World u18's

defensehockey19

Feb 1, 2012
Steve Santini wins defenseman of the tournament...... Looking forward to watching him play for the Petes next year!......
Ha! (One can wish right....)

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Majority of these guys have been playing together for almost the past 2 years. This is the biggest tournament for USA hockey, as opposed to us who consider the Ivan Hlinka as our biggest one for U18.

Good point, Now I haven't read anything in this thread recently so apologies if this got brought up. But I am glad you pointed out that basically at the Ivan Hlinka, the US sends a squad that is really no where near indicative of their strength at the Under 18 level. All props go to Canada, but just remember to look at the U.S. roster at this summers U-18, half of it is high school players that havent played in the Development program which plays against USHL and NCAA College teams. A few major Junior kids as well, but we don't send our Development program to this tournament, Canada gets to send it's best.

Canada had a great team at this years under 18, props to them, they played very well. They deserved to win; played one heck of a tournament and by far had the best goaltending.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Good point, Now I haven't read anything in this thread recently so apologies if this got brought up. But I am glad you pointed out that basically at the Ivan Hlinka, the US sends a squad that is really no where near indicative of their strength at the Under 18 level. All props go to Canada, but just remember to look at the U.S. roster at this summers U-18, half of it is high school players that havent played in the Development program which plays against USHL and NCAA College teams. A few major Junior kids as well, but we don't send our Development program to this tournament, Canada gets to send it's best.

Canada had a great team at this years under 18, props to them, they played very well. They deserved to win; played one heck of a tournament and by far had the best goaltending.

Then lets get crackin and forget the gentleman's agreement between us "you can have that tournament and we'll take that one" lets dump the useless Ivan Hlinka tournament and play a 5 game series every august Best on Best. Play a few in the States, (close to the border though) and play a few in Canada...and lets settle it the old fashioned way... I think both countries are better served from a developmental standpoint of playing those 5 games than the 6 or 7 they play in the Czech Rep. every august.

The U.S. sort of loses its advantage of playing together for the entire year as both teams will be coming off summer training, hold a 2 week camp and play the 5 games...

Last edited:

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Then lets get crackin and forget the gentleman's agreement between us "you can have that tournament and we'll take that one" lets dump the useless Ivan Hlinka tournament and play a 5 game series every august Best on Best. Play a few in the States, (close to the border though) and play a few in Canada...and lets settle it the old fashioned way... I think both countries are better served from a developmental standpoint of playing those 5 games than the 6 or 7 they play in the Czech Rep. every august.

The U.S. sort of loses its advantage of playing together for the entire year as both teams will be coming off summer training, hold a 2 week camp and play the 5 games...

That would be great but when do some of these kids get an off season? I think kids need some time off to relax,rehab and enjoy other things in life. I think that's why US Hockey shuts them down for a bit and gives other kids a chance.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
That would be great but when do some of these kids get an off season? I think kids need some time off to relax,rehab and enjoy other things in life. I think that's why US Hockey shuts them down for a bit and gives other kids a chance.

That's fine too, let's keep doing what we currently do, but lets not get carried away by the results when it is clearly obvious one team has a far greater advantage over the others, or let's get carried away by the results, but don't be so shocked (not referring to you specifically) and so indignant when things don't go you way that all the hoopla and flag waving gets thrown back in your (face)...as some American posters were apparently put out yesterday. I just find it all laughable really... but I'll tell you this, if such a series were to come about, where both teams were more or less on equal footing, starting from the same starting point... The U.S. may win a few here and there, once every five years given the ups and downs in the developmental cycle, I'd concede 1 tournament win in every 5. And that's about all.

bidzey*

I was surprised at the amount of emotion from the American players had after the game. I know it's normal for a tear or two to slip down, but many of them were bawling their eyes out. I know it's the most important game of their life at the time and everything, I just felt so bad for those kids.

Last edited by a moderator:

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I was surprised at the amount of emotion from the American players had after the game. I know it's normal for a tear or two to slip down, but many of them were bawling their eyes out. I know it's the most important game of their life at the time and everything, I just felt so bad for those kids.

I know what u mean. One player in particular seemed to be "balling". For me that level of crying is left in the dressing room. I dont mean to be insensitive because Im far from it, but at some point it becomes selfish for the player to do that and recieve the camera on him 24/7. We all know it hurts, walk away and deal with it in private.

After the game, reporters can focus on those tears and make it a story, when its not about him. Im sure they cried as a team. It hurts bad, it tears u apart. I think if the eyes got watery and tears came down thats completely understandable to show this on the ice. If its too much pain cover your face with a towel or get away from the camera's. Id be the first to support a player that was in this situation. When the player sits on the bench and will not leave and publicly shows this level of emotion, he is asking for attention. In the end I dont respect this type of behaviour. Im not one to show any sad emotions in front of opposing teams. I would have cried to as coach or player in that situation, I just think its better to let out the heavy emotions in the room.

bidzey*

I know what u mean. One player in particular seemed to be "balling". For me that level of crying is left in the dressing room. I dont mean to be insensitive because Im far from it, but at some point it becomes selfish for the player to do that and recieve the camera on him 24/7. We all know it hurts, walk away and deal with it in private.

After the game, reporters can focus on those tears and make it a story, when its not about him. Im sure they cried as a team. It hurts bad, it tears u apart. I think if the eyes got watery and tears came down thats completely understandable to show this on the ice. If its too much pain cover your face with a towel or get away from the camera's. Id be the first to support a player that was in this situation. When the player sits on the bench and will not leave and publicly shows this level of emotion, he is asking for attention. In the end I dont respect this type of behaviour. Im not one to show any sad emotions in front of opposing teams. I would have cried to as coach or player in that situation, I just think its better to let out the heavy emotions in the room.

i agree with all that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad