Worst NYR Captain from 1991 on..?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Can't believe someone voted for Jagr. He was about the most perfect captain you could have asked for. Brought it on the ice every game and was one of the better speakers in the locker room. Usually you get one or the other, he was able to do both.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Callahan was not a bad Captain. He inspired the rest of the team at times. None of us know what the inside of the locker room is actually like.

Drury, as much as I hated the "Won't let it ruin my..." comment, wasn't a bad Capt. either.

Jagr seemed pretty good at keeping things light when they needed to be, leading by example on the ice and being great with the media.

Messier was one of the best all-time, 2nd stint was bad for him on ice and for the team but not necessarily because of his poor Captaining.

I voted Leetch because the Captaincy just didn't seem to agree with him.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Drury is easily the worst IMO. When that contract was signed, there were expectations of him being a significant piece to propel the Rangers as a contending team. If a player doesn't play anywhere near expectations throughout their entire stint, how can they be a good leader?

In 2009-10 Gaborik, Dubinsky and Lundqvist 'led' the team. In 2010-11, Callahan was pretty much every thing you would want from a captain besides having the C on his jersey. Drury never let the play on the ice do the talking, at least in his NYR stint.

“That could be the point that gets us home-ice advantage,” Drury said. “I’m certainly not going to let it ruin my Christmas and I don’t think anyone here is going to let it ruin their break, either.

-Drury 2008

Last edited:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Can't believe someone voted for Jagr. He was about the most perfect captain you could have asked for. Brought it on the ice every game and was one of the better speakers in the locker room. Usually you get one or the other, he was able to do both.

Eh, he was really really good here, but Jagr always struck me as a guy with an independent streak. Not really the all for one and one for all rah-rah type.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
On this list you had two players that didn't want the captaincy in Jagr and Leetch, except one did a pretty good and the other never liked the spotlight.

Leetch got the C because Gretzky didn't want it.

Drury was probably the most nondescript captain you can imagine. You have to thank Tortorella for being the leader in that room, and once Drury was hurt and out of it, you had a team that really built it's own identity.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I was skeptical about Jagr when we first got him. Didn't really like the way he wanted out of Washington. But he was a dream as far as a player for us and he deserved the captaincy. He took Dubinsky under his wing and helped turn him into a big asset for us. He started the saluting the fans thing after home wins which built a rapport between the fans and the team. The Rangers were the first team to do that--now everyone does it. He was excellent with the media. He led the team not only off the ice but on the ice. He played like he was happy to be here and his team followed him. When you think of all the playoff-less years we went through and then he showed up ready to lead on and off the ice and take the heat off the kids--and now finally we're a playoff team again----I don't really get the vote against him. To me he was just wonderful.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
On this list you had two players that didn't want the captaincy in Jagr and Leetch, except one did a pretty good and the other never liked the spotlight.

Leetch got the C because Gretzky didn't want it.

Drury was probably the most nondescript captain you can imagine. You have to thank Tortorella for being the leader in that room, and once Drury was hurt and out of it, you had a team that really built it's own identity.

Drury's criticism was double sided. He began breaking down physically and wasn't the same player anymore, and he wasn't going to be a guy that rained fire and brimstone down on the team. The latter, especially, is often mistaken for a necessary element of a good captain.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Drury's criticism was double sided. He began breaking down physically and wasn't the same player anymore, and he wasn't going to be a guy that rained fire and brimstone down on the team. The latter, especially, is often mistaken for a necessary element of a good captain.

There are definitely different forms of leadership, so I'm not attributing that as Drury's downfall, the teams that he was leading were lead by Hank... those were the years where Henrik carried the team to the playoffs one season, and missed on a shootout the next.

Drury always struck me as the last player on those Sather retirement contracts that played for the Rangers except he wasn't vilified like the others.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Leetch. It's not close, either.

The fact that people are voting for Drury over Leetch shows the age of the board, I'd say.

It shows people cannot distinguish being a bad captain from being poor on the ice. And even then, Drury wasn't that bad. It was mainly his contract which made it horrible.

Drury was a great captain and an okay player on a horrible contract.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
There are definitely different forms of leadership, so I'm not attributing that as Drury's downfall, the teams that he was leading were lead by Hank... those were the years where Henrik carried the team to the playoffs one season, and missed on a shootout the next.

Drury always struck me as the last player on those Sather retirement contracts that played for the Rangers except he wasn't vilified like the others.

How so? The guy's body broke down. I never got the feeling that he was ever mailing it in.

The contract was absolutely horrendous. Drury didn't give it to himself.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I was skeptical about Jagr when we first got him. Didn't really like the way he wanted out of Washington. But he was a dream as far as a player for us and he deserved the captaincy. He took Dubinsky under his wing and helped turn him into a big asset for us. He started the saluting the fans thing after home wins which built a rapport between the fans and the team. The Rangers were the first team to do that--now everyone does it. He was excellent with the media. He led the team not only off the ice but on the ice. He played like he was happy to be here and his team followed him. When you think of all the playoff-less years we went through and then he showed up ready to lead on and off the ice and take the heat off the kids--and now finally we're a playoff team again----I don't really get the vote against him. To me he was just wonderful.

Yeah I gotta be honest, Jagr could score the cup winning goal against the Rangers and I could still never dislike him.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
I didn't vote for any of them.

There are many ways to show leadership and be a leader, from the strong silent type to the highly emotional type.

There is no way for us to really evaluate a major part of the job: the off ice stuff. How do we evaluate the intermediary role that captains play between coaches and management and players? Do players trust their captain when they have an off ice, non-hockey issue that make impact their play and need to talk to someone? What attitude does the captain take after a difficult loss and the team has to immediately get on the plane and fly across the country? What example does the captain show when the team drags into a hotel at 4 in the morning? How does the captain show leadership when he is hurt or dragging put the coach is putting the team through a hard workout? And so many other things that we don't see. We only see how a captain acts during the game or during a post game interview. The big part of his job may be the next day on the plane, in the hotel, at the team meal. I don't feel we can adequately evaluate that aspect of his job.

A few things: a don't understand how anyone can knock Cally's leadership up until the contract situation prejudiced our view of him. Tawnos was right, how many times did he tear onto the ice, throw a big check, and try to influence a game emotionally? More times than I can count, that's for sure. Few had issues with him until the end.

I also agree about Dubinsky. As much as I liked Cally, I would have given it to Duby. I think that level of trust would have pushed his game to another level.

As with Cally, many of you are letting Drury's contract situation cloud your view of him as a captain. Certainly, the strong silent type but there is no doubt that he was incredibly respected by his peers. If Messier was one type of leader, Drury was the opposite. I think his leadership was likely behind the scenes and likely successful.

Don't know what to say about Leetch. It's hard to be considered a good captain when your teams are so bad. I have no sense of how he was off the ice accept to say he has always struck me as one of the brightest hockey minds I have ever listened to.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Leetch and Messier were really close. Messier called the team's bluff one too many times on a contract negotiation and the Rangers went another way and Mark wound up in Vancouver. It seemed that to Leetch Messier was the team's leader and he was taking his captaincy--something that didn't belong to him. He got it pretty much by default. When Messier returned Leetch very happily returned the C.

Brian never wanted it--that is pretty much 99% sure. He strikes me in any case as a shy guy. But to get it because his buddy got forced out of town--that made it so much worse. On the ice he was still the best player--the guy the rest of the team looked to when the team was down and the guy the other team knew they had to stop.

Drury might have been good in the locker room. I never ever got the idea he was leading us on the ice.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
How so? The guy's body broke down. I never got the feeling that he was ever mailing it in.

The contract was absolutely horrendous. Drury didn't give it to himself.

Of course it was a bad contract for the team but a great one for Drury. My feeling on it was that he played through it to get through it, and wasn't that guy that would do anything to win.

The take on it is this, he said all the right things and did his job and went home.

He was completely forgotten his last year out, the team didn't miss him, they played better without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad