Worst Stanley Cup Finals ever??

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
I'm curious how many of these three (if any) you know much about.

1970 - OK, can't argue. Boston outscored St. Louis 20-7 and only the final game that saw Bobby Orr flying through the air was close.
1969 - Yeah, Montreal outscored St. Louis 12-3 and I know John Flyers Fan mentioned it as well .... the Blues had swept both series to get to the Finals though and had held their own vs. the Original Six during the season. Only Game 3 wasn't close, the Habs simply shut down the Blues and scored timely goals. Meh, for the sake of it I'll give it.

1968 - Really? Sure, it was the first year of the expansion teams. Yeah, Montreal swept the Blues in 4 straight. However, the Canadiens didn't steamroll through this series by any means. All four games were decided by a single goal, and 2 of the 4 games went to OT. It wasn't nearly as bad as it looks, and it certainly wasn't as bad as the 1998 Finals.

That doesn't change the fact that for those years, there was no doubt who would win. "We kept it close" is simply a rationalization of failure, and the NHL set those finals up to be failures.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I would suspect that 1968, 69 and 70 would have been among the worst. NHL teams vs AHL teams. Has any league ever stacked the deck for a final like the expansion era NHL did?
I would agree 100%. These were the most anti-climatic finals ever. The cup was won in the original 6 division finals. Imo, those were the finals for those seasons.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I can completely understand you having a problem with those teams being in those markets in the first place, but now that they are there, why resent them for winning the cup? Those players worked their whole lives to achieve that goal, no matter what city they are playing in.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I agree with you 100 percent. i dont like the idea of seeing teams like Anaheim and Carolina win the cup.

I want to see the trophy hoisted on Michigan Avenue in Chicago or in Canada or something classic.

Original 6 teams should start winning those soon.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
I am old school i dont like the new expansion teams. the NHL has teams in markets that they have no business in.

The most old-school team in the league won the cup this year, beating Detroit (one of the least old-school teams) in conference finals.

Forget the locations.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Completely off topic, I remember having this book as a kid:

0688150217.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Gardiner became one of my favourite goalies after reading it, because of that story.

wow, now that brings souvenirs , i had that book too! i was around 7 years old

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
It might be save to say 2007 finals should get some consideration. It was mainly one team dominating the other. I think the whole playoffs that year minus Buffalo/New York series we're just meh.

GNick42

Worse one I ever seen would have been '98, Caps and Wings. The Islanders and North Stars in '81 was pretty bad also though

ILikeItVeryMuch*

Of all the dumb posts I've seen here this is right near the top. A Finals that went 7 games, is one of the worst series ever ???

If your intent was to rip the Devils, at least pick the sweep in 1995.

If you look at the TV ratings for Devils finals in the US since 1995, the three of them rank near the top. If a Canadian team played a tight defensive game Canada would have hailed them them heroes, but since its NJ, you know what happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00