Worst Starter this Season?

Who is the worst?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Why is Markstrom in this? He's coming off a great season in which he was a workhorse.

Gotta believe Jones can be a little better, so to me its between CGY & EDM.

I think CGY's D should help Talbot look better than he was in EDM, so on that premise I'm voting Koskinen.

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
Between Edmonton’s goalie and Columbus but the jackets got better defense so went with Edmonton’s goalie

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Im sorry you might be a new hockey fan but if you've been around since 2016 playoffs you would know that Jones is not awful.

I remember when Jake Allen had a good 2016 playoffs too lol

I wish I was a new hockey fan his -32.70 GSAA regular season was awful my favourite part is watching every shot that go towards him have a chance of going in. Damn just looked at his playoff stats putting -9.45 GSAA is on par with his awful regular season. Like I said maybe he puts up respectable numbers in front of a strong SJ team but not likely. He just needs to play like an league average backup for SJ to have any chance of winning a cup.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I remember when Jake Allen had a good 2016 playoffs too lol

I wish I was a new hockey fan his -32.70 GSAA regular season was awful my favourite part is watching every shot that go towards him have a chance of going in. Damn just looked at his playoff stats putting -9.45 GSAA is on par with his awful regular season. Like I said maybe he puts up respectable numbers in front of a strong SJ team but not likely. He just needs to play like an league average backup for SJ to have any chance of winning a cup.

The three seasons before this one Jones SV % ranged between .912-.918 and a GAA between 2.27-2.55. If the Sharks played with any semblance of a defensive structure last year then Jones would probably have posted a stat line within the same range but was hung out to dry most nights. There is a reason Dell and Jones both regressed severely in the same year. With Boughner back with the sharks I expect Jones to bounce back.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Talbot for me. Koskinen ousted him from Edmonton basically. Also their stats from last season support this view. (All the others in this poll are probably better).

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
The three seasons before this one Jones SV % ranged between .912-.918 and a GAA between 2.27-2.55. If the Sharks played with any semblance of a defensive structure last year then Jones would probably have posted a stat line within the same range but was hung out to dry most nights. There is a reason Dell and Jones both regressed severely in the same year. With Boughner back with the sharks I expect Jones to bounce back.

Maybe my eye test is bad but SJ looked great when I watched them. If there defensive structure was bad it didn't show to me it seemed like they were always in possession of the puck. Watching the line of Meier Couture Hertl was just a thing of beauty in the regular season. Jones was always just shaky he could never decide if he wanted to play in the crease or come out and challenge the angle more.

When I think of teams leaving there goalies hung to dry the first teams to come to mind are Chicago, Ottawa, Anaheim, NYR.

Dell is interesting I really thought he was going to steal the job but even he was awful as well. With a team as strong as SJ there is no excuse for Jones and Dells numbers.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Did people get dropped on their heads? Why is Koskinen winning this? 2 of these guys were on the oilers last year and let me tell ya Koskinen was way way better than the other one.
Voting for Koskinen the contract over the player on this one

Also gotta account for the anti-Oilers bias

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Alot of Oiler and devils fans voting for Craig Anderson like he is the issue in Ottawa. The guy has actually wont multiple playoff rounds. Lol good luck with Koskinen and Schneider this year. Haha.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Have to go with Anderson. Very good goalie in his day, but age, health and circumstances have taken their toll. I doubt Sens fans are concerned -- the worse he does, the higher draft pick they get.

A note about Schneider: He was a top-5 goalie until injuries threw him off his game. He was awful for a couple of years but, as others mentioned, he ended the season looking much better and could have a huge bounce year. If he does, New Jersey will be one of the NHL's biggest stories.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
He is pretty awful I'd argue he is a slightly better Jake Allen. I wouldn't bet on him bouncing back, but with that SJ team any goalie can look good.
Martin Jones had a bad regular season but was fine after the first half of the Vegas series. You wouldn't bet on him bouncing back based on what?
And that last sentence is a horrible take. While having Burns and Karlsson on their defense is great, every once in a while it does lead to a 2-on-1 the other way. The other thing to note is San Jose is among the best possession and shot-attempt teams in the league, which means Jones doesn't get tested as much as other goalies. Martin Jones did not have a good year, but obviously your save % will look bad if the only shots you are facing are breakaways, 2 on 1s, etc.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Korpisalo is a starter now? He's not been very good, must be him then.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
I am not sure how Cam Talbot or Cory Schneider are not winning this. Koskinen is not good but he was way better than Cam last season and Schneider really does not any explanation.

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
I am not sure how Cam Talbot or Cory Schneider are not winning this. Koskinen is not good but he was way better than Cam last season and Schneider really does not any explanation.

Because anyone who pays attention knows that Talbot is the 1b for Calgary, and Rittich is 1a. Kind of dumb to vote Worst Starter for a guy isn't a starter.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
A lot of these guys should be in the "unknown" territory with such minimal experience so it doesn't feel right to vote for them. Also, with guys like Jones and Varlamov, they've shown to be better goalies a couple seasons ago, and you may be able to chalk it up to a down year.

I went with Schneider because he's been awful for a considerable period of time now.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Koskinen has at least been a solid goalie in Europe (KHL + WHC), and had pretty good stretches in the NHL last year. He may not be a great starting goalie in the NHL, but at least he's got experience from bunch of different stages, and he's 6'7" which is an advantage in some situations.

Korpisalo though.. He's been a very meh backup in the NHL, never held star status anywhere and absolutely crapped the bed for Finland in WHC last time he played there (almost 4 GAA in 6 appearances). And perhaps most importantly, he's broken 45 pro hockey game mark ONCE in a season since turning pro. That was the 15-16 season, his first in NA. He had a great stretch run with the Jackets when they were already out of the playoffs and in my opinion he's been riding that ever since.

Im not trying to bash him before the season even starts, it's a huge year for him. But let's be real, his body of work is weak and now he's being relied on to be the starter, much like Koskinen last year. At least Koskinen has that experience already.

Maybe Korpi does serviceable job next year and a guy like Anderson doesn't have it anymore, so im not saying Korpi should "win" this poll in a landslide.. but Korpisalo is not better than Koskinen right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad