Worst NYR rental in the post-lockout era?

Worst rental

• Ryane Clowe

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • Olli Jokinen

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • Eric Staal

Votes: 91 61.9%
  • Bryan McCabe

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lua

Nov 10, 2010
Troy
Definitely Jokinen.

We didn't even make the playoffs that year. We didn't even make the playoffs that year because in the last game of the season against the Flyers, with the season on his stick in our final shootout attempt, Jokinen attempted the lamest, limp-dick hotdog water backhander ever to be seen, for an easy save.

Absolute joker.

Last edited:

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
Thanks for triggering my PTSD. That list. <barf>

Jokinen. Didn't he muff a shootout try in the last game of the season and we didn't even make the playoffs? Plus, ugliest Ranger I can remember.

I always thought Jokinen looked like a baby except in an adult body

Reactions: bogans

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Jokinen sucked but they literally gave up negative value players in Kotalik and Higgins to get him AND got Prust to boot. I will always consider that a good deal.

Staal may have been misused but he was already having a bad season and looked terrible with us in any capacity. And to get him they gave up a promising prospect and two seconds.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Went with Jokinen on his WOAT shootout attempt alone.

People are too hard on Eric Staal. AV miscast him and the team wasn't going anywhere anyway.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I will say this: I don't think we've had one in this era that made the difference yay or nay on going any further than we did.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Went with Jokinen on his WOAT shootout attempt alone.

People are too hard on Eric Staal. AV miscast him and the team wasn't going anywhere anyway.

You're not changing my mind from Staal being the WOAT. Forget the AV miscasting, he was NY miscast. He just looked out of sorts existing in NYC.

Reactions: Hi ImHFNYR

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
Staal - then daylight to the next donkey.

20 games for 6 points and then feck all in a 5 game loss to the Pongos (still irks me).

Played out of position, sure, but the cost to us for the return makes him easily “the worst”.

Reactions: will1066

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Yandle was pretty disappointing. he was a player that I always wanted the Rangers to get and when they finally did I was so pumped. but he was also not really used correctly either and was maybe past his best days too.
Its the same issue as with Staal, the coaching staff didn't use them properly.

mti79

May 11, 2007
I know we gave up a lot to get Staal but I had to go Olli.... man, that guy just irked me. I feel like he did absolutely nothing here and the only memory I have of him is that ridiculous shootout attempt when he was supposed to be close to automatic in that situation. F* that guy.... thanks for bringing back these awful memories.

mti79

May 11, 2007
Kotalik was a better Ranger than Jokinen. Come at me.
I was excited when we got Ales if only because my friend's wife loved him on the Sabres and now we stole her guy.... I'm petty like that. Ha ha ha.

Also, I used to live up there so I know plenty of Sabres fans.... Hate that team though.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I was excited when we got Ales if only because my friend's wife loved him on the Sabres and now we stole her guy.... I'm petty like that. Ha ha ha.

Also, I used to live up there so I know plenty of Sabres fans.... Hate that team though.
All I recall of kotalik was Sam and Co. hyping up his shot from the power play point endlessly.

Last edited:

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Staal was so frustrating because while expensive it made 100% sense at the time.

He flopped massively here.

Then found the fountain of youth, signed the kind of bargain contract which the NYR never have, and had 3 very productive seasons with MN including a 40 goal year.
We may have won a Cup if we had the Staal who showed up in Minnesota. What a waste.

Reactions: bernmeister

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Look what Staal did the two seasons after his short stint with the Rangers. Look at what he did before his short stint with the Rangers.

He was still a very good player. Vigneault was an idiot.

Vigneault and Gallant should tandem coach Canada so USA can win.

Reactions: McRanger92

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That stupid f***ing shootout will forever haunt me. The 2009-10 roster is nauseating to look at and saw so much stupidity that led to this franchise making such horrible decisions.

This might be another hot take, but I didn’t hate Chris Higgins. I thought he had absurdly bad shooting luck that threw off his confidence the rest of that year. He went on to have a few more productive seasons after that.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Kotalik was a better Ranger than Jokinen. Come at me.

Kotalik was in my top five least favorite Rangers ever. My favorite moment was when Torts tried him on a line with Prospal and Gaborik and gave up after one period. The guy was terrible. Couldn't do anything other than shoot on the PP and his shot was lethal but not very accurate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad