trust. That's not negotiable.

If you're hoping to hide something from your employer on a work-related matter than that's not good. If you're wondering if it's okay if you sell or transfer the tickets then there's an easy way to find out – just ask your employer. If that's something you would not even ask, then I don't know what to tell you.

Where I work, honesty is not the best policy – it's the only policy. If I were your boss I might be fine with you selling the tickets to the highest bidder with my permission, but if I found out you were screwing around and trying to hide something behind my back then I would have second thoughts about assigning sensitive work to you or having confidence in explanations you might offer for work not done or things gone wrong. I would need to know that you're always being straight up with me.

That's just the world I live in.

Do you check their grammar too?

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Different if they are corporate or, somewhat personal tickets. If your boss uses them frequently there’s a chance he has personal relationships in the area with other season ticket holders. Took a while for my brother to forgive me when way back at the Gardens university me scalped the pair he gave me and someone nearby told him the two women in the seats were rude and drunk.
Moot now but something to keep in mind,

Reactions: Ciao

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Pay it forward, especially during these times. Let someone enjoy a game (and seats) they otherwise wouldn’t.

Unless you are in dire straits and selling the seats would put food on the table for your family for the next few weeks, don’t do it. You asking alone seems like the guilt would be too much. And I believe karma is real, so…

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
If I was HR I would buy 3 premium seats - next to each other. Give 2 seats to an employee and sit undercover next to them for the game. If they cheer like true fans - promote them in the office. If they sell tickets or act like a corporate suit representative - begin planning how to fire them from work!!'

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Oh what tiny webs we weave, when first we practice to deceive....
So, what did you think of the seats?
Was the guy to the left being obnoxious?

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
1. Tickets got cancelled. I was offered the penguins tickets early December. Then that got cancelled and was offered these.
2. I consider myself a high integrity type of guy
3. I dont make a big fancy living so yes, the idea of making a thousand dollars by selling 2 of 3 three tickets while using the 3rd myself id tempting. I have a wife who isn't earning a full time income at the moment and a 4 year old to support.

People need to be less judgemental and not assume that everyone that gets premium tickets is a corporate stiff that makes 200k.

And no, taking my 4 year old isn't an option as he doesn't yet show any interest in sports, & will drag us out of there after 20 minutes especially with no snacks to distract him with. He turned 4 few months ago. Maybe he needs an other 6 months.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Personally I think you should look deep inside over this. It's irrelevant that your tickets are probably no good now anyway, your first thought was how you could profit. That's a bit of a slap in the face to both your employer and whomever else they could have given these tickets to. Ask yourself honestly if a couple of hundred bucks means so much to you that's you'd d-bag people like that. If so, I think you have bigger issues than whether you're boss finds out.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Personally I think you should look deep inside over this. It's irrelevant that your tickets are probably no good now anyway, your first thought was how you could profit. That's a bit of a slap in the face to both your employer and whomever else they could have given these tickets to. Ask yourself honestly if a couple of hundred bucks means so much to you that's you'd d-bag people like that. If so, I think you have bigger issues than whether you're boss finds out.

Please read my comment above yours and dont edit your post. If you still feel that im a d-bag than you're most likely trying to box me into a profile and narrative that makes you feel better about yourself.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
1. Tickets got cancelled. I was offered the penguins tickets early December. Then that got cancelled and was offered these.
3. I dont make a big fancy living so yes, the idea of making a thousand dollars by selling 2 of 3 three tickets while using the 3rd myself id tempting. I have a wife who isn't earning a full time income at the moment and a 4 year old to support.

People need to be less judgemental and not assume that everyone that gets premium tickets is a corporate stiff that makes 200k.

And no, taking my 4 year old isn't an option as he doesn't yet show any interest in sports, & will drag us out of there after 20 minutes especially with no snacks to distract him with. He turned 4 few months ago. Maybe he needs an other 6 months.

You started thread asking if your employer would find out. Why were you worried? Must be that high integrity coming out in you.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I personally dont think its a big deal, when someone gives you tickets they become yours to do with as you please. If they care so much about what you do with them then they wouldnt have given you the tickets in the first place.

Reactions: Michael HOMERUNing

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I'm not sure those tickets are yours to sell though. The intent is for you to use them with family or friends for personal enjoyment. If you take the tickets knowing your intent is to sell them that is IMO improper use of company assets. Some companies deem taking company property, for the purpose of personal profit, as fraudulent activity and is a dismissible action. I'm not judging you but the action you've proposed. I'd suggest that you take the high road and not sell the tickets.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I personally dont think its a big deal, when someone gives you tickets they become yours to do with as you please. If they care so much about what you do with them then they wouldnt have given you the tickets in the first place.

I give you a company car as a perk of working for my company, does that mean I don't care what you do with the car? there are terms and conditions to every work place perk.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
You started thread asking if your employer would find out. Why were you worried? Must be that high integrity coming out in you.

Integrity is not to profile someone and judge them without really knowing them.

It's not like I propose something that is illegal.

And I even wrote in my comments more than once that I would be keeping one ticket and selling the two so I would be going to the game.

And I would only do so if I was going to get paid the value of these tickets which I'm sure would be much more than a few hundred dollars.

As a sole provider right now yes that money would be very helpful for me. And I would like to think that my employer knowing obviously how much I make, as a sole provider, with a child, would take all this under context.

Yes it would be embarrassing if they found out that I sold two of the tickets and that's why I posted.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Let's say whomever buys the tickets does something brain dead stupid enough to get MLSE to suspend the ticket holder from anymore games, could happen! Then what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad