Worst NYR rental in the post-lockout era?

Worst rental

• Ryane Clowe

Votes: 18 12.2%
  • Olli Jokinen

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • Eric Staal

Votes: 91 61.9%
  • Bryan McCabe

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Eric Staal by a mile. That was in the middle of a legitimate cup window and AV used him so poorly that the league thought he was washed, and then he proceeded to score 40 for Minny on a discount contract the next year.

Ryane Clowe's Ranger tenure was such a disappointment due to the concussions. He was the exact type of top 6 physical forward who could score that the team always needed. 8 pts in 12 games including a goal in his debut in that wild game against Pittsburgh, then the concussion in the playoffs basically ended his career. The Devils didnt get the memo and signed him to a massive contract to replace Clarkson. Whoops!
He also had Yandle on PP2 when he was clearly acquired to run the PP. AV stuck with Boyle for so long. AV truly was special.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
He also had Yandle on PP2 when he was clearly acquired to run the PP. AV stuck with Boyle for so long. AV truly was special.

Dan Boyle was another Sather/Brooksie special. Completely cooked and they lost Stralman for him just to trade for Yandle later. The only positive i can remember of him was scoring a last second goal in Tamp to tie during the ECF in 15. Then Kucherov sniped one past Hank early in OT for a wild 6-5 loss.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Look what Staal did the two seasons after his short stint with the Rangers. Look at what he did before his short stint with the Rangers.

He was still a very good player. Vigneault was an idiot.

Vigneault and Gallant should tandem coach Canada so USA can win.
Wasn't that entire szn of his before the rangers awful tho? I know u meant previous seasons but it seemed like something that shouldn't be ignored

You say this after Copp, Vatrano and motte played really well for us last year? I doubt we beat Hurricanes without one of these guys, let alone all three.

The entire team got better.
Thank God we got rid of every s8ngle one of them. What'd we want, success? (Yes I know the cap exists, my unspoken point is how we suck at managing it)

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
It isn't Staal. He could've been used better and maybe re-signed. Still had seasons left. Jokinen and McCabe were both cheap. The real answer is Clowe- three picks and he was objectively worthless.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
And that was after he got relentlessly boo’ed in Game 3 and healthy scratched for the clinching Game 4.

Poor guy, he was a flop here
Tough stretch for the man. He had a good showing in the Torino Olympics before getting traded to us at the deadline at least.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
He wasn’t the worst, but man oh man Sather giving up a 2nd, 3rd, and 5th for a Ryane Clowe who had 0 goals on the season was something else at the time.

That game against the Penguins where he, Brass, and John Moore all scored was incredible though.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Staal for sure. Can't fault him all that much though considering an off-season and a move to Minnesota brought him back to near PPG performance. Just AV being an absolute muppet.

markymarc1215

Jan 8, 2023
Southwest Florida
On paper, Ozolinsh should have been the perfect pickup for us. We needed offense from the blueline desperately and he was one of the best in the biz for a decade on the PP. He had 14 points in 19 regular season games with us and was +2. Translated to a 60 point pace.

But yeah, the DUI, the goal in his own net, and suddenly becoming the defensive version of late 90s Paul Coffey was his undoing. He went on to put together an atrocious 06-07 season with a 21GP 0-3-3 and -8 statline. Ended up being replaced in the lineup by Thomas Pock and that was the end of Sandis Ozolinsh.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad