Worst Starter this Season?

Who is the worst?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Martin Jones had a bad regular season but was fine after the first half of the Vegas series. You wouldn't bet on him bouncing back based on what?
And that last sentence is a horrible take. While having Burns and Karlsson on their defense is great, every once in a while it does lead to a 2-on-1 the other way. The other thing to note is San Jose is among the best possession and shot-attempt teams in the league, which means Jones doesn't get tested as much as other goalies. Martin Jones did not have a good year, but obviously your save % will look bad if the only shots you are facing are breakaways, 2 on 1s, etc.

But he doesn't only face 2 on 1s he looks awful on every shot put on net no matter the difficulty. If he was playing for Ottawa, Chicago, NYR, Anaheim I would understand your point of being hung out to dry because of having awful defence. This is SJ a team with Karlsson and Burns on it, I know Vlasic has a bad regular season but no excuse for Jones numbers. The face he gets paid 5.75 for his inconsistent starts is hilarious for a basically a Jake Allen clone.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Voted for Schneider but didn't Koskinen like oust Talbot?

I am not sure how Cam Talbot or Cory Schneider are not winning this. Koskinen is not good but he was way better than Cam last season and Schneider really does not any explanation.

A lot of these guys should be in the "unknown" territory with such minimal experience so it doesn't feel right to vote for them. Also, with guys like Jones and Varlamov, they've shown to be better goalies a couple seasons ago, and you may be able to chalk it up to a down year.

I went with Schneider because he's been awful for a considerable period of time now.

If Schneider is healthy it's very much not him. He went a very long time playing injured. He played 26 games last year and was clearly still injured and recovering the first 9 games. He went back on the IR from December 14th to February 7th. The last 17 behind a terrible injury depleted team and WC he was really good

First 9 games: .852 SV%, 4.66 GAA
Last 17 games: .921 SV%, 2.46 GAA
6 WC games: .920 SV%, 2.49 GAA

As long as he's healthy he'll be at the very least a good goalie

Last edited:

volcom92886

Feb 23, 2009
So Cal
No Mike Smith so ill go with Martin Jones. I still have no idea why SJ hasn't upgraded from him yet.
I dont think he is as bad as people think he is. When you play in a high tempo offense system and playing d behind Burns and Karlsson goals will be scored. As far as moving on from him, he has a pretty sizable contract one of which would pretty hard to move.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I'm curious how Koskinen is winning this pole, when the guy he took his starting position from is also on the list. Calgary going from a shaky (but great down the stretch) Mike Smith to Talbot is just ugly.

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I don't think Koskinen starts game one. For as inconsistent as Smith is, when he's on, he can still stand on his head for stretches... I think he'll come outta camp with the veteran rep and be given the lion's share of the starts the first month or two.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
A lot of that likely has to do with the fact that he went long stretches without playing in a game.

Maybe but most other backups don't have under .900 seasons and he just had 2 consecutive ones. Also last season his longest stretch was 16 days. That's not short but it's nothing crazy. He is pretty bad

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I think Blackwood will be the starter for devils. If its Schneider then It depends on health, like what comments have mentioned.

For now I'm going Koskinen

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I think Blackwood will be the starter for devils. If its Schneider then It depends on health, like what comments have mentioned.

For now I'm going Koskinen

It should be him. He hasn't entered a season completely healthy in like 3 years

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Like you and many misinformed. Talbot is not the flames starter.
I'm not disagreeing with you...but out of the goalies listed above (others aren't exactly starters either), he is the least likely to succeed.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Surprised there aren't more votes for Anderson, he's looked toast for a couple of seasons now.

If Schneider actually starts he probably shoulda been my pick, but I anticipate Blackwood stealing more games than Nilsson.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
If we are going to include Talbot, why not include the backup goalies for other NHL teams? There's got to be a lot worse goalies out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad