Worst NYR Captain from 1991 on..?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Leetch. It's not close, either.

The fact that people are voting for Drury over Leetch shows the age of the board, I'd say.

I'm going to agree.

Funny this is all the guys I normally agree with voted Jagr or Drury.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Gotta be Leetch in terms of leadership. Just didn't have the stuff to wear the C.

Never got the Drury hate and never will. Not his fault Slats signed him to a nonsense contract. The guy never took a shift off and was always around the front of the net getting abused. He wasn't vocal with the media, but my impression was that he was a potent force in the locker room. He taught a lot of young guys how to be a pro.

I think the Dubi stuff in this thread is hilarious. I and a couple of others got lambasted around here when we wanted to keep Dubi over Cally and give him the C. One bad year and a short holdout really clouded people's vision.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I think a lot of voters just don't remember how godawful Leetch was as captain. It weighed heavily on him, and he never wanted it in the first place.

Drury may not have been the best captain ever, but he was lightyears beyond Leetch.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think a lot of voters just don't remember how godawful Leetch was as captain. It weighed heavily on him, and he never wanted it in the first place.

Drury may not have been the best captain ever, but he was lightyears beyond Leetch.

A lot of us recognize that everything about that period was bad and Leetch might have been good in a different situation.

I wonder how many captains are looked back on as good during a period where their team was bad.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
A lot of us recognize that everything about that period was bad and Leetch might have been good in a different situation.

I wonder how many captains are looked back on as good during a period where their team was bad.

Agreed. Leetch and McDonagh are very similar in how they carry themselves. McDonagh just captained a team to game 7 of the ECF. Probably had a lot to do with the other 20 guys on the roster and not what a good captain he was.

BarbaraAlphanse

Agreed. Leetch and McDonagh are very similar in how they carry themselves. McDonagh just captained a team to game 7 of the ECF. Probably had a lot to do with the other 20 guys on the roster and not what a good captain he was.

McDonagh had a really poor first year, imo, as a captain.

BarbaraAlphanse

I think he had a poor year as a player compared to 13-14, none of us have any idea how good of a captain he actually is.

There were moments where I thought he should have been vocal and either supported some team mates or focused some of the guys. And he remained quiet.

Rangers had gsmes where their effort was unacceptable. That's when you say "we played like **** top to bottom and it's an unacceptable effort that we as a team will change." Instead he kept up with the "part of the process" narrative. Captain no emotion isn't gonna help this team - the team that plays with no passion every playoff loss they have.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
There were moments where I thought he should have been vocal and either supported some team mates or focused some of the guys. And he remained quiet.

Rangers had gsmes where their effort was unacceptable. That's when you say "we played like **** top to bottom and it's an unacceptable effort that we as a team will change." Instead he kept up with the "part of the process" narrative. Captain no emotion isn't gonna help this team - the team that plays with no passion every playoff loss they have.

Who is to say he doesn't do that behind closed doors? I appreciate he doesn't act like a fool in front of the media.

BarbaraAlphanse

Who is to say he doesn't do that behind closed doors? I appreciate he doesn't act like a fool in front of the media.

The possibility is present. But he seems like an earnest guy to the media. And players always talk about his calm demeanor and patience. I think what you see is what you get. Certainly no one has suggested he acts otherwise and several players have mentioned he acts in a similar way with them as with what he says to he media.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Drury because he didn't get mad enough or score enough points to justify his contract. :sarcasm:

For me, it's Jagr. I just always got the impression that it was about him, not the team.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Leetch. It's not close, either.

The fact that people are voting for Drury over Leetch shows the age of the board, I'd say.

People have different definitions of a captain and what they should do?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
No defenseman had a worse goal differential during the span of Leetch's captaincy.

-59 during that 208 game span. Graves right behind -56

Wasn't even top 10 in scoring for defenseman over that time, #14.

Those Ranger teams were bad but so was Leetch for a portion of those years.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
No defenseman had a worse goal differential during the span of Leetch's captaincy.

-59 during that 208 game span. Graves right behind -56

Wasn't even top 10 in scoring for defenseman over that time, #14.

Those Ranger teams were bad but so was Leetch for a portion of those years.

It was a tsunami of bad things for Leetch the moment he got the captaincy. The Rangers were terrible from 98-04, but those late 90's teams take the cake in terms of being awful.

Also, didn't Leetch get hurt in 97-98 very early into his captaincy? Seem to remember him taking a shot off the arm.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
People have different definitions of a captain and what they should do?

Nope. There's literally no debate here. Leetch all but admitted he was a bad captain, even. Saying Leetch wasn't the worst post-Messier means you didn't watch those teams or were to young to see how poor of a leader he was. Not only did he do nothing leadership wise, but his game itself crumbled under the pressure.

It's not a shot at Leetch since he was an amazing player. He just was not a captain.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm going to agree.

Funny this is all the guys I normally agree with voted Jagr or Drury.

I maintain its an age thing. People not voting for Leetch likely weren't big time fans back then or were too young to really see his faults.

I love the guy. Will always love him. But he was just a dreadful captain.

With that said, it doesn't tarnish him to me at all. Not everyone is cut out to be it.

I'm sure Leetch would say as much if he were asked. Leetch all the way here.

Yep. I agree with Darko's Callahan comment, too. Everyone knows my feelings on Callahan and the fact that Leetch may be my favorite Ranger of all time (this is a close one). But Callahan was an exponentially better captain than Leetch. It's not close. I agree completely that Leetch would agree.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Nope. There's literally no debate here. Leetch all but admitted he was a bad captain, even. Saying Leetch wasn't the worst post-Messier means you didn't watch those teams or were to young to see how poor of a leader he was. Not only did he do nothing leadership wise, but his game itself crumbled under the pressure.

It's not a shot at Leetch since he was an amazing player. He just was not a captain.

Yeah. I did watch during that era, and was old enough, and I don't agree with you. So enough with the "my opinion is fact" BS.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad