Worst Stanley Cup Finals ever??

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
I see a lot of threads like best finals ever or best game ever, so I thought I'd start this lol. I'd say 2003 Ducks/Devils is up there. Even Devils fans have to agree this was a snooze fest.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I see a lot of threads like best finals ever or best game ever, so I thought I'd start this lol. I'd say 2003 Ducks/Devils is up there. Even Devils fans have to agree this was a snooze fest.

Of all the dumb posts I've seen here this is right near the top. A Finals that went 7 games, is one of the worst series ever ???

If your intent was to rip the Devils, at least pick the sweep in 1995.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yeah, I agree with John. The game was not at a good place at that time, but the 2003 final was actually pretty interesting. The whole Stevens/Kariya subplot helped, and obviously there was drama because it went the distance.

My vote goes to Colorado-Florida in 1996.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
BC
1998 Detroit over Washington 4-0.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
My pick is the Isles sweep over a sub-.500 Canucks in '82 for their third straight Cup.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
1968-69

Montreal sweeps the Blues outscoring them 12-3.

The real final was in the semi's with Montreal beating the Bruins in six games, with 3wins coming in OT.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Of all the dumb posts I've seen here this is right near the top. A Finals that went 7 games, is one of the worst series ever ???

Sadly yes, infact it was probably bad that it went to 7 games since I wanted it to end ASAP.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Sadly yes, infact it was probably bad that it went to 7 games since I wanted it to end ASAP.

More bitterness oozing out of a 40 year old wound. Nobody was holding you down and forcing you to watch it. Maybe JFJ should have paid some mind to it and he could learn a thing or two from the Devils organization on how to put together a Cup contender.

I was at 3 of the games in Jersey and they were all exciting. Kariya's play in Game 6was awe-inspiring. Brodeur made some remarkable saves throughout the series.

The 1998 series between Detroit and Washington was pretty dreary.

Nice way to try and introduce a topic in order to bash a team.

Kesler Kills Kommies

Dec 6, 2004
imo, it gotta be the 2002 final. Everyone knows that the hurricanes would lost to the wings, it ends before it begins, and john, i thought moderators are suppose to lead by example on not to discourage/ insults members from posting. Report and/or ingore please!

LVIsles*

1934 Chicago Blackhawks over Detroit Red Wings

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzz

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
imo, it gotta be the 2002 final. Everyone knows that the hurricanes would lost to the wings, it ends before it begins, and john, i thought moderators are suppose to lead by example on not to discourage/ insults members from posting. Report and/or ingore please!
Sometimes a good shaming is in order.
1934 Chicago Blackhawks over Detroit Red Wings

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzz
Tragic is more like it... The Blackhawks star goalie died 15 days later...

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site

Without a doubt the worst 7 gamer I've seen. But I'd put the Florida and Washington appearances and Carolina's 2002 appearance as the worst finals I've seen.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I`d like to add another vote for Detroit/Washington in `98. Most of the picks so far have mismatches were there was actually a pretty good series in the round before. I think the teams should be reseeded before the final four so there`s still a chance of the two best teams playing in the final.

LVIsles*

Sometimes a good shaming is in order.

Tragic is more like it... The Blackhawks star goalie died 15 days later...

really,,, I just pulled that series out of my ***

How did he die

Last edited by a moderator:

PockIsGoD

Apr 16, 2004
Sherbrooke, QC
2002, the Wings taking the Canes down in 5. The only good moments about that series were the special emotional moments for guys like Luc Robitaille holding the cup, and the last talk between Yzerman and his retiring coach Bowman. Other then that, these 5 games weren't all that exciting

DeathFromAbove

Jul 17, 2006
I actually liked 2003, but I found myself uninterested by Edmonton vs. Carolina last year for some reason.

Yeah the whole Edmonton losing their starting goalie and still rallying back to take the series to 7 was completely boring.

Worst was Wings over Caps.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
really,,, I just pulled that series out of my a$$

How did he die

Chuck Gardiner died of a brain hemorrhage. He actually began suffering from symptoms during the finals. Had a weak game 3 and while he was excellent in game 4, when it went into overtime, he was replaced by the back-up. And it may have been longer than 15 days, but, it was that off-season.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Completely off topic, I remember having this book as a kid:

0688150217.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Gardiner became one of my favourite goalies after reading it, because of that story.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Chuck Gardiner died of a brain hemorrhage. He actually began suffering from symptoms during the finals. Had a weak game 3 and while he was excellent in game 4, when it went into overtime, he was replaced by the back-up. And it may have been longer than 15 days, but, it was that off-season.

Here is a bio from the Legends site:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080...e=Player&page=bio&list=ByCountry&co=SCO#photo

Unfortunately, Gardiner passed away on June 13, 1934, as a result of a brain hemorrhage. His death, just a few weeks after winning the Stanley Cup, was one of the most poignant stories of the NHL's early days. The Wee Scot was considered by his peers to be among the elite netminders of his time. Many in fact referred to him as the finest ever at his craft. A member of Canada's Sports Hall of Fame, Gardiner was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame as a charter member in 1945.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Completely off topic, I remember having this book as a kid:

0688150217.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Gardiner became one of my favourite goalies after reading it, because of that story.

OMG me too!!!! I used to love that book, i had a hard time figuring out what the term 'money goalie' meant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->