Worst NYR rental in the post-lockout era?

Worst rental

• Ryane Clowe

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • Olli Jokinen

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • Eric Staal

Votes: 91 61.9%
  • Bryan McCabe

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Kotalik was in my top five least favorite Rangers ever. My favorite moment was when Torts tried him on a line with Prospal and Gaborik and gave up after one period. The guy was terrible. Couldn't do anything other than shoot on the PP and his shot was lethal but not very accurate.
Oh gosh, he was terrible. Don't get me wrong. He was a one trick pony with that slapshot but when he hit, it was a thing of beauty. Second hardest slapshot I've ever seen live. Zdeno Chara had the hardest I saw live. Al MacInnnis had the hardest period that I remember. Anyway, before I get too off tangent, he was still more redeemable than Jokinen. Jokinen was a f***ing slug here. Didn't skate at all and floated when he was traded here. It was painfully obvious he didn't want to be here.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Eric Staal in 2016, and it's not even close. He did absolutely nothing for us. I often forget that he briefly played for the Rangers--he was that unmemorable for us.

I think Staal checks the box for me if we are focusing on results for sure.

But a huge part of that was how misused he was by AV. AV was just a disaster of a coach.

Reactions: CasusBelli

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Yandle wasn't a rental but to me, remembering him is much more depressing than any of these other names. Eric Staal was a combination of misused and mentally checked out, these other guys weren't very good players. Yandle had huge expectations and he was just a name on our roster for a few years; I'm not entirely sure why

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think Staal checks the box for me if we are focusing on results for sure.

But a huge part of that was how misused he was by AV. AV was just a disaster of a coach.
Yeah but, it is also on JG. Staal was having a poor season. Barely .5 point per game player. He wasn't a difference maker. It was a bad fit all around. Bad trade by the GM, bad usage by the coach, bad results.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
It's Jokinen. That shootout attempt was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. Just the shit-cherry on top of the shit-sundae that was his tenure as a Ranger.

Staal is probably the worst in terms of what we sent back in return, but Jokinen was just really, really bad. He didn't even look like he wanted to be on the team. Which, to be fair, he probably didn't.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I will say this: I don't think we've had one in this era that made the difference yay or nay on going any further than we did.
You say this after Copp, Vatrano and motte played really well for us last year? I doubt we beat Hurricanes without one of these guys, let alone all three.

The entire team got better.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You say this after Copp, Vatrano and motte played really well for us last year? I doubt we beat Hurricanes without one of these guys, let alone all three.

The entire team got better.
Yeah, I'll give you Copp.

I don't think Motte played enough to tilt a series. Every line Vatrano was on in the playoffs got disemboweled at even strength.

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
The first few games of Ryan Clowe (and the others we brought in that deadline) were truly magical stuff. They all immediately contributed right out of the gate in a huge way, especially Clowe. That was a seriously exciting time.

And then Clowe got concussed and it all fell apart quickly. But it was a fun week or so.

Reactions: McRanger92

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Had huge hopes that Stall would provide some much needed experience and leadership to that team that season.

He has to be the worst on this list

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The correct answer is Staal, but I’ll always have “and the season comes down to Olli Jokinen” in my head and start laughing.
LOL

At least Olli gave us all of the memes, which made the trade a complete success for me.

jokbed.gif
n5j88k.jpg.gif
9zso3q.jpg.gif
finala.gif

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

While such a shitty attempt (although probably not as bad as fans remember), Lundqvist should have gotten the 5-hole one.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I was always conflicted on Vatrano. Still am.

On the one hand, he really does pass my eye test, scores nice goals, and looks involved.

But man alive, do bad things happen to that man's team when he's on the ice.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
NYR have had a long list of deadline acquisitions over the years, some of whom have lived up to expectations (Sykora, Antropov, Copp, Vatrano), but most of whom have been a disaster.

Considering cost of acquisition, expected performance versus outcome, and playoff results, who do we choose as the absolute most disappointing rental?
great thread!

EStaal, off top of my head INEC.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Just got transported back in time from this.

It seems so weird if you ever had to tell a new poster that there was a time where HF was just captivated by all things Olli Jokinen.

The playoff photoshop threads back then were hit and miss but when they hit it was golden

Reactions: Bob Richards

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I look at this from the price to output ratio
Jokinen is a hard no for me. Sure he botched that season ending shootout but who the hell put him on the ice? Plus we dumped Kotalik and Higgins for him AND magically nabbed Prust who was a great Ranger. That trade was a win in so many ways regardless of Jokinen's performance.
Ryan Clowe is a no too. He played decently and got injured. The cost was not great but those draft picks weren't missed.
McCabe felt very meh. I wasn't expecting too much from him.
Staal - what we gave up was also not really missed but he was probably the most disappoint with regards to what he provided. But again, the coach did not deploy him super well.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Jokinen started well as a Ranger and then the wheels feel off real fast. By the time we got to that Flyers game he was down to around 11-12 minutes a night.
In fact (because I've just looked it up) he was 4th last in TOI for the game, with only Voros, Boyle and Parenteau beneath him. Shelley, who scored the only goal, played 2.5 more mins than him!
God knows why Torts even chose him for the shootout. Christensen, Parenteau and Jokinen seem like a pretty shit 3 choices.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Just got transported back in time from this.

It seems so weird if you ever had to tell a new poster that there was a time where HF was just captivated by all things Olli Jokinen.
Some of those days we didnt even talk about Rangers hockey, we were just in the Olli thread making memes. Completely enthralled in it.

I distinctly remember laughing so hard when someone posted the Micheal Phelps one. Literally internet gold. Whoever made that one made my week

markymarc1215

Jan 8, 2023
Southwest Florida
Jokinen has to be up there. That 09-10 roster isnt all that far off from a roster you would see from the Dark Ages. Enver Lisin! My God. Erik Christensen a 1st line center. Donald Brashear!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad