Worst calls and/or non-calls in recent memory against the Rangers?

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Some videos of what was already mentioned.

Hagelin's "charge":

Drury high stick (at the beginning of the video):

truebluegoalie

Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
That Drury high stick still gets me. The worst part about that call was then Drury got called for 4 minutes for high sticking at the end of the game for something that was just a scratch.
Unbelievable. Four officials on the ice and no one saw where all that blood came from.

[URL=http://s11.photobucket.com/user/stumpyjeeper/media/Drury-1.jpg.html][/URL]

"The pivotal moment of that period may have been when New York's Chris Drury was unintentionally clipped and bloodied by Penguins forward Ryan Malone's stick in front of the Pittsburgh net only 92 seconds into the period. Both benches seemed to expect a 4-minute high-sticking penalty - play was stopped briefly to clean up the blood - but there was no call.

There was one when Drury drew a high-sticking double minor, against Malone no less, in the final two minutes of regulation. The Rangers killed off a power play that carried over into the overtime, but the Penguins used the momentum they regained by constantly pressing with the man advantage to get Hossa's game-winner a few minutes later."

http://penguins.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2007030225
That still pisses me off

The callahan/crosby play pissed me off too.
hmmm sensing a pattern here.

Last edited:

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
The worst non-call in Rangers History happened on February 25 1979. At least the most famous non-call:rant:

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
The three that come to mind off the top of my head (you guys already talked about two):

1) Drury getting high-sticked in game 5 against PIT in 08.
2) Anisimov's disallowed goal against NJ
3) Chris Neil's allowed goal at the end of game 6 in 2012. This one takes the cake for me. I was irate beyond belief.

This is the one that I thought of right away. I remember Lundqvist's post game interview. He said something like "someone wanted to keep them in the game."

Best angle showing it was kicked is at 3:50.

Green Blob*

The high stick is just a missed called, I dont really mind that, it sucks but it happens.

The charge was just a brutal call though.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
This is the one that I thought of right away. I remember Lundqvist's post game interview. He said something like "someone wanted to keep them in the game."

Best angle showing it was kicked is at 3:50.

Lundqvist's reaction right after the final whistle, where he was yelling at the referee, was my lasting memory from that moment. And my reaction was very similar to his.

Yes, Neil didn't get all of the puck, so I can understand the confusion and the eagerness to say he didn't kick it in if you only look at it from one camera angle. Just like Bob Cole did on HNIC, he was adamant that it was a good goal, no question about it.

But if you look at all the angles...THERE IS LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE THAT COULD HAVE CAUSED THE PUCK TO MOVE IN THE DIRECTION THAT IT DID. I don't understand how they allowed it to stand. Absolutely absurd.

And that call could have theoretically ended our season early, if OTT scores again in the final minute to tie it and send the game to OT.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Also, I had to really dig deep through some painful suppressed memories, but what about the tacky hooking call on Blair Betts in OT of game 5 in 2007 against Buffalo? The game where Drury tied it with 7.7 seconds left...Afinogenov wins it in OT on the PP, because Betts was in the box on a very weak hook.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Straka's goal being disallowed in Game 5 against Buffalo. The Rangers would have been up 2-0 in the game, with less than 5 minutes left to, with a chance to go up 3-2 in the series, and finish the series at MSG for a trip to the Eastern Conference Finals.

Was it Rachunek stopping with the puck going off his skate? I remember earlier in the game a sabre forward punched the puck in and it counted.

The cally-slew foot game featured 7 Pitt pp to 0 NYR. One of the clearest cases of bias in recent memory.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
There was a puck over the glass penalty against the Caps in the playoffs this year that wasn't called. Technically it might have been the right decision, but I was losing my mind at the time.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Straka's goal being disallowed in Game 5 against Buffalo. The Rangers would have been up 2-0 in the game, with less than 5 minutes left to, with a chance to go up 3-2 in the series, and finish the series at MSG for a trip to the Eastern Conference Finals.

Was it Rachunek stopping with the puck going off his skate? I remember earlier in the game a sabre forward punched the puck in and it counted.

The cally-slew foot game featured 7 Pitt pp to 0 NYR. One of the clearest cases of bias in recent memory.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

It could have been Rachunek. The other one that comes to mind was Game 2 of the Pittsburgh series, where Straka scored a tying a goal, only to have it disallowed because the ref behind the net claimed he blew the whistle because he lost sighe of the puck. The Rangers were shutout as a result.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Drury getting high sticked in that Game 5 against Penguins was the first thing that came to mind.

That game was terribly called.

RangersHank*

Lundqvist's reaction right after the final whistle, where he was yelling at the referee, was my lasting memory from that moment. And my reaction was very similar to his.

Yes, Neil didn't get all of the puck, so I can understand the confusion and the eagerness to say he didn't kick it in if you only look at it from one camera angle. Just like Bob Cole did on HNIC, he was adamant that it was a good goal, no question about it.

But if you look at all the angles...THERE IS LITERALLY NOTHING ELSE THAT COULD HAVE CAUSED THE PUCK TO MOVE IN THE DIRECTION THAT IT DID. I don't understand how they allowed it to stand. Absolutely absurd.

And that call could have theoretically ended our season early, if OTT scores again in the final minute to tie it and send the game to OT.

Those angles are tough to tell. Doesnt look like he kicked it at all. i havent seen any other angles

RangersHank*

And not a call but a bad referee play, anybody remember during a playoff series against washington, i forgot which one, in OT when the referee stepped in front of Dubinsky at the blue line and stopped a 2 on 0?

Pjosk

Dec 9, 2010
Lund

You mean this reaction? :)

"You F#!&ing SUCK!!"

ImIdaho

Choo-Choo-Choose me!
Mar 21, 2012
And not a call but a bad referee play, anybody remember during a playoff series against washington, i forgot which one, in OT when the referee stepped in front of Dubinsky at the blue line and stopped a 2 on 0?

Yeah. That was when we had a 3 goal lead on them, I believe. Would be the last season where the Caps beat us in the playoffs.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Dubinsky game misconduct for third-man in.
Drury high stick
Callahan interference on Crosby for getting slew-footed.
Hagelin getting a three-game suspension, and Neil getting jack ****.

I'm sure there are plenty of more.

But as the quote goes in Rounders:

In "Confessions of a Winning Poker Player," Jack King said, "Few players recall big pots they have won, strange as it seems, but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career." It seems true to me, cause walking in here, I can hardly remember how I built my bankroll, but I can't stop thinking of how I lost it.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Chris Neil kicking the puck in during the playoffs. I still think about that from time to time. To me it was blatant.

Also a Gaborik goal that got waived off that wouldve tied it against Brodeur. Forgot when that was though. He was pushed in and it was obvious.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Chris Neil kicking the puck in during the playoffs. I still think about that from time to time. To me it was blatant.

Also a Gaborik goal that got waived off that wouldve tied it against Brodeur. Forgot when that was though. He was pushed in and it was obvious.

only rthe devils get away with that one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad