Prospect Info: World Junior Championships 2024

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
There is a very interesting interview with Armstrong and Kerber on the espn radio Kerbside portion about these WJC kids and their families. I’m glad to see the Blues making this kind of effort as an organization to make the parents feel like the Blues will watch out for them. Steen’s take on Stancl is also interesting from a cerebral player that he was. He’s a fan.

Also good to see a solid showings by Pulkkinen and Solberg as it makes me more excited that the Blues will get some quality players in the first and 2nd round of the draft. Both definitely have to be in discussions for the first or 2nd round.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
There is a very interesting interview with Armstrong and Kerber on the espn radio Kerbside portion about these WJC kids and their families. I’m glad to see the Blues making this kind of effort as an organization to make the parents feel like the Blues will watch out for them. Steen’s take on Stancl is also interesting from a cerebral player that he was. He’s a fan.

Also good to see a solid showings by Pulkkinen and Solberg as it makes me more excited that the Blues will get some quality players in the first and 2nd round of the draft. Both definitely have to be in discussions for the first or 2nd round.
Is there somewhere we can find this interview?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Pending upset: Germany up 4-3 against Finland with 8 min left. Kaskimaki almost tied it. Puck went in but it was ruled he pushed the German goalie’s leg into the net to accomplish it. No goal.

Finnish goalie Kokko has not been sharp. Finland has never lost to Germany. 24-0, pending the results of this game.

EDIT: 4-3 Final. Germany wins. Finland finished the last 1:58 on the PP and couldn’t tie it. The German goalie’s 5’10” 155 lbs, stopped the last 33 shots he faced.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Blueston

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
First time Germany has ever beaten Finland...cool moment for them. Now 1-25 against Finland all time haha

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
First time Germany has ever beaten Finland...cool moment for them. Now 1-25 against Finland all time haha
quote-nobody-beats-vitas-gerulaitis-seventeen-times-in-a-row-vitas-gerulaitis-64-16-12.jpg

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Cute pic, but does anyone know why it’s only showing up if I reply to it? Otherwise shows like it’s broken link. I’m on chrome on iPad.

When you link to pics on the net, it doesn't show properly outside of the posting window. I had to download and then upload the pic to get it to show proper. This seems to be across multiple devices. So it is a HF issue, not an ipad/phone/pc one.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Stancl with an assist on the last goal for Czechia. If you had Dvorsky on your Bingo card as the last Blues prospect to dent the scoresheet at the tournament, come get your prize.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
After spending Christmas with family, I'm back home and catching up on WJC games. Thoughts on Cechia-Slovakia.

First, Slovakia is legit medal contender. If Nemec and slaf were there i'd say they would have real shot at gold. that might be ambitious for this team, but i wouldn't rule them out. having mesar, dvo, and honzek on separate lines makes them tough matchup i think for anyone. czechs, on the other hand, look like 1 line team and unlikely to do much damage here.

i focus my viewing on blues prospects and draft eligibles, so a couple additional thoughts on that.

dvo is such a stud that while he was "quiet" and didn't have "great" game. he drew 2 penalties from being deprived on point blank chances, had a great chance to score off quick release/redirect that he got stoned on, and made a beautiful pass that might have been goal if misiak didn't take 45 seconds to dust it off before shooting. he looks so much more comfortable and involved than he did a year ago at this tourney. i expect he will make bigger impact as tourney goes on, as he did last year at u18s.

pekarcik looks young and raw, but he is highly involved. noticeable although more in creating havoc than scoring chances. honestly, to make this team as 18 yo is good step. i expect next year he will be a top player for slovakia here. i'm pleased with his progress this year overall, and think while he is at least 3-4 years away from nhl, he is on track to be quality middle 6 winger in the dallas drake vein.

stancl- this was my first chance to really watch him (i saw him in u18s but didn't focus on him and that czech team wasn't good). big guy, he has great pro frame, was engaged on board battles, forecheck, seems to play responsible game (as army mentioned in interview with kerbs than someone linked to). reminds me of torpo. has real chance to be quality bottom 6 winger. i didn't see much offensive upside from him, but as one of youngest guys on middling team it's unsurprising to see much offense. not ruling out that he has more offense but not really expecting it. he too is eligible next year, so that will be much better chance for him to show upside potential.

jiricek (draft eligible)- unfortunately biggest takeaway from him is that he got hurt. got tangled up with pecarcik and injured his leg. he came back for 1 shift in 3rd, tried to defend dvo, and went down again not to return. hopefully not serious. aside from that, didn't seem noticeable. from my previous viewings i'm less bullish on him than many, as he has clear size and skills, but just feel like something is missing there. has big upside but high bust potential i think.

Reactions: LGB

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
just watched canada-finland game. can't say i was particularly impressed with either team, although canada i suspect will improve over tourney and be medal contender. again, only focusing on blues prospects and intriguing draft eligibles.

kaskimaki- one of our better "forgotten" prospects, he is great example of how much difference a year can make. last year as 18 yo he was on finn wjc team in bit role and didn't show much. this year he is top 6 andgetting pp time and is much more noticeable. had beautiful tip for finn's first goal. he is playing wing here, but he has played center at times in past. he is wags away from nhl- needs to get much stronger and work on his balance/skating, as he seemed to be knocked over too easily at times.- so he will have time to define who he is as player over next few years. i could see him becoming 2nd line winger or perhaps 3rd line center if his development continues on current trajectory. if we didn't have 7 1st rounders from last few years i think we would be much more excited about him, as he has look of potentially a really nice nhl player (maybe a less physcial barbie?).

helenius (draft eligible)- 17 yo center was perhaps finns best player. like this player a great deal. he is performing at a level in liiga (top finnish mens league) that suggests he could be sebastian aho-level player. potential top 5 pick, he is probably 2nd best draft eligible prospect in tourney (after celebrini). had bit of a quiet game but as 17 yo top line center playing against candada he didn't look out of place. this might be his last time here, as he could be in nhl as soon as next season.

pulkkinen (draft eligible)- big overager had uneven game i thought. showed some skill, didn't like his defending, his skating is a bit of question but at his size with his reach i think is fine. i think there is enough potential here to warrant 3rd rd pick, maybe even 2nd, but i didn't see 1st rounder today. now, draft isn't tomorrow, so he has time to move up. definitely someone to keep an eye on (i think he is one of @PerryTurnbullfan favorites?) he made his liiga debut recently, which should be good for his development.

celebrini (draft eligible)- he is best player in draft and best player on canada here and may be best player in tournament as 17 yo. if we didn't just see bedard last year we would be talking more about how great he is. as a prospect i place him on level with hughes or mackinnon.

Reactions: Drubilly

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Stancl didnt get much ice time against Norway today (11:27) but did have a nice little secondary assist on Kulich's hattrick goal in garbage time. Think he had some sort of issue with his skate as the broadcast showed the trainer changing his blade on the bench towards the end of the second.

He seems like a smart player and you have to like his size. My questions with him are his skating and his motor. Can he play with enough pace and speed to make it as a pro? Smaller North American rink and north/south playstyle may be a better fit for him.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Stancl didnt get much ice time against Norway today (11:27) but did have a nice little secondary assist on Kulich's hattrick goal in garbage time. Think he had some sort of issue with his skate as the broadcast showed the trainer changing his blade on the bench towards the end of the second.

He seems like a smart player and you have to like his size. My questions with him are his skating and his motor. Can he play with enough pace and speed to make it as a pro? Smaller North American rink and north/south playstyle may be a better fit for him.
Aren’t they playing on na ice?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
If you open the full image they give a definition near the bottom. Basically a summation of all the stats they manually track.
Thanks. As a grumpy old man I’m still learning some of these new fangled stats. Must get back to getting kids off my lawn and yelling at clouds now.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I didn't record US-Norway game (I thought would be rout), but the beginning of it was on after Canada game I had recorded. That MBN sure is impressive. Looked like bigger Ryan Leonard. Definitely see why he is getting top 10 buzz.

Solburg looked good too. Need to see more, but definitely looked like guy going in first few rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad